PDA

View Full Version : OpenDNS

jamesray50
08-02-2015, 04:30 PM
I have a lousy wifi connection. My ISP is Charter. I have my own router, a Linksys router. The modem is Charters. The problem I have is signal strength. I am constantly losing the connection for several seconds, all day long. My signal strength is usually two bars, but most often it is one. I googled my issue and ran across a forum discussing OpenDNS. This sounds like it might solve my problem, but not being very bright when it comes to tech I thought I would ask here. Is it possible that would help me? Is it worth a try? Do I just change it on my router or do I have to change it on all my wifi devices?

Thanks!

Harold Mansfield
08-02-2015, 05:49 PM
I use Open DNS and I have no issues. It does seem to provide a more consistent experience. I even use it on my phone.

It depends on what you have connected where and how. Changing the router should be enough, unless your computer connects directly to the modem then you want to change in on your computer.

I'd make sure it's not the router first. They get old, and outdated fast these days and I used to go through Linksys routers like they were disposable before I switched to an ASUS dual band. Also remember that Wifi is line of site. You can read signals from anywhere in the area, but it works best for you when it's not blocked or in a confined area like an entertainment center.

Depending on where your coverage gaps are, you could also get a repeater, bridge or any number of boosters for your signal around large areas, or in different rooms.

Brian Altenhofel
08-03-2015, 02:22 AM
If the WiFi signal is only 2 bars while in the same room, the most likely cause is overheating. If it's a consumer router (didn't mention the model), it really isn't designed to handle more than 3-4 devices connected to it at once. The overheating can be caused by too many devices -or- by an over-driven antenna array (sometimes done in consumer routers to get better distance specs under test conditions).

Another reason for an apparently weak or intermittent WiFi signal could be interference. Most routers out of the box will use channel 6 (or alternatively 2 or 11) of the WiFi spectrum. If you get a lot of wireless access points in an area, everyone gets confused and has to work harder. It's like if you're in a coverage overlap area with FM radio broadcasts - you can listen to multiple stations at once and it's not a good experience. Every router I've seen will let you choose the channel. 99% of the time selecting any channel except 2, 6, or 11 will solve the issue, but you can either find a good channel by trial and error or use an app on your phone that will scan and show what signals are currently occupying what channels and at what strength levels (on Android, I prefer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en). What you want to do is use an empty channel, and ideally one with a free channel on either side (the channels are close enough together that environmental factors can cause enough shift to result in interference).

Linksys routers can be hit or miss depending on the router. The models with 32MB of RAM perform very well, 16MB is good enough for most consumer or light-duty applications, and 8MB might as well be considered bricks. I've got 2002-, 2005-, and 2007-model Linksys routers running as a mesh network in my house. They've only been rebooted by power outages, and I transfer more data through them daily than some businesses do in a month.

Harold Mansfield
08-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Jo Ellen,
Tell us a little more about what you have.

Is your internet coaxial cable or phone line (DSL)?
What speed are you supposed to have, how many mbps?
What speed are you getting?
What model Linksys router do you have?

Do you normally connect via wifi or via Ethernet?

You can do a speed test from your main computer. For best results make sure it's Ethernet connected to get as accurate reading of actual speed as possible.
Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/)

You can also do it again wirelessly from a laptop or using one of the phone apps.
Speedtest.net by Ookla - Mobile (http://www.speedtest.net/mobile/)

MyITGuy
08-03-2015, 03:16 PM
While OpenDNS is a great tool to utilize, I don't believe it will resolve your issue as this appears to be a wireless network issue.

To add to Harold's questions, I would also ask where your router is located in your house (I.E. Bedroom on north west wall, center of basement or etc..), your approximate square footage as well as type of construction (wood frame, concrete block and etc...)

jamesray50
08-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Jo Ellen,
Tell us a little more about what you have.

Is your internet coaxial cable or phone line (DSL)?
What speed are you supposed to have, how many mbps?
What speed are you getting?
What model Linksys router do you have?

Do you normally connect via wifi or via Ethernet?

You can do a speed test from your main computer. For best results make sure it's Ethernet connected to get as accurate reading of actual speed as possible.
Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/)

You can also do it again wirelessly from a laptop or using one of the phone apps.
Speedtest.net by Ookla - Mobile (http://www.speedtest.net/mobile/)

My internet is coaxial cable.
My mbps should be 100.
It just tested at 93.02 download and 4.34 upload.
My rounter is Linksys EA6900. I purchased the end of last year.

