PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here a digital nomad?

carloborja
07-28-2015, 04:23 AM
I've been reading articles about digital nomad-ing and it seems a really interesting thing to do.

This guy built his business by the beach for 1 year (http://yongfook.com/1-year-as-a-digital-nomad-how-to-build-a-business-by-the-beach.html)
Bali seems to be an interesting place (http://biz30.timedoctor.com/my-experience-using-time-doctor-to-be-a-digital-nomad-in-bali/)
Building a startup while traveling (http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/241761)

I mean I could work with just a laptop. But, I've never really tried to be a 'real' digital nomad who travels and stays long in one country.

Is anyone here a full digital nomad? Or anyone here considering this lifestyle?

vangogh
07-28-2015, 10:25 AM
If I was younger I would consider it. It sounds like an enjoyable life to me. One of the benefits of the world we live in is that you don't need to be tied to a physical location to work. Obviously some professions require you remain in one location, but there are plenty that will let you travel where you want and still work.

cbscreative
07-28-2015, 10:36 AM
There's a growing demand worldwide for "working spaces" that you can rent for various periods of time. These sometimes include lodging and often include group activities so you can "vacation" without fully giving up work. I suppose that's both good and bad since a vacation should be a vacation but I can see the appeal of stretching out a longer vacation using this approach.

My wife was telling me a couple months or so ago about a package being offered where you spend one month at a time in 12 different locations over a year. I don't really plan on doing that even though we're at a stage of life we could make it work but it is an interesting idea because my business model would allow it too.

Harold Mansfield
07-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Although I'm free to move anywhere, I couldn't do it like that. First off I couldn't run my business from a laptop. I need a desktop with a bunch of accessories, and reliable high speed internet.
But if it was possible, I wouldn't be against it. I'm single with no pressing attachments that keep me in one place. I'd probably hit the road and see the country first.

billbenson
07-28-2015, 01:47 PM
I spent my corp career of 22 years as a field sales guy. Half of it covering the eastern states of the US and the other half covering Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. I've been everywhere in those areas multiple times.

The thing about that life style is you don't get to have a normal life. The biggest benefit I got out of it is I know where I want to go on vacation. If VoIP gets better I might want to spend the winter months living and working out of Panama, and the summers in Florida. I like warm weather. I also really like Panama.

I also know several martial arts people who are nomads. Two are single and in their 30's and travel the world giving seminars.

One has a pretty good business plan. He travels with his wife giving seminars. His wife makes video's of them and edits them. They sell video's online. He makes money from the seminars and DVD sales. He spends about 60% travel. Always with his wife. They spend most of their travel time in the south in the winter and the north in summer. Not a bad lifestyle and he makes friends everywhere.

carloborja
07-28-2015, 08:25 PM
I suppose that's both good and bad since a vacation should be a vacation but I can see the appeal of stretching out a longer vacation using this approach.

I think I would agree with this.

It makes me think that it would actually take the 'vacation' out of the vacation since you need to work.

Some of these nomads are actually mentioning that the 'dark side' could be that your friends will just come and go in this lifestyle. Not great if you want a good circle of 'regular' friends but awesome if you want to meet a lot of new people.

It's just not for everyone I guess. But, it's an interesting way to work especially with the rise of telecommuting today.