PDA

View Full Version : To all you contractors & home improvement types

nealrm
05-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I have decided that my current stud finder is not cutting it for projects around the house and I'm looking for suggestions on a new one.

I need one that will work on thick walls. The typical wall in my house is 3/8 plasterboard covered with between 3/8 and 1/2" of plaster(?).

So any suggestions.

huggytree
05-25-2009, 10:31 AM
never used one

you can just measure from a corner...studs are normally 16" on center from each other.

so 16 or 16 3/4" from the corner should be your 2nd stud....

for my work i just open up the wall...i dont worry about studs....sometimes i take my hammer and knock...i can get pretty close that way

Spider
05-25-2009, 11:12 AM
There are studfinders that can "see" through roofing to "see" the roof joist, so I'm sure what you are looking for is out there (but I don't know a particular brand.)

When tapping the wall and listening for the different sound, remember that you can hear a great deal by placing a screwdriver with a wooden handle, tip against the wall and the handle in your ear. This is good for all sorts of things - I last used the trick when trying to determine if the pump in my septic tank was running. (Must be a wooden handle.)