PDA

View Full Version : Paper Shredders

Paper Shredder Clay
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I think its probably a safe bet that you guys have a paper shredder. What brand do you use and how pleased are you by it? Maybe they should have a business equipment forum on here.

The company I am at uses Fellowes. I was on their site yesterday and they let people rank and review their shredders. Reviewers gets a chance to win $500. For more info: Rate a Fellowes Shredder (http://www.fellowes.com/fellowes/site/reviews/).

orion_joel
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Personally, i found that depending on the model many of the fellowes shredders were appalling.

When i worked in a stored that sold them the cheap model ($50 AUD) almost had as many returns as sales, you should that is possibly expected. Well for myself i got a $25 no brand name one from somewhere, and it has been fairly heavily used, for over 3 years. No problems.

Most of the models they had over $400 were ok. But even one of their models that sold for $200, we had almost every one return at one stage, and one customer went though about 3 before requesting a refund.

With shredders i believe you either have to spend big, and get a good heavy duty one. Spend as little as possible and hope you get a decent one like i did, or just expect to replace or return it.

Evan
05-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I use a Staples MicroShred paper shredder. Not sure of the specifics, but it grinds things up finer than the normal "cross-shredder".

I also have the Staples MailMate small cross-shredder, which I use for smaller jobs.

huggytree
05-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Mine says OFFICE 1000

probably paid $40 from Walmart or Office max

had it for 5 years

SteveC
05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I have a fellowes one here and we have another one of some different make somewhere... neither are nothing special... the important thing is to have one and to use it.

Steve B
05-30-2009, 07:06 AM
I have a Novitech. I'm guessing it was from Staples or Walmart. It shreds paper successfully.

Paper Shredder Clay
06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Well, I don't want to disagree with you, but I have only had good out of mine. Sure sometimes it gets hot and needs to cool down but that is every shredder. Were the returns returned with an actual problem or just because they were done with it. LOL.

Personally, i found that depending on the model many of the fellowes shredders were appalling.

When i worked in a stored that sold them the cheap model ($50 AUD) almost had as many returns as sales, you should that is possibly expected. Well for myself i got a $25 no brand name one from somewhere, and it has been fairly heavily used, for over 3 years. No problems.

Most of the models they had over $400 were ok. But even one of their models that sold for $200, we had almost every one return at one stage, and one customer went though about 3 before requesting a refund.

With shredders i believe you either have to spend big, and get a good heavy duty one. Spend as little as possible and hope you get a decent one like i did, or just expect to replace or return it.

orion_joel
06-03-2009, 07:24 AM
No probably only about 10-15% of the return's actually wanted their money back the rest wanted a working shredder. Especially for the cheapest model, being the biggest problem, the next money up was better, and often we could upsell.

Really the upsell is what should have been happening in the first place as the actual problems i believe came from people using a lower model then what they actually needed to do. However who really knows, nobody is going to admit they did not read the instructions and exceeded the machines capacity.

Blacktalon
06-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I want to say it's a Fellowes but I cannot be certain. All I know is that it looked someone took a trash can and used an old printer head and somehow turned it into a shredder.

Yes, it heats up, but common sense would say not to keep the device on for too long. Putting too much paper in at once can also heat it up (as it has to work harder to cut).

Speaking of weird designs, is it just me or do HP's printers look like they were made from an old toaster oven from the 70s?