My desktop (work) computer is connect with a ethernet cable. All my other devices are wifi. I don't have a problem with my desktop, it's just my wireless devices. The router is on channel 11.

The download speed on my Samsung tablet is 21.13mpbs and upload is 4.85.

I stayed with my daughter for 4 months. They have ATT Uverse. They have several devices connected wirelessly: a TV, 2 phones, 4 tablets, a couple of computers. Then when I was there I had my phone, computer and tablet connected to it. I never had a problem with speed or connection. So I am really wondering if I have made a mistake in choosing Charter over ATT Uverse.

I don't think you made a mistake. ATT is DSL. I'm sure it's better, but DSL still maxes out. I can't be sure because I don't know Charter, but if your speed test is telling you your modem and ISP is delivering the speed, I have to believe your issues are with hardware, settings and/or configuration.

jamesray50
08-03-2015, 06:03 PM
While OpenDNS is a great tool to utilize, I don't believe it will resolve your issue as this appears to be a wireless network issue.

To add to Harold's questions, I would also ask where your router is located in your house (I.E. Bedroom on north west wall, center of basement or etc..), your approximate square footage as well as type of construction (wood frame, concrete block and etc...)

The router is in my office against outside wall facing east. Building is brick construction. Square footage 1,000. This is an apartment building, thin walls. Townhouse, my office is upstairs.

I have been reading about what my problem might be. It is actually very irritating. What I don't understand though, is there a difference between getting internet from a cable company and getting it from a phone company. I debated whether to go with Charter or ATT Uverse. My apartment doesn't have ATT Uverse cable, they do have internet. I went with Charter because I got a package deal that was the best price. But, if I'm not going to get a good wifi connection, then it's not worth the money.

I stayed with my daughter for 4 months. They have ATT Uverse. They have several devices connected wirelessly: a TV, 2 phones, 4 tablets, a couple of computers. Then when I was there I had my phone, computer and tablet connected to it. I never had a problem with speed or connection. So I am really wondering if I have made a mistake in choosing Charter over ATT Uverse.

Another thing I have noticed, when I go to my connection setting and can see all the other networks available, the ATT networks have a stronger signal than the Charter ones.

I want to thank you all for helping me with this.

Harold Mansfield
08-03-2015, 06:23 PM
My internet is coaxial cable.
My mbps should be 100.
It just tested at 93.02 download and 4.34 upload.
My rounter is Linksys EA6900. I purchased the end of last year.

My desktop (work) computer is connect with a ethernet cable. All my other devices are wifi. I don't have a problem with my desktop, it's just my wireless devices. The router is on channel 11.

The download speed on my Samsung tablet is 21.13mpbs and upload is 4.85.

It's the router. Double check with your ISP just to make sure everything is running 100%, but I'm pretty sure the weak link in the chain is the router.
It may not be bad, it could just need a firmware update, it could just need to be restarted ( along with your modem), or it could just be a setting.

Do you know how to access its admin panel?

billbenson
08-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Routers come with omnidirectional antennas (the stick looking sort of thing). With that type of antenna, they send and receive from every direction on a horizontal plane. There is also a small lobe of reception directly above it, but the signal strength is much weaker.

If you are only using it in your office on the second level of your house, there are two other options. One is a directional antenna attached to your router. There are small directional antennas that you could replace your omnidirectional antenna with. You would have limited signal strength on the first level but it might work.

The other thing you can do is add and amplifier to the system.

This information is from 2001 when I sold all of this stuff. Things may have change since then.

I did a search for directional antennas for routers. I came up with a bunch of links. One of which is below. You might want to talk to some of the companies that sell this stuff.

https://jet.com/product/e43c2097ac48464681ac571a978f458e?jcmp=pla--ggl--electronics_other--electronics_networking_other--.--.--.--.--.--2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=581d440f-b805-e468-0b95-000037874d98&kpid=e43c2097ac48464681ac571a978f458e&gclid=CjwKEAjwovytBRCdxtyKqfL5nUISJACaugG1_G2-oFWBICd8RgmzzpGi5hrvh8Kz-ZgP0LPQ2thewhoCsvrw_wcB

My ISP offers a design that uses routers and access points to cover an entire house. An access point is just a stupid router that just sends and receives signals. This technology has been around since I sold this stuff in 2001. They are pushing this technology for residential applications. It's also a technology used to get access in hotels in all locations etc.

