PDA

View Full Version : Good GPS tracking systems?

theDIfellas
06-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Do you guys know of some with good value? I need to track vehicles/trucks. Most are set up with a GPS/Nav system.

vangogh
06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't know any offhand. I did try to find a comparison review without luck, though there is plenty of info in general if you search for it.

One thing I did come across was this Free GPS Fleet Tracking Software (http://www.fleettrackingguide.com/). Seems like it has some decent features too.

nighthawk
06-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Do you guys know of some with good value? I need to track vehicles/trucks. Most are set up with a GPS/Nav system.

what exactly to you mean by "most are fitted with a GPS/Nav system"? GPS itself is a passive technology, GPS satellites send out a signal every second, and a GPS device receives these and works out its position based on these signals. There is no communication back to the satellite from the device, and therefore a tomtom or typical built in navigation system is not going to work for tracking.

What you need is a GPS tracking device, which not only receives the signal and calculates its position, but then transmits this signal back to a central location, typically via mobile phone networks.

I cant recommend any products unfortunately, but if you search for GPS tracking devices you will find plenty of reviews.