PDA

View Full Version : Google getting in on Home Services recommendations

Harold Mansfield
09-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Not sure if this is going to be SEO related or a new paid promotional product, but apparently Google is getting in on the Angie's List, Home Advisor game to connect searchers with local home services companies and contractors.

I haven't heard any specifics on how it will work, but hopefully it will be a better option than Adwords for competitive markets.
Report: Google To Launch Search Service To Connect Searchers To Home Service Providers (http://searchengineland.com/report-google-to-launch-search-service-to-connect-searchers-to-home-service-providers-218178)

vangogh
09-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Interesting, though a lot of details still to be determined. Maybe this ends up like the advertising version of Google Local or Google Business or whatever they're calling it now.

Harold Mansfield
09-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Interesting, though a lot of details still to be determined. Maybe this ends up like the advertising version of Google Local or Google Business or whatever they're calling it now.

When I heard this it made me think specifically about local clients with tons of competition. Adwords is almost a waste when 20 other businesses are dropping a ton of money to be in the top spots. I'm wondering how they're going to structure this so that it doesn't become the same thing.

billbenson
09-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Everything I believe I have seen here about Angies List and others gives me zero confidence in the people that they recommend. I have had all my laborers that do stuff on my house from personal recommendations.

I don't see how G could have a credible service competing with Angies List unless their objective is just to put them out of business.

There has to be more to this than they are saying...

Harold Mansfield
09-24-2015, 07:20 PM
I actually get a lot of work from Angie's List. But Google is a better place to have your reviews IMO because they can be seen by everyone.
If Google wanted to control this space, they certainly have the resources.

The big problem with Angie's List is that it's a closed system...you can't see anything in it unless you're a member. Compared to other review sites that are open and it's listings can be found in search, it's going to be hard for them to compete going forward. And the site itself is poorly designed, hard to navigate, creating a profile is cumbersome, and doesn't have SEO friendly URLs. It's actually kind of like My Space.