PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with annoying "regulars" that never buy anything.....

Life_N_Cancun
09-23-2015, 10:37 AM
I've got a situation that is growing more and more annoying each day. An elderly man comes in every morning to my small store and wants to talk and sit idle... he NEVER buys anything (the one time he bought something I had to refund him the next day). To make matters worse he's vulgar and constantly chews tobacco and spits in a plastic cup.... He also can't keep from handling everything within reach on the counters. I can't just tell him to get lost because: A: He's elderly, B: He's crippled and in a motorized wheelchair, and C: He's the kind that would make sure to tell everyone in town I threw him out because he's old and wheelchair bound and any other lies he thinks up. In other words, I wish he'd just stay home!

It's become to the point where I can write off the first 2 hours of each day because I know he's going to discourage paying customers and annoy me enough to keep me from working. To make matters worse, he'll spill his nasty spit cup about every three days and his wheelchair has caused damage to every counter and doorway in the store....

What am I to do? The best strategy I've been able to come up with is to just say "hi" and then try to look really busy, but even then he'll sit for about an hour before leaving. I also tried to tell him one day that I was just busy and couldn't talk, and that didn't go well.... and he about broke my door with his power chair when leaving in anger.. but started coming back about three days later. I'm at the point where I can feel my blood pressure go up when he starts wheeling in..... How do you deal with people like that? I've even thought about making my store UNhandicap accessible just to keep him out! It's driving me nuts!

Business Attorney
09-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Have you considered banning chewing tobacco? That might be enough to get him to stop loitering in your store, or at least shorten his visits. Even if it doesn't send him elsewhere, it would at least eliminate his gross habit from your shop.

David Hunter
09-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Yikes.

Well... for starters, tell him he can no longer chew tobacco in your store. Also, what is it you're selling? Maybe you could put up a sign that says, "Please Do Not Touch." This is your store and you make the rules.

Oh, and maybe put up a "No Loitering" sign up on the counter along with the "Please Do Not Touch." Maybe he'll start getting the message.

Though, it just sounds like he's bored and wants a friend. So, another option could be to put him to work! No, you don't have to pay him, just start having him help you with whatever. Maybe he could put things on shelves? Again, not sure what you're selling.

Who knows, maybe this negative could turn into a positive.

Harold Mansfield
09-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Tough situation, and I've been there when working the grave yard shift in bars and it sucks.

Sounds like a cranky, but lonely old man. Or he also could just be a jerk.
I agree with the no chewing tobacco thing. I don't think anyone allows that inside anymore. I'll bet that will be enough. If not, "No loitering" pretty much takes care of everything you're describing.

Freelancier
09-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Yes, a bored and lonely old guy. Someday we'll all probably get to the same point.

I agree with putting him to work. Since you're selling stuff use him to drive you traffic. Offer him a small amount of money to go around on his motorized scooter and hand out flyers giving the customers some discount on some item you want to move each day if the customer comes in with the flyer. Each day is a different offer and you can track how well it's going and how well he's doing with handing them out. It'll keep him busy, hopefully earn you back what you spend, and you'll just have to tell him he can't be vulgar in front of customers, because you want them to come in, not get turned off.

See how it goes for 2-3 weeks, then decide if you have to "let him go". :)

Life_N_Cancun
10-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all of your replies, I'm irritated to say that I haven't had any improvement on this issue. We've already got a no tobacco sign, and the one time I mentioned something he responded with something to the effect of "ain't hurt nobody" (aka, I don't care what the policy is and can't take a hint). He literally nearly ran off a customer on Tuesday by wheeling right up into our conversation, spit cup and all, and grabbing the items we were discussing from right off the counter, TWICE. Meanwhile today he rolled in right after I opened the door to sit and flatulent odorously for about an hour, and would just stare at me when I stopped talking and tried to work. Asking him if he wants to do any work will get a "what you gonna pay me?" remark to which anything less than a King's ransom will get a "shhhiiiiiiiiiiiittt!" response. So thats out. There is no telling how many people think he already works here or owns the place and won't be back because he makes them uncomfortable. The fact is he thinks we are his friends, and that's just not the case, but at the same time I'm too soft hearted to stand up and forcibly tell him to never come back he's not welcome. (not to mention all the old people, disabled, and other "organisations" would get wind and file lawsuit ) I'm really fed up, but I'm going to have to be the bad guy and bare hatred from everyone if I tell him he can't be here... I understand that he doesn't realize he's causing such problems, and I don't want to be an elder hater, but it's directly affecting my livelihood at this point, and testing my patience to the point that I don't want to even unlock the door! :mad:

Harold Mansfield
10-02-2015, 02:09 PM
You have to kick him out and ban him from the store. It seems like it's beyond the point of any amicable solution. You're running a business here. Toss him, and if he comes back call the cops. If you have to get a legal order to keep him off the property, then do that too.
I don't see where you have a choice. Don't let the fact that he's old and in a wheelchair bother you.

If you have a security system, edit together some tapes of his actions. If not, film him once or twice. I honestly don't think you need to be worried about legal action. Treat him just like any other *sshole who does the same thing. You don't get a pass because you're old and disabled.

JMO of course. Take my words with a grain of salt. I'm an old bartender and club manager. I'm not used to giving anyone a second chance. I'll toss out a Bishop if they're behaving badly.

He's pushing your buttons because he knows you're trying NOT to cause a scene. When people know you'll cause a scene and drag their ass out, they stop testing you. It's worth the scene today to get rid of the problem and operate in peace tomorrow.

Ariene
10-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Wow, that's a serious problem. I would agree with "banning tabaco" idea, but what if he will ignore it? The situation will be the same