PDA

View Full Version : live video for advertising

huggytree
05-20-2009, 05:44 PM
i had breakfast with a web site designer guy today...he was trying to talk me into doing a live video of a plumbing subject and put it to all the video sites. he says there would be a link back to my website and it would get me business.

tankless water heaters was the example we talked about...first of all 99% of the people wouldnt even be in my market...sounds like $1k to do it.

sounds like a bad idea to me...any thoughts?

vangogh
05-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Was he thinking of putting the video on YouTube or similar? Where would the link come from? His site?

If you have a camera you can make a live video yourself and then you can upload the video to YouTube and have YouTube convert it to the proper format. $1k sounds like a lot of money for something like that.

The idea of using video in general is good. Many businesses are using video to market themselves. However you have to know the audience watching. I'm not sure how many people would want to watch you work. However if you developed a video teaching people how to DIY plumbing for simple things you could gather an audience and customers. Funny works too.

In general video does have a lot of potential. It'll be the details that determine if it makes sense for you to do.

Patrysha
05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Sounds like someone who does something similar to what I do as far as the video marketing end of things. He's likely using something like Traffic Geyser or TubeMogul to do the submissions. $1000 sounds like around the going rate for this type of service if they know how to do the keyword placements and so on. Great return on investment with this type of marketing...

huggytree
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM
is it really a great return when i am a service company serving a 50 mile radius?

yea it would work if i sold a neat new product that anyone could order...but im extremely limited to who i can serve.

less than 1% of the people watching would be in my area. .0001 % is probably the best i could ever hope for. probably more like .00000001%

while if i sold a product that i could ship anywhere maybe .01% could be possible

SteveC
05-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Here is an idea... instead of you featuring in the video, why don't you ask some of your customers for video tesimonials... and use these instead.... all it takes is a video camera and off you go...

vangogh
05-21-2009, 12:46 AM
huggy the thing with online is that while the video may be seen mostly by people outside of your area those people might still link to your site. The links will help your site rank even for local search. So you still end up being more visible to people in your area.

You also want to consider that while most of the people seeing the video might be outside your area some will still be in your area. This could still reach more people locally than other advertising.

Maybe for you it's not worth the cost. Hard to know the result without doing it, though.

KristineS
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
is it really a great return when i am a service company serving a 50 mile radius?

yea it would work if i sold a neat new product that anyone could order...but im extremely limited to who i can serve.

less than 1% of the people watching would be in my area. .0001 % is probably the best i could ever hope for. probably more like .00000001%

while if i sold a product that i could ship anywhere maybe .01% could be possible

I have to say that was my first thought when I read this thread.

Video can be a great tool, and Vangogh is exactly right when he says it can help with links and such, but if you have $1,000 to spend, I'm not sure I'd spend it on a video.

It seems like there would be methods that you could use that would reach more of your target audience while still building links and traffic for your site.

Just my 2 cents.