PDA

View Full Version : sending out monthly e-mails to all your past customers

huggytree
05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I am strongly considering asking all future customers for their e-mail addresses. (i have no idea how many will give me them?)

i would send plumbing tips, gov. rebates, monthly specials, etc

this will only go to my current customers.

will customers give me their email addresses?
is this a good idea?

i think its a great idea, but dont think customers will give email addresses to me

vangogh
05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
If you ask right and offer them something in return there's no reason why they shouldn't. Some won't, but most probably will. I think if you let them know you'll send them government rebates it would be an easy sell.

Patrysha
05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Absolutely! There are so many ways you can ethically bribe people to join your list (along with the promise of great content and timely tips). In the spring and fall (if applicable to your area) you can talk about summerizing and winterizing your outdoor plumbing :-) or tune up tips for your plumbing system...counter common myths about what you should be putting down your drain...talk about how to spot quality installations. Sell yourself through your knowledge and care.

Add in a referral program that you continue to mention and you have a really,, really powerful marketing tool! (And of course the whole process can be completely outsourced with you only needing to take care of assigning, proof-reading and paying :-)

(Disclaimer: I should probably note that this is what I do to pay the bills...lol. I am very much for email list building for every business - those clients of mine who don't currently have one are just waiting for special reports I'm rewriting for those ethical bribes I was talking about)

phanio
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
All you can do is ask. As time goes on, you will learn how to ask. I get asked all the time - sometimes I give it - sometimes I don't - sometimes I give a fake one.

This is a good way to keep top of mind - even if customers don't read the email - they should at least see your company name in the subject line or from line.

huggytree
05-20-2009, 09:51 PM
my wife says she hates those types of e-mails

its an idea im going to think on further

i have a cabinet maker friend who does it....ill ask what his success rate is...if i get 1 new job a month from it id consider it a success.

Patrysha
05-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Yes, there are those that say they hate those emails. And some of them actually do...

But for tons of people they don't mind getting tips and reminders through their email and can always delete or unsubscribe if they are not interested.

It may not lead to jobs right away (it tends to work faster in businesses with higher volumes...in those with lower volumes it takes more time). If it's only customers with you it's going to take longer because they aren't likely to need you again in the near future (which is where a referral program can kick in to bridge the gap)

vangogh
05-21-2009, 12:50 AM
As long as you ask and only send things to people who agree to give you their email you shouldn't be sending them to people who don't want them. Also make sure there's an easy way for people to opt out.

Some people won't give you the email, but you are offering some good things so many would.

KristineS
05-21-2009, 12:51 PM
We do this with our customers and we do get some who decline, but most will give you an address.

The trick is to make sure what you send is useful, not just a constant refrain of "buy my stuff, buy my stuff". If you can give your subscribers useful content, you'll have satisfied subscribers.

I try to keep a ratio of 1/4 sales, 3/4 useful content. Also, if I can, I try to phrase the sale item in such a way that it becomes useful too.

thx4yrtym
05-21-2009, 01:45 PM
If you created a newsletter , maybe no more than 2 topics each and kept it short, if well done and very informative, I would think there would be many who would actually look forward to it. The challenge will be coming up with great fresh content for any length of time. Much like blogging. You want people to talk about you and what you have to say.

Best of luck,

Remipub
05-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Like your wife, there are quite a few who hate those emails, but those people wont sign up. You really have nothing to lose by adding that option.

What annoys me is when I sign up for an email list and I get several emails a week - sometimes a day. When that happens, I usually have my name removed from the list. If it's once a month or every six weeks - perfect.

KristineS
05-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Also, if you do create this sort of e-mail make sure you make it really easy for people to opt out if they don't want the e-mail and that you take the off the list immediately if they ask you to do so. Customers can get really mad when they request to be removed from the list and then they get another e-mail.

Also, Remipub is right about the frequency. A couple times a month seems to be optimum.