From what I have seen in posts on this forum, I have a much better ISP than most. There may be an independent company that will set up this kind of service for you.

Brian Altenhofel
08-03-2015, 07:06 PM
My rounter is Linksys EA6900.

Based on specs, should be a *very* capable router.

The router is on channel 11.

This is an apartment building

Taking these two facts into account, I would definitely check what other channels are in use in your area using a WiFi scanner app like the one that I linked earlier. The most common default is 6, and you'll likely see a bunch on 11 or 1 since that's what most people switch to (if they do switch). If you don't want to use a scanner to check frequency usage, I would first change to channel 8 or 9, and if that doesn't help 3 or 4.

Or if all of your devices are relatively new, you could probably turn off 2.4GHz and only use 5GHz - it's probably somewhere under "advanced settings" or something similar having to do with WLAN/Wireless. (You'll be able to see very quickly if a device cannot use 5GHz - the device just won't connect.) Then you can test your range to see if 5GHz has enough range in your location given the router's location. The 2.4GHz band is very crowded with WiFi, Bluetooth, and archaic cordless phones.

jamesray50
08-03-2015, 07:44 PM
It's the router. Double check with your ISP just to make sure everything is running 100%, but I'm pretty sure the weak link in the chain is the router.
It may not be bad, it could just need a firmware update, it could just need to be restarted ( along with your modem), or it could just be a setting.

Do you know how to access its admin panel?

Yes, I do know how to access the admin panel? You do mean online, right?

jamesray50
08-03-2015, 07:46 PM

Taking these two facts into account, I would definitely check what other channels are in use in your area using a WiFi scanner app like the one that I linked earlier. The most common default is 6, and you'll likely see a bunch on 11 or 1 since that's what most people switch to (if they do switch). If you don't want to use a scanner to check frequency usage, I would first change to channel 8 or 9, and if that doesn't help 3 or 4.

Or if all of your devices are relatively new, you could probably turn off 2.4GHz and only use 5GHz - it's probably somewhere under "advanced settings" or something similar having to do with WLAN/Wireless. (You'll be able to see very quickly if a device cannot use 5GHz - the device just won't connect.) Then you can test your range to see if 5GHz has enough range in your location given the router's location. The 2.4GHz band is very crowded with WiFi, Bluetooth, and archaic cordless phones.

The 2.4GHZ is on channel 11, the 5GHz is on auto. When I got my Roku a couple of years ago I had connectivity problems with it and after reading comments online I did change the channel to a different one and that fixed my problem. But that was a different router, I don't think I have changed this one, at least I don't remember changing it.

billbenson
08-03-2015, 07:55 PM

But the lower frequency is going to have greater range although less bandwidth.

There are a lot of variables here.

Can someone post what OpenDNS is? I've never heard of it before...

jamesray50
08-03-2015, 10:02 PM

I never hear of it either until I read it in a forum about wifi. But, I can change the named dns servers that my cable company has to the ones that OpenDNS has. I'm not sure why their servers are better than the cable company. I'm sure someone else here knows why.

MyITGuy
08-03-2015, 10:56 PM

OpenDNS (https://www.opendns.com/) is an alternate DNS Provider. DNS being Domain Name Service which is how your computer knows how to get to where they are going on the internet (I.E. DNS changes google.com to 216.58.219.74 or etc.).

DNS is a common weak point for service providers and any outages that users may experience since and is generally the best change a user can make to avoid these items.

MyITGuy
08-03-2015, 11:07 PM
What I don't understand though, is there a difference between getting internet from a cable company and getting it from a phone company.

There are minor differences, however I always recommend going with the cable company offering as you get more bang for your buck..

Cable Company - Extremely higher speeds (In your case you mention 100Mbps down/5Mpbs up), however this comes at a cost of latency/jitter on the line which is only really noticeable if you're a gamer, using VoIP Phones or etc....
Phone Company - Much lower speeds (I.E. AT&T DSL at 6Mbps down/768Kbps up or UVerse at 18Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up), however the latency/jitter is a bit more stable. An additional advantage for DSL Service is it runs over the same infrastructure as your phone line service which is regulated in terms of down/repair times...so outages are usually fixed pretty quickly.

