PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with tough clients

veritasvisions
07-31-2015, 01:31 AM
Honestly, the main issues i have are with content and pictures. I consistently have to explain that they have to provide content and that i am not an editor of content. I also explain that they need to pick the pictures. ANyone have advice on this?

Freelancier
07-31-2015, 09:37 AM
With every client before they become a client, I explain my process to them so that they know what to expect and what I expect from them in return (mostly just to pay their bills on time).

Harold Mansfield
07-31-2015, 11:40 AM
Yes, you have to make your process perfectly clear. They need to know what their responsibilities are, what they're paying for (and not paying for), and you should probably put those things on your website or a PDF that you give new clients before they pay.

It should at least be on your project proposals of what the deliverables are or they'll think "everything" is included...meaning whatever they can think of along the way for as long as it takes.

People new to the web or having a website have absolutely no understanding that things don't just appear online. Everything, and every body tries to make the web look drag and drop. That beautiful images and copy just appears out of nowhere. No one ever gives any thought to how actual words get on the page, who writes them and why they are arranged a certain way. I've had more than a few people tell me to just take copy from another website and change a few words around. They don't know. That's why they come to us.

You have to make this clear to people that someone has to write the words on the website. Someone in the company needs to write up information about the company.

In my case I'll do copy writing and comb through hours of images, but of course it costs more. People usually remember much better when they are either paying for something, or not paying for something and why they aren't paying for it.

That's not to say that they won't take forever to get you copy and images. They will. Mainly because they don't know what they're doing. But for those who want to do it themselves, I have a PDF with clear direction and best practices for them to follow to help make my life easier.

You literally have to hold people's hand and spell it all out for them. The more info and guidance you can create for them, the easier the process will be, the happier you'll be, and the more satisfied they'll be overall. Otherwise your projects will take forever and you'll end up doing a lot of extra work for free and they will never think they got their money's worth. And that will be your fault for not being clear what services you are providing and delivering. Not theirs because they didn't understand.

veritasvisions
07-31-2015, 04:26 PM
With every client before they become a client, I explain my process to them so that they know what to expect and what I expect from them in return (mostly just to pay their bills on time). Lol so true.

veritasvisions
07-31-2015, 04:29 PM
In my case I'll do copy writing and comb through hours of images, but of course it costs more. People usually remember much better when they are either paying for something, or not paying for something and why they aren't paying for it. They take you more seriously and appreciate it if they have to pay.

That's not to say that they won't take forever to get you copy and images. They will. Mainly because they don't know what they're doing. But for those who want to do it themselves, I have a PDF with clear direction and best practices for them to follow to help make my life easier.
I might have to use this idea

You literally have to hold people's hand and spell it all out for them. The more info and guidance you can create for them, the easier the process will be, the happier you'll be, and the more satisfied they'll be overall. Otherwise your projects will take forever and you'll end up doing a lot of extra work for free and they will never think they got their money's worth. And that will be your fault for not being clear what services you are providing and delivering. Not theirs because they didn't understand. so tough to get this through to them.

Harold Mansfield
07-31-2015, 06:07 PM
so tough to get this through to them.

It gets easier.

The savvy client (scam artist) who will shop around until they find someone careless who they can exploit and get free work out is the best education you'll get. After a few of those you will never cost yourself time and money again.

Trust me. For first time clients put all of the deliverables in writing. Those people who will demand free work if you aren't clear are out there and they know what they're doing.

When everyone is clear, and you deliver, every one walks away happy. Having things in writing also gives you leeway to throw in a few extras if time allows and look like a stud.

billbenson
08-01-2015, 07:30 AM
@ Harold. how many customers do you get off this forum? I know several people here that I would consider using for web design.. It depends on what I need..

But, after the years of posts, I have an idea for skill sets of the individual designers. Plus, you develop a trust factor.

So how much business do you get related to this forum?

Harold Mansfield
08-01-2015, 11:30 AM
@ Harold. how many customers do you get off this forum? I know several people here that I would consider using for web design.. It depends on what I need..

But, after the years of posts, I have an idea for skill sets of the individual designers. Plus, you develop a trust factor.

So how much business do you get related to this forum?

I've done work for a few people on the forum, referred clients to the services of forum members, and worked with some members on projects.
I'm actually working with 2 forum members right now. Just about all of them are members that have been around since the beginning. The "old schoolers" if you will.

veritasvisions
08-01-2015, 01:23 PM
good to know you can actually get business from these forums. But ,of course, you have to build relationships first.

Harold Mansfield
08-01-2015, 01:30 PM
good to know you can actually get business from these forums...

You can "get" business from anywhere. I joined to learn stuff, and to talk about work. Not necessarily to get work. Being contacted by members over the years for work is just a welcomed happenstance.

Of course in the beginning I didn't know what to expect. Back when I joined the prelude forum to this forum I was a member of at least 15 different forums that all ranged from nothing but noobs spamming services, to people discussing how to defraud adsense. But it didn't take long for me to realize that this forum and the advice and discussion was worth far more to my development as a business owner than just the occasional job.

Honestly if forums is part of your marketing plan to get more customers you'll be disappointed. It may work on certain forums with marketplaces and if you're a $5 article writer, but other than that forums were NEVER a viable marketing strategy for anything other than cheap outsourced work, or traffic and SEO tricks, and it's not the reason business most professionals join them.

Helena Davis
08-22-2016, 04:42 PM
You’d better provide each of your customers with specific requirements on how to choose media and write text content. And these recommendations should be in writing so that your client won’t have to refer to you every time they update the website. Besides, this will give you an opportunity to refer your client to the recommendations every time the content needs revision.

Stefany
01-11-2017, 01:29 PM
It gets easier.

The savvy client (scam artist) who will shop around until they find someone careless who they can exploit and get free work out is the best education you'll get. After a few of those you will never cost yourself time and money again.

Trust me. For first time clients put all of the deliverables in writing. Those people who will demand free work if you aren't clear are out there and they know what they're doing.

When everyone is clear, and you deliver, every one walks away happy. Having things in writing also gives you leeway to throw in a few extras if time allows and look like a stud.

So true! I used to get bombarded with "clients" wanting free websites when i was starting out. now, not so much since I have a lot of experience they are not even trying.

And yes, always put things in writing.

Jennina
01-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Clients really have varying requirements. I think the best thing to do here is when you get a new lead, explain to them beforehand the services you provide especially the limitations of what you offer.