PDA

View Full Version : Best Free (or Low Cost) Marketing Ideas

KristineS
08-13-2008, 10:36 AM
One thing I hear a lot from small business owners is the lament that they can't afford to do advertising or marketing. It is true that most advertising or marketing costs money, but it is also true that you can't increase your business without advertising or marketing.

If you were advising a small business with limited marketing funds, what ideas would you give them for low cost or no cost marketing techniques?

Steve B
08-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Honestly - the advice I would give them is to get a job. You can't be successful if you don't have an appropriate marketing budget and at least a vague concept of how to market your business. I see it all the time in my advertising business - where the owners act like spending money on advertising is a luxury they hope to be able to afford someday. These businesses are usually out of business within 18 months. They might as well cut their losses now.

Patrysha
08-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Good Base Materials (brochures, flyer, website) are the first thing I would invest in...

Then Public Relations (Press Releases & Other Media Marketing)

Establishing great lead generation (special reports, listbuilding, customer referral programs)

For most small businesses these activities can be done for relatively low cost and can create enough of a return to start costlier marketing efforts

Marcomguy
08-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I agree with RadioGirl. To that list I would add networking.

KristineS
08-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I think networking is a great tool that a lot of people miss. It can be very low cost and it also can be a great way to get new business.

Spider
08-13-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't believe it is impossible to succeed in business without an advertising and marketing budget. How much you need to spend will depend on your business and your industry. If you are a retail shop then a certain amount of advertising will be necessary, perhaps. If you are a service business, you may need to spend some money on marketing.

In the construction industry, for example, you are likely to know people in the industry before you start your own business, and a few telephone calls to a few acquaintances may be all that is necessary to get the ball rolling. After that maintaining contact with as many industry people as possible could get you all you the business you want.

In fact, I would encourage a small business, regardless of the amount of money they have available, to leverage their friends, family and acquaintances. Make a list of everyone you know (or, more importantly, who knows you), call these people and ask for their help - tell them briefly about your business (in no more than 20 seconds) and ask them who they know who could help you get started or expand. Ask your friend to speak to their friend and tell them something about you, then call your friend's friend and ask *them* if they know someone who could help you.

As long as you are asking for help, you are likely to get help. Start selling and trying to get an order and people clam up. That sort of thing makes it a cold call and people don't like cold calls these days. But ask for their help and people are less likely to blow you off. If they can help you, they wll pass you on. If they want what you have to offerf, they will tell you, "Hey! I need some of that. Come and see me!"

I guess you could call it networking - I call leveraging.

orion_joel
08-14-2008, 12:03 AM
I do agree with spider, in your first week or two maximize anyone you know, if their is a chance they someone that may be able to use your business.

Beyond this and even overlapping in this period it is essential to be marketing. I think there are a few things that can all be covered for under a few hundred and give you a much better start then nothing.

1. Business Cards - To get 250 or 500 business cards, even if they are just black and white with your name and address and business details, should cost less then $50, and give them to everyone you meet, if you think that someone you meet may know someone who needs your services then give them two and say pass it on to someone else if you think they need my services.

2. Flyers - If this seems like a suitable means of advertising for your business it can be done for very little, copies can be had for about 6cents a page or less, in black and white, so for 500 A4 flyers this is $30, or do A5 and get twice as many for half the price. Getting them into mailboxes is another thing, but sometimes you need to invest a little time to get some return. Later on it may pay to pay someone else to drop them off, but if you are really scrapping for dollars doing it yourself is low cost.

3. Public Notice boards - Many shopping center's have public notice boards some require that you use provided cards to write your message on others allow whatever to be put up, while sometimes they start to look messy, it can be a way to get your name out a little more.

4. Classifieds - Often it can be quite expensive to buy display ad space in newspapers, however placing a classified add can be relatively cheap, most papers have a section that has business categories, and you can advertise in the most relevant category. It is lower cost, and you may be advertising alongside other people in the same type of business, but i think the response to a lot of classifieds are pot luck mostly anyway.

5. Adwords - While many people do send hundreds or thousands of dollars per day on adwords marketing, It is by far the lowest cost way to get into search results (admittedly to the side and not always at the top) but if you have a fairly low competition market, spending $1 per day at 9cents a click is hardly going to kill you that is just $30 per month, assuming that you use the full $1 budget each day.

These are just some of the ideas, that to date i have failed to capitalize on even due to their low cost. Maybe you notice that i like to point out the fact i have failed to capitalize on marketing quite a bit, and it is really due to the fact that i hope i learn from my own mistakes, and do better at the marketing thing next time i try it out.

Steve B
08-14-2008, 05:29 AM
You may have overlooked the word "appropriate" in my post above. Depending on your business you may not need any budget - but most need some budget or they are doomed for failure.

Harold Mansfield
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
People seriously overlook the power of a good article marketing campaign on the web. It doesn't cost anything but time, but you can attract a lot of attention to your service by providing people with information, tips and expertise, and making a name for yourself as an expert.

That is why people are online...Information, Entertainment, or Shopping.

If you don't have a budget at all, if properly done it is the best way to be sure that SOMEONE will see who you are and know about your services.

There are many article marketers out there, that put the time in, post relevant content to article sites, blogs, and press release sites that make a killing in affiliate sales, and they don't spend a dime. Just time.