MyITGuy
08-03-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm with Brian on this one, your router is more than capable to serve the space you have. Definitely try scanning for and/or changing the channel (Specify a channel and don't rely on Auto) to something that is not in use. Additionally, double check the antennae on the router to ensure they are tight/secure connections.

billbenson
08-04-2015, 07:41 AM
OpenDNS (https://www.opendns.com/) is an alternate DNS Provider. DNS being Domain Name Service which is how your computer knows how to get to where they are going on the internet (I.E. DNS changes google.com to 216.58.219.74 or etc.).

DNS is a common weak point for service providers and any outages that users may experience since and is generally the best change a user can make to avoid these items.

Thanks Jeff

jamesray50
08-04-2015, 09:06 AM
I installed the wifi analyzer app. On the channel rating selection channel 11 has 1 star, the other channels have none. It suggests channels 12, 13, and 14. If I look at the ap list there are a lot more networks using 6 and 11 than channel 1. Maybe I could try channel 1 and see how that works?

MyITGuy
08-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I installed the wifi analyzer app. On the channel rating selection channel 11 has 1 star, the other channels have none. It suggests channels 12, 13, and 14. If I look at the ap list there are a lot more networks using 6 and 11 than channel 1. Maybe I could try channel 1 and see how that works?

Go for it...although I would suggest going with 12,13 or 14 as the app suggested.

Other people in the same boat will likely likely make the same change and choose 1 from a behavioral perspective (1 is always better right?).

jamesray50
08-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Go for it...although I would suggest going with 12,13 or 14 as the app suggested.

Other people in the same boat will likely likely make the same change and choose 1 from a behavioral perspective (1 is always better right?).

I was thinking about channel 1, but not sure it would make a difference. According to info I found on the internet (and the internet is always right) only channels 1 - 11 are available in the US, and it is illegal to use channel 14. This is all very confusing to me.

Harold Mansfield
08-04-2015, 11:19 AM
I agree with everyone else. Your router seems like a quality model, but that doesn't mean that the space you're serving doesn't need more help to distribute signal around the house. Wifi is not microwave. It doesn't go through cabinets , walls, and around corners. Technically you may read it from anywhere close, but it works best when it's line of site.

From what I gather from the comments above there seems to be an agreement that you may need to adjust your router settings for your situation, and could probably use some sort of relay or bridge to expand the reach of your router across rooms and into other rooms. This is actually pretty common.

Your friend that you spoke of may have a few bridges around the house and you just don't see them. Next time you're over there you should ask them where their router is, and if they have any signal boosters around the house.

MyITGuy
08-04-2015, 06:16 PM
I agree with everyone else. Your router seems like a quality model, but that doesn't mean that the space you're serving doesn't need more help to distribute signal around the house. Wifi is not microwave. It doesn't go through cabinets , walls, and around corners. Technically you may read it from anywhere close, but it works best when it's line of site.

From what I gather from the comments above there seems to be an agreement that you may need to adjust your router settings for your situation, and could probably use some sort of relay or bridge to expand the reach of your router across rooms and into other rooms. This is actually pretty common.

Your friend that you spoke of may have a few bridges around the house and you just don't see them. Next time you're over there you should ask them where their router is, and if they have any signal boosters around the house.

For a 1,000 square foot space with a modern router, a bridge/extender would be overkill IMO (while introducing additional issues with noise and overlapping signals). If you have anything larger than 2,000 sqft and/or multiple obstructions in the way (I.E. Concrete walls) then bridges/extenders may be appropriate.

For reference, I have a single router at home that serves 4500sqft from a central location with little signal loss, and still have coverage on the back patio/yard after passing through a concrete wall.
I'm running two access points (enterprise grade Meraki units, so results will vary) at the office that serve 17K sqft of space (and then some since I still get signal downstairs in the bistro and halfway across the building) with no issues.

Brian Altenhofel
08-04-2015, 07:04 PM
For a 1,000 square foot space with a modern router, a bridge/extender would be overkill IMO (while introducing additional issues with noise and overlapping signals). If you have anything larger than 2,000 sqft and/or multiple obstructions in the way (I.E. Concrete walls) then bridges/extenders may be appropriate.

