PDA

View Full Version : Email Program

mbc
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
hi,

I did not know where to put this so I shoved it here under traditional marketing

I have a big headache after spending days looking for software and coming up a blank, so I am hoping someone here may be able to point me into the right direction..

I currently run an email program called pocomail.. it is great and sense running it I have not had virus issues etc... However its got some drawbacks in that I cant sucessfully merge my address books with emails.

for example if I send out a hundred emails I usually have to say "hi everyone" as the software will not merge the first name so that the email is sent to the client looking like it was individual for them... I walked away from microsoft products years ago due to all the viruses but now I am pulling my hair out.

does anyone know of a great email program that has these features (prefer not a microsoft product as a bullet in the head may be less painful - unless someone can come up with evidence of why the program wont crash or start collecting viruses for my distribution):

* able to merge the address book with the email

* allows me to send and email and select a whole book of addresses at once... eg.. I run several businesses all with there own contact lists. if I want to send and email to a whole list I am having to do block selections of address to go into the email, I just want to be able to select the whole list with one click.

Additional nice things - if there is such a program
* This would be nice - I run some sites that collect email addresses as the clients sign up for newletters. I use ListMailPro for this, whilst it does a good job its a little bit old in functionality.. To send an email means typing it and then cutting and pasting into the system on the net etc...

It would be good if there was a program that would enable me to collect email addresses of newletter subscribers, record them into the email program, all me to creat a standard email, then send it out to the newsletter recipients straight from my pc (no cut and pasting).. plus can do those additional points above...

There must be something out there that does not want me to pay hundreds of dollars each month... I prefer to purchase the software and own it, and do what I like with it...

any helpers ?

thanks

A program that willhas the ability for me to

vangogh
05-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Most of the ones I know are online subscription based. Part of what you do pay for though is that they've worked with ISPs to make sure your mail gets through and isn't flagged at spam.

Aweber (http://www.aweber.com/) is the market leader and mailchimp (http://www.mailchimp.com/) is one I see getting recommendations a lot. Both do charge a monthly fee that's based on how big your subscriber list is.

You could search for open source mail servers. I just did and found Zimbra (http://www.zimbra.com/) at the top of the list. I'm pretty sure I've seen it recommended a number of times. They do have a desktop client as well as a mail server. You could then search for open source mailing list managers like phplist (http://www.phplist.com/) to manage your lists.

mbc
05-30-2009, 08:51 PM
thanks vangogh

I am not that concerned about the newletter side of it.. What I am using is awesome, it has a few drawbacks but then most of the others do also. I put that out there in case you knew something that I didnt..

The email side of things is exactly what I am really after... Not necessarily to do with the newsletter list, as ListMailPro does take care of it and I dont have any real problems..

My major issue with email is existing client management.. eg.. someone purchases a product, I then have to record there details - if it is software then I record the serial number the received (in case they loose it so I have ready access to it) and any other information.. I need to be able to merge certain information from the email program when I send emails. This is the primary issue I am having.. Yes you would think in 2009 it should not be a problem and most email programs should do it.. But because I have very specific requirements I will keep looking.

I will look at the email program you suggested.... I am not adverse to paying for a decent email product, in fact I could not care less, if it does what I want they deserve money for it..

vangogh
05-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Zimbra is open source so you should be able to customize it. Maybe what you need is a customer relationship manager application. That should let you enter all the info in one place and have access to it in email.

KristineS
05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
We use software called Group Mail for the things you describe. We have Version 5, I believe, and it may have gone beyond that now. The program can do all the things you describe. It's basically a bulk mail program.

I use it quite regularly and it has worked well for what we want it to do. It's not terribly expensive either.

mbc
06-01-2009, 06:12 PM
thanks vangogh & KristineS

I am looking into these now.

thanks