PDA

View Full Version : A new Topic?

Ad-Vice_Man
06-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Dear Moderators:

Maybe it's time to either add a new topic, subtopic or rename this one "Huggytree's Business 101"

:)

vangogh
06-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Funny.

huggy is just an active thread starter and conversation starter, which works out for all of us. Fortunately the discussions can still help most everyone. I'd suggest others post more thoughts and questions about their business too.

I know you're joking, but I'd say this is really for the rest of us to start more threads.

Ad-Vice_Man
06-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Funny.

huggy is just an active thread starter and conversation starter, which works out for all of us. Fortunately the discussions can still help most everyone. I'd suggest others post more thoughts and questions about their business too.

I know you're joking, but I'd say this is really for the rest of us to start more threads.

I am joking. What Huggy is experiencing many business owners experience... The difference is Huggy is actively seeking help, which is to be commended.

Evan
06-08-2009, 10:44 AM
LOL! In school, they'd consider this to be similar to a business management class. Perhaps Huggy's business can be used as a "case study" for group work!

phanio
06-08-2009, 02:05 PM
I think it is great to see how advice is used in actual application. Most of the time questions are asked, advice is given, then silence.

Plus, I consider myself knowledgable but have picked up some tips through these threads.

vangogh
06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
They usually do turn into good discussions. huggy gets some tailored advice and the rest of us get to share thoughts and learn some general ideas from each other that we can apply to our own situation.

In the end the basic concepts for how to run and market a business are the same. The details change from business to business, but the basic concepts are still the same.

huggytree
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
i dont see anyone posting anymore, so everytime i come on the site i think something

im picking up the slack for all of you!!!

alot of my latest posts are alomst the same as what ive posted in the past...im just getting something going.

i wouldnt mind a special section called 'huggys corner'?????

Patrysha
06-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Hmmm sounds reminiscent of a 70's tv show character...

I appreciate that you ask questions. I am a replier for the most part...not a thread starter. Starting topics takes too much effort and brainpower...

vangogh
06-08-2009, 09:32 PM
am a replier for the most part...not a thread starter.

That's true of a lot of us here. On the old forum I almost never started a thread, but here I've started quite a few just to get discussions started. It's actually pretty easy to start a thread, easier than you think at first.

Anytime you're reading something interesting grab the URL and start a thread here about it. Post a quick summary and why you're linking to the post and maybe grab a quote or two. Instant discussion.

Patrysha
06-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Hmmm...intriguing thought.

Most of the time while I am posting here though I am just taking a quick break from work. I "work" all day and half the night, but take frequent breaks.

Unless, of course I'm on a library jag. I go on binges of reading 10-15 books a week for three to four months and then go without visiting the library for a couple of months. (Usually coinciding with a trip to the bookstore...for some reason I read books I own much slower than those I borrow). When I am on a library jag, I work till 3pm and then spend the nights with my nose in a book (or two if it's a particularly fast and easy read).

Today I was out of the house from 9am-3pm (with a break between noon and one where I came home to check email and hang with hubby for lunch) and have been on the computer since 3:30 (except for the 20 minutes it took to cook dinner).

Don't know why I explained all that...

But I don't feel like deleting it...

vangogh
06-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Funny.

I guess with new threads my thought is if you wish someone would start a conversation about something just start it yourself. I know most of us would sooner reply to a topic than start one, but it's really pretty easy to start one. And if you do you get to control the direction of the conversation a little more.

KristineS
06-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I start a lot of threads for the same reason Vangogh does, so that there are new discussions. Most of the time the threads I start are either about things that interest me or things I've seen online that I think would start an interesting discussion here.

Personally, I think the threads that Huggy starts are great. There's a lot of good advice for small business owners in those threads.

Ad-Vice_Man
06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Starting threads is fun... just pick a topic and open upp the discusion.. Just like I did here.

Have to appologize for my "vacation" from the forum, i got quite busy there on my actual business for a while. When I came back I noticed that most of the posts were started by huggy and VOILA a new thread topic

Steve B
06-09-2009, 05:47 PM
The ones that HT starts are pretty much the only ones I'm interested in.

I just don't have any interest in all the topics related to SEO. I wish this forum would attract more businesses that I can relate to (landscapers, house painters, home improvement, deck construction, etc.)

Keep 'em coming HT!

vangogh
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Steve if you start more threads on the topics you want to see discussed those threads will attract more of the business owners that you can relate to. If you wait for the businesses to show up you're leaving it open to chance and if the forum generates more and more topics like SEO who do you think the forum will attract.

I'd argue that the majority of the threads here aren't so specific to the web and seo, though. We talk plenty about managing and marketing any business.