For reference, I have a single router at home that serves 4500sqft from a central location with little signal loss, and still have coverage on the back patio/yard after passing through a concrete wall.
I'm running two access points (enterprise grade Meraki units, so results will vary) at the office that serve 17K sqft of space (and then some since I still get signal downstairs in the bistro and halfway across the building) with no issues.

This.

The router in question is more than capable of serving that space without bridges or repeaters. In fact, one of the buildings at my church uses that router as an access point (I was not consulted on the installation - the "pros" were). It is installed in a wiring closet near one corner of the building. The furthest point of the building is ~150ft and several walls away, and I still get 2 bars and good throughput even with dozens of devices connected. However, interference is at a minimum since the only other occupant of that city block is the Post Office (has WiFi) and a small museum (no WiFi).

The only reason I run multiple access points at my house is because I live on 3 acres and enjoy listening to Spotify through my Sennheiser HD-280 hearing protectors while I do yardwork. Still, the signal from each of those access points must penetrate metal walls to reach the outside.

Harold Mansfield
08-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Guys, she has a bad signal now. How is doing what she needs to, to fix that overkill? You're all sharing how great your signals are in your house in your specific situation, but that's not helping her. Unless someone is going to travel to MO to set her up just like you, she needs a solution. And if it works, it's not over kill. It's a solution.

Am I right?

I have a bridge on my entertainment center even though it's a few feet from my router because my XBOX is in a cabinet and wasn't getting a consistent wireless signal when I was playing. It worked. Was it overkill? Maybe for you, but for my situation it worked. It's not like it was an expensive or complicated solution.

Since we aren't at your location and you probably need someone technical to set it up for you the best way, I'd say just call Charter tell them the problem and have a tech come out. They can likely either make changes where you need them, or make a suggestion based on your situation.
It could be as simple as just moving the router.

Brian Altenhofel
08-04-2015, 07:28 PM
We're waiting to find out if trying different channels improved the situation. If not, then the next step is moving the router to a better location. Only after the simple options with the fewest moving parts and least technical knowledge required have been done should something adding complexity to the network and requiring additional technical knowledge be tried.

Harold Mansfield
08-04-2015, 07:32 PM
We're waiting to find out if trying different channels improved the situation. If not, then the next step is moving the router to a better location. Only after the simple options with the fewest moving parts and least technical knowledge required have been done should something adding complexity to the network and requiring additional technical knowledge be tried.

Of course. That makes sense.

MyITGuy
08-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Guys, she has a bad signal now. How is doing what she needs to, to fix that overkill?
You start with the basics and move up from there...Troubleshooting 101.

Will adding a bridge work? Most likely, but then your just throwing money at the issue without solving the root cause and possibly making the issue worse for her and/or her neighbors.

I'd say just call Charter tell them the problem and have a tech come out. They can likely either make changes where you need them, or make a suggestion based on your situation.
Charter likely wont touch any customer owned equipment, so it would be a wasted service call that would likely result in a service call charge and/or them suggesting that you purchase their wireless router functionality at $X/month.

Harold Mansfield
08-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter likely wont touch any customer owned equipment, so it would be a wasted service call that would likely result in a service call charge and/or them suggesting that you purchase their wireless router functionality at $X/month.

Maybe they will be of absolutely no help, or maybe they will give the same kind of great customer service that my ISP gives. Can't know until you ask. I doubt there will be a charge simply by picking up the phone and asking.

At the very least they could confirm that the unit is function properly, that there is no signal problem, and so on.

Let's do the easy free stuff first, right? Does anyone here beside the OP have Charter?

MyITGuy
08-05-2015, 06:05 PM
I was thinking about channel 1, but not sure it would make a difference. According to info I found on the internet (and the internet is always right) only channels 1 - 11 are available in the US, and it is illegal to use channel 14. This is all very confusing to me.

Not sure if you were waiting on a response, but channels 12 & 13 are OK to use under low power conditions (Wi-Fi would fall under this condition). If you want to stay on the right side of things then feel free to use one of the other channels

jamesray50
08-06-2015, 08:21 AM
I did switch to channel 1. A google search said that it was illegal to use channel 14. Only channels 1-11 were available in the US. So far so good with channel 1. I'm getting 4 -5 bars on the signal strength indicator, much better than the no bars to the 1 or 2 that I was getting. Thanks everyone for your help!