KristineS
12-31-2008, 07:41 PM
I agree, articles are a great way to get noticed and all they cost is time. I use articles as a tool to publicize our companies. You'd be amazed how many industry magazines are hurting for articles. Most will give you a bio and a credit if you write for them. They'll also be more likely to feature your press releases. It becomes a mutually beneficial situation. I've never yet had a magazine say no when I asked if they needed articles. It's certainly worth a try. The worst that can happen is they do say no and then you're no worse off than you were.

Aaron Hats
01-01-2009, 10:07 AM
A small business could also partner with other small businesses. For example, a retail store could partner with two of their business neighbors. They could promote a special event together in the local newspaper. Say a 1/4 page ad costs $300 and they want to run the ad for three days prior to the big event. If one business were to do this it would cost them $900 but by partnering with the other two businesses it only costs each business $300. This would get them three days worth of ads at the cost of just one day and their event becomes even bigger by being part of a multi-store event potentially drawing in the other stores customers as well as their own.

KristineS
01-01-2009, 10:27 AM
A lot of our local business, particularly in the downtown district, do something like this, Aaron. It seems to be pretty successful. Not to mention working with neighboring businesses might also lead to recommendations. Word of mouth can be a powerful tool.

I think business owners forget about working together sometimes because they tend to see every other business as competition. It's a good reminder that joining forces can help increase your reach when it comes to advertising dollars.

thx4yrtym
01-01-2009, 01:06 PM
A little variation on Aaron's post would be to create coupons , one for each of the three businesses involved. At my store I hand out the coupons of the other two businesses and they each do the same for me.

I now have potential access to all of their customers. People using the coupons will tell others about where they got the coupons and where they used them.

If you think cross promotion doesn't work then explain to me why we get so much stuff stuffed into our bills and packages that we receive.

If your product changes frequently you may be successful at gathering names and other info during the process, just be careful it's not done in such a way as to turn off the folks you are trying to develop a relationship with.

Choose your partnering businesses carefully and watch your business grow.

Regards,

Gregg
Custom Program Solutions

SteveC
01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
The best and cheapest way to market a business is to use ones existing customers fully... simply give them a “How’s things?” call every other month or two and you’ll be surprised at how much extra business this generates.

You should also ask all customers, once you have fulfilled your promises to them for a couple of referrals, ensure that they are good referrals and you’re closing average will be above average.

KristineS
01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
You're right about the "how's things" calls SteveC. You can also call at the end of the year and say thanks for their business. We made those calls at the end of 2008 and included a code for five percent off their next order. We had a good response, and a lot of people were pleased that we called to say thank you. We got some nice sales too.

Ad-Vice_Man
01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
First things first the most cost effective advertising/marketing material you have/need is a business card. If you can't afford to get nicely designed, quality paper business cards, then you should hang it up and just get a job.

When you have more time than money then use your time to advertise yourself.

This includes Networking, PR, Article Writing, Web Forum Posting etc.

When you have more money than time, either hire someone else to do the above and or get into advertising. My Ranking by upfront expense (not necessarily efficiency or effectiveness)...

Flyers, Door Hangers, Marriage Mail, Direct Mail, Cable TV, Newspaper, Billboards, Magazines, Broadcast Radio, Broadcast TV

ShopLady
01-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Take full advantage of YouTube and start your own very free and very noticeable viral marketing campaign. All you need is the default Windows Movie Maker, perhaps a few sound clips of yourself (or video clips) talking about your business and images that give the viewer a proper and clear visual as to what you are trying to sell, promote, etc. Having a few of your blogging friends add your logo or banner to their website wouldn't hurt, either, that way two or three keywords pertaining to your business could be added to their site header making their blog show up in more results, meaning your ad would be given a wider audience. Everyone wins. Search the web for radio stations that only broadcast online, and check out how much they charge for advertising plugs on-air.

And here is one thing I learned about flyers: People won't remember them half the time. Print about a dozen or two dozen, but print your contact/business info at the bottom of the flyer vertically a few times and create tabbed slips of info people can snag when they look at your flyer. That will give them something to remember your flyer by.

T-shirts, buttons, magnets, mugs, bumper stickers, car door magnets and anything that the average person uses daily is another great way to promote. Spend a small part of your budget on any of the above and hand them out for free. You'll be remembered for it, and gain profits.

franktang00
07-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Social media is a free way to get your name/services out there....it requires more work though. Facebook groups/fan pages or business twitter accounts are great ways for potential virality.

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2009, 05:40 PM
The best and cheapest way to market a business is to use ones existing customers fully... simply give them a “How’s things?” call every other month or two and you’ll be surprised at how much extra business this generates.

You should also ask all customers, once you have fulfilled your promises to them for a couple of referrals, ensure that they are good referrals and you’re closing average will be above average.

To add to Steve's tip. A nice way to do that is to send your satisfied, or existing customers a "Thanks for your business" card. It doesn't have to be fancy, and you can buy them in bulk, or print them one at a time on your own computer.
Just a little something to reiterate your appreciation and contact info, and maybe throw in at the end, a "be sure to tell your friends about us" (or not even) and toss in 5-10 business cards.
Cheap...and for every customer you have a 10x possibility that they will pass your card onto someone who needs your services.

You can even combine it with your bill, if you do post mail for billing.

Remipub
08-18-2009, 05:52 PM
I would caution also to not confuse inexpensive for cheap. Far too often a business will cut corners to keep costs down only to find that the "cheap" alternative only damages their image. We've all seen low budget TV commercials (especially for used cars) - and what is the impression? I may be alone in this, but I view those companies as 2nd rate based on their advertising presentation. The same