PDA

View Full Version : i keep dreaming of all the toys i want to buy

huggytree
05-23-2009, 08:47 PM
now that im successful and i have extra money sitting there i keep getting urges to spend,spend,spend.....other than a few home improvements and a nice vacation we havent up'd our lifestyle yet..my income is dramatically higher than it was when i worked for someone else.

nice vacations are always on the top of my list...last year was 8 days at Disney and this year will also be a Florida vacation of some sort.

I keep dreaming of a Fish/Ski Boat...but the kids are too little and dont swim yet + i have no where to keep it.

I have been considering a late 60's muscle car now that prices are down to the $50k range for many of them, but once again have no where to store it and cant see spending that much for something which will only rust

Today i was at the Chevy dealership for my work truck and spent 30 minutes looking at the new Camaro SS....$37,000 sticker-top of the line.....orange w/ racing stripes, 426 horsepower....id love it...I had a couple of fast cars 15 years ago...now i drive a red minivan.

What are your dream toys?
Do you plan to make them reality?

My untimate goal is a 3,600 sq ft brand new house on 5 acres.....thats what im currently saving for...

phanio
05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
You do have to pay yourself - glad that you are taking vacations and treating yourself a bit.

You have a lofty goal of a big house on acreage. So do I - not the big house though as i don't want to buy furniture for all the rooms and my wife does not want to clean somethign that big. But, would like the acreage.

We have recently been thinking about buying more toys as well (our kids are out of the house). So, we created a list of our wildest dreams (which was kind of fun and enlightening) then prioritized the list to what we think we can afford going forward.

But, always pay yourself.

rezzy
05-24-2009, 11:01 AM
At the time I am much more of techy. I want to get a smart phone, they have a few extra charges I dont want to get yet.

KristineS
05-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Not really many big toys I want to buy. Although a new car would be nice. Mine is perfectly serviceable, but it's 9 years old this year. I do get the urge to go car shopping but since I just bought a condo last August so far I've been restraining myself.

Evan
05-24-2009, 11:18 PM
I need to start exploring some nice toys for myself. Most of my gifts are for others, and I never tend to indulge in things myself.

orion_joel
05-25-2009, 01:47 AM
I agree on the car front would always like a newer model.

Also the smart phone would be nice, but to date, most of the ones that i have seen have been fairly below par. problems are rife within the smart phone market, not saying they are all bad, but for the money you spend they could be better.

Additionally at this point i think that while i have the money for toys, i would prefer to put it towards growing that money further.

SteveC
05-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Always treat yourself... but also ensure you build up a nice nest egg just in case things slow down or something unforseen happens... and from reading you're other posts, I believe you have this... so go spend some money and help the economy...

huggytree
05-25-2009, 08:41 AM
I had a very successful 08 and even though the economy is slowing further here in the Midwest Im still almost equal to last year in sales & possibly ahead in profit. I cant imagine it getting much worse...Im planning on things getting better...no chance i have to dip into savings anymore.....

one luxury I need to do is get a house cleaning service....i have 3 little kids and my wife cant keep up with the house work...thats the last thing i want to do after work, so i dont help at all.....i was planning on it and get several quotes towards the end of last year, but when things went to crap in Feb/March I got scared and forgot about the idea. When i was working 40 hours a month I couldnt see spending hundreds a month for a cleaning lady....I need to get on this

Also im considering remodeling my kitchen...cabinets, walls, countertops....probably something ill do in the winter when i have time to demo & drywall myself.

Patrysha
05-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Hundreds a month? For a housekeeping service?

Do you have a really huge house or something that makes the price so high?

We have three kids too and have been looking at hiring a housekeeping service...I am horrible at housekeeping and my family is less than enthused about getting the jobs done no matter how we've tried to do it. So I am looking...the problem isn't the cost here - it's reliability and availability...so I keep looking.

huggytree
05-25-2009, 10:29 AM
my house is 2,300 sq ft....i think every other week was $100+ each time

so $200+ a month

SteveC
05-25-2009, 06:53 PM
As a business owner, getting a cleaner and a gardener are a must... and are in my opinion legit business expenses as they free your time up to do other things... business or family related... it's also just plain nice.

Dan Furman
05-26-2009, 04:30 PM
As a business owner, getting a cleaner and a gardener are a must... and are in my opinion legit business expenses as they free your time up to do other things... business or family related... it's also just plain nice.

hiring a mowing guy was one of the best moves I have made in years.

huggytree
05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
i love to mow my lawn...i dont like the weedwacking part, but sitting on the mower riding around my yard is relaxing to me. the kids like the ride too. my soil is so poor it takes tons of fertalizer just to get the lawn to grow at all...i cut the lawn 6x a year.

weed pulling is another story...i should hire that out.

I have a rotten piece of trim on my house and decided to pay someone to do it instead of spending the day and doing it myself....i can make more doing what i do and let someone else do what they do better than me.

orion_joel
05-27-2009, 06:45 AM
I think that is really the acid test for just about anything that you have to do away from your business.

If you have a chore or task that needs to be done, and you are not to into doing it yourself, you work out if it will cost you more to pay someone to do it, then you could potentially earn with that time.

For example with the lawn mowing, if you happened to not like it and it would cost you $60 to get it done, but in the same time you could do some marketing or a job that may return more then $60 for the time, you are better off paying someone to do it, and to get one with your core business. Don't forget that if you have to get quotes or something take that time into account as well.

KristineS
05-27-2009, 01:01 PM
I've been mulling over this equation when it comes to painting my house. I do have a full time job working for a company, but I've also been working on some side projects for myself. I feel like I should do the painting on my own, but I'm not that handy when it comes to this sort of thing, and I don't really enjoy it. I do have money I could put toward painting, and it would definitely be less stressful for me, and would free me up to do other things.

Still, the puritanical streak in me says I should do it myself. Why do I feel like I'm being self indulgent if I choose to have someone else do it?