PDA

View Full Version : Special Tax Breaks for Small Businesses

phanio
06-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Received the latest edition of the IRS’s “e-News for Small Businesses” newsletter.

In this issue, the IRS’s outlines several potential tax breaks for small business that are part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act signed into law in February. Most of these tax breaks are for this year only – thus, wanted to pass these along as now is the time to start thinking about 2009 taxes. For information visit the IRS’s website:

Faster Write-Offs for Certain Capital Expenditures

Many small businesses that invest in new property and equipment will be able to write off most or all of these purchases on their 2009 returns. The new law extends through 2009 the special 50 percent depreciation allowance, also known as bonus depreciation, and increased limits on the section 179 deduction, named for the relevant section of the Internal Revenue Code. Normally, businesses recover these capital investments through annual depreciation deductions spread over several years. Both of these provisions encourage these investments by enabling businesses to write them off more quickly.
The bonus depreciation provision generally enables businesses to deduct half the cost of qualifying property in the year it is placed in service.

The section 179 deduction enables small businesses to deduct up to $250,000 of the cost of machinery, equipment, vehicles, furniture and other qualifying property placed in service during 2009. Without the new law, the limit would have dropped to $133,000. The existing $25,000 limit still applies to sport utility vehicles. A special phase-out provision effectively targets the section 179 deduction to small businesses and generally eliminates it for most larger businesses.

Bonus depreciation and the section 179 deduction are claimed on Form 4562. Further details are in the instructions for this form.

Expanded Net Operating Loss Carryback

Many small businesses that had expenses exceeding their incomes for 2008 can choose to carry those losses back for up to five years, instead of the usual two. For small businesses that were profitable in the past but lost money in 2008, this could mean a special tax refund. The option is available for a small business that has no more than an average of $15 million in gross receipts over a three-year period.

This option is still available for most eligible taxpayers, but only for a limited time. A corporation that operates on a calendar-year basis, for example, must file a claim by Sept. 15, 2009. For eligible individuals, the deadline is Oct. 15, 2009.

Eligible individuals should file a claim using Form 1045, and corporations should use Form 1139. Details can be found in the instructions for each of these forms, and answers to frequently-asked questions are posted on IRS.gov.

Exclusion of Gain on the Sale of Certain Small Business Stock

The new law provides an extra incentive for individuals who invest in small businesses. Investors in qualified small business stock can exclude 75 percent of the gain upon sale of the stock. This increased exclusion applies only if the qualified small business stock is acquired after Feb. 17, 2009 and before Jan. 1, 2011, and held for more than five years. For previously-acquired stock, the exclusion rate remains at 50 percent in most cases.

Estimated Tax Requirement Modified

Many individual small business taxpayers may be able to defer, until the end of the year, paying a larger part of their 2009 tax obligations. For 2009, eligible individuals can make quarterly estimated tax payments equal to 90 percent of their 2009 tax or 90 percent of their 2008 tax, whichever is less. Individuals qualify if they received more than half of their gross income from their small businesses in 2008 and meet other requirements. For details, see Publication 505.

COBRA Credit

Employers that provide the 65 percent COBRA premium subsidy under ARRA to eligible former employees claim credit for this subsidy on their quarterly or annual employment tax returns. To help avoid imposing an unnecessary cash-flow burden, affected employers can reduce their employment tax deposits by the amount of the credit. For details, see Form 941. Answers to frequently-asked questions are posted on IRS.gov.
Other ARRA business provisions relate to discharges of certain business indebtedness, the holding period for S corporation built-in gains and acceleration of certain business credits for corporations. Also see Fact Sheet FS-2009-11.

I cannot stress enough the importance of these programs and that small business owners should be looking at taking advantage of them NOW – It will be too late come the end of the year when most business owners start to think about taxes. These many be the part of the stimulus that small businesses will see.

Evan
06-03-2009, 12:18 AM
The new law extends through 2009 the special 50 percent depreciation allowance, also known as bonus depreciation.

The section 179 deduction enables small businesses to deduct up to $250,000 of the cost of machinery, equipment, vehicles, furniture and other qualifying property placed in service during 2009.

The bonus depreciation and Section 179 cannot be taken if you have a net loss, and can only be used to the extent it doesn't generate a loss. So if your net income was $10,000 (before depreciation) -- and you had purchased a $40,000 truck -- your depreciation cannot exceed $10,000.

As with any of these credits, you should consult with a tax professional. These aren't advantageous for every business, though they do provide most businesses with a great incentive.

Steve B
06-03-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm glad I have an accountant. That stuff is soooo boring to me.

Evan
06-03-2009, 11:51 PM
That stuff is soooo boring to me.

Wow, that's the first time I have heard that one. :D

Ad-Vice_Man
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
The boring stuff is where you make/lose money.

Do you think they make it boring and difficult on purpose to disincent you to only pay what your obligated?

phanio
06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
The bonus depreciation and Section 179 cannot be taken if you have a net loss, and can only be used to the extent it doesn't generate a loss.

True - but isn't there other provision in this plan that allow loss carry forwards that can be used to help receive credits today?

ArcSine
06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey, guys...check my thinking on this one, if you would, please...

I know Sec 179 is limited to positive taxable income, but I thought the bonus depreciation had no similar TI limitation.

Thanks!

Evan
06-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Do you think they make it boring and difficult on purpose to disincent you to only pay what your obligated?

I'm not sure it's complicated to create a disincentive -- but only because they want it to apply to certain things. The intent is good, but people don't always see it that way.

True - but isn't there other provision in this plan that allow loss carry forwards that can be used to help receive credits today?

Losses can be carried back 2 years and carried forward 20. Though it depends on the taxation of your business. For example, an S-Corp loss just passes through to the stockholders. If you were married and your spouse worked, that loss would offset that income potentially providing a "wash" to that loss.

I know Sec 179 is limited to positive taxable income, but I thought the bonus depreciation had no similar TI limitation.

That's right -- but the second you have no taxable income, you lose the ability to combine 179 and bonus depreciation. But the bonus depreciation alone could cause you to have a loss (or be taken if you already have a loss). Whether such a thing is beneficial is up to you. Keep in mind that in order to qualify, the asset must be NEW (not used, but new to you).

masinka
06-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Small business owners will receive an additional tax break on their spending in an attempt to raise the level of business investment. It is expected that business investment will fall 2.5 per cent this financial year, and will not recover before 2010 or later. Instead of a 30 per cent tax break, business owners will be offered a 50 per cent tax deduction for spending on capital assets. This means that business owners can get an extra deduction on new capital assets (cars, computers, etc.) that cost over $ 1000. These items must be installed and ready for use by December 31, 2010. This benefit will be attainable for businesses that have less than $2 million turnover. The tax deductions will come at a cost of approximately $141 million to the governmen...

Evan
06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
The tax deductions will come at a cost of approximately $141 million to the governmen...

Eh, it's not "costing" money for these deductions per se -- it's lost revenue. :D

phanio
06-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Last week I read about a new provision that if passed will allow merchants and retailers to negotiate rates with processors. Would love to hear if anyone is taking advantage and if it is providing any benefit.

Spider
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Spam...........

cbscreative
08-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Spam...........

Got it. That spam was posted at 11:03, flagged by Spider at 11:05, and deleted by me at 11:19 along with all the other turds dropped by this lowlife. It's not often I get the jump on vangogh for house cleaning.

Spider
08-10-2009, 11:16 PM
You can delete my post as irrelevant now, Steve. I just happened to be online at the same time as the spammer and was following him around for a few minutes. He gave up and left!

Such fun!

cbscreative
08-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Frederick, I thought about deleting your post flagging the spam here, and the other threads as well, but then I thought, "Why not leave them?" It does serve to show we get rid of the riff raff very quickly. Since I was also on at the same time as the spammer, I think my ban had a lot to do with him leaving (forced him off really).

Too bad this spammer is not likely to tell all his friends not to bother spamming us. It's also too bad the spammers don't read first so they would know their deeds here will gain them nothing. Oh well, it keeps us busy trashing their efforts for ill gotten gain.

Evan
08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I was confused at who was spamming from this. It didn't make sense that it was Frederick, but with just "Spam...." it's possible to just edit his text like that (without there being an 'edited by' notation).

Spider
08-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Spam...........

(This was directed at a drive-by spam message that has since been deleted. My retort has been left to stand as a deterent to others. This accusation does not apply to the post that now appears immediately above it and is not a moderator's edit of something I posted.)

cbscreative
08-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I made a slight edit to my post (#13) for clarity so future readers should not have this same confusion. This thread can now get back on topic after such a fun diversion.