PDA

View Full Version : My web design business

TechGuy1
05-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi, my name is Brad. I started a PC repair business last year. I got a few clients then I stopped so I could go back to school. I am now starting it back up again along with web design/hosting. I run 2 websites Techguyinfo.com (http://www.techguyinfo.com) for the PC Repair, and tgwebservice.com (http://www.tgwebservice.com) for design/hosting. I have advertised over the internet and in the local paper, but not much luck yet. I lowered my prices below the usual standard, hoping to gain some clients. I was wondering if anyone had any internet advertising strategies. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

SteveC
05-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Let me ask you a question, if you cannot use the Internet to gain clients how do you expect to design websites for clients that achieves this goal? The simple answer is you cannot... in fact I would suggest you focus on one area of your business and not two... then to gain clients all you need do is go out and meet people, go networking become known for what you do and people will use you.

And if you really want to advertise online, use Google Adwords... if you know what you're doing you'll make money and gain customers... if you don't it'll cost you a bucket full just to learn.

vangogh
05-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Brad there's a lot of ways to advertise online or offline. I'd agree with Steve about focusing on one thing. It's hard enough to get one business going, let alone two. You may want to try getting one business going to the point where it can support you and then start offering services in the other.

As far as marketing online it really comes down to figuring out who your customers are, figuring out where those people spend their time, and doing what you can to maintain a presence in those locations. You can spend time on forums and social media sites. You can learn search engine optimization to help your site gain more search traffic. You can advertise with AdWords or similar. You can start a blog. You can guest post for other bloggers and write articles you publish on sites other than your own. There are a lot of ways, but again it comes down to building a brand in front of a group of people likely to want your services.

rezzy
05-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Hello Brad,

I am sorta in the same boat as your are. I am in the process of running what I consider to be two seperate business, which you lumped into one. I design/program/develop websites and also offer hosting.

I think these two services go hand in hand because they often times, a client will want to deal with the same people who created their site.

You on the other hand have two business ideas, which require different skill sets. Are not exactly complimentary customers. I am not sure what to offer in the way of advertising. It really just comes from networking with people and introducing them into your business slowly.

nealrm
05-31-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi Brad,
First the bad news, then the good news.
Starting a new business is hard work. Just running an ad in the paper or on the internet wont cut. A google search returns 300,000,000 sites for the term "Web Design". "Computer repair" returns 33,000,000. So unless you have a large bank roll to out bid the competition, it's going to be hard to gain traction going that way.

The good news. One of the best forms of advertising costs little (But does take a lot of time) Work on your social network. You went back to school. That mean you should have the start of a network. Your classmates, your teacher, your friends etc. Join the chamber of commerce, the JC's, the Elks, the Kawanas etc. A good word-of-mouth campaign will bring in more customers that all other forms of advertising combined.

KristineS
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Brad,

I'll echo Vangogh's advice, because I give the exact same advice all the time. One of the keys to marketing is figuring out who your customers are, then figuring out where they will be, and then making sure you're there as well.

You also have to be willing to put in the time. Research takes time, building a social network takes time, and convincing people they want to work with you will take time.

I would also have to agree that trying to start two businesses at once can be tough. I've done this, and like your businesses, the additional businesses our parent company started were not complimentary. It ended up splitting our focus too much and making us all crazy. Pick one business and concentrate on it. That will definitely make things easier.

TechGuy1
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the advice guys. I hear what you are saying about running 2 businesses but like Rezzy said, they go hand in hand. I am trying to establish "Tech Guy" as my business. We just offer 2 different services.

Now, I'm great at the Tech stuff, but social networking is one of my flaws. I have always been, I guess kind of shy. I'm not the type to go up to people and start talking fast and start selling myself. I kind of fumble for words. I did try going around my town to small businesses and asking if they had a website, which is something I would have never thought I would do. It was not too bad, but I had no luck. What do you suggest for someone like me to create a social network?

SteveC
06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Brad,

You have got to get over being shy, you need to be able to speak to people about what you do easily, friendly and in a manner that people perceive you as being an expert... do that and you'll gain business.... so basically the thing you don't want to do, you have got to learn to do if you don't you will always struggle....

Everyone when starting a business from scratch has to learn how to sell... and it's easier to become known as an expert in one field rather than two... and here is something, why don't you pick one area of your business that your really good at and concentrate on that... then approach companies that offer the other service for referrals... ie, assume you concentrate on website design approach PC and Network companies to gain website design referrals... and you pass them yours and vice versa... this can be an extremely good way of joint marketing... and it's certainly something we do.
if you don't you will always struggle.

KristineS
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Brad,

SteveC is right, you do need to be able to be comfortable talking about your business.

If you're not terribly comfortable with talking to strangers or speaking in public, practice. Sit down and write out what people would want to know about your business and then work up a few different ways to give out that information. Role play with friends or family and have conversations about your business as though they were a customer. It sounds silly, but it does work and it will help you get more comfortable.

You might also seek out places that can help you with public speaking. Toastmasters is one such organization.

vangogh
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I'll echo the above. Brad you will find it's easier to network online than offline. Your shyness doesn't get involved as much. Most of the people you'll be connecting with are probably also pretty shy themselves. You've already started your social networking by being here. Not too hard right. The rest of social media isn't really all that different.

Offline you just have to find a way to get over your shyness. It's not as hard as it seems. Some of it is simply being prepared. Think of what you would tell someone about your business and then if you find yourself in the situation to talk about you'll already know what to say. Later reflect on the conversation and see where you fumbled and think of what you could say the next time a similar conversation arises.

With the two business I can understand wanting to run both, but it really is going to make it harder. If Tech Guy is the main one why not put your energy into building it first. Add design and hosting as services to that business, but keep the focus on the tech stuff. That way you can still bring in revenue for the design/hosting and at some point you'll know it's time to spin it off as a another business.

rezzy
06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Brad, you mentioned one thing and I think its important to note it. The method at which you network is important.

I read a blog today, about how to network and spread you business around. A powerful method is to, meet people become their "friends" offer your skills and talents, not as a business person but as a friend.

i use social networking in just this way. I reach out to people who are having problems with hosting, site design or programming. I tend not to heavly market it towards a sell unless they need something a little more detailed. I believe that presenting myself as a web guy, others see my abilities and will want to hire you.

Long story short, dont advertise for your self, let others see your skill in action.

vangogh
06-01-2009, 11:38 PM
offer your skills and talents, not as a business person but as a friend

Exactly. You have to think first of what you can do for the other person. Look for ways to help people that also let you show your skills. The person you help will naturally want to help you back in some way and if your help is done in a way that allows others to see then your skills are on display in public.

TechGuy1
06-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, greatly appreciated :)

GBlack
06-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Hey Brad,

Lots of great advice/insights from everyone. Here's what I would add..Being known as the Tech Guy is too generic. To Neal's point, need to stand out. Suggest something like...The "Understandable" Tech Guy...or The Tech Guy You Can Reach...not trying to slag tech guys but there are plenty of frustrated business owners out there who wish they could find a tech guy who was responsive and understandable.

vangogh
06-22-2009, 11:47 AM
there are plenty of frustrated business owners out there who wish they could find a tech guy who was responsive and understandable.

I think that's a case of tech guys offering tech speak as opposed to simple language. In all fairness to them it's sometimes hard to explain technical details in a language other than tech, though it certainly can be done.

Being known as the tech guy who makes tech easy to understand would be a good way to differentiate yourself from much of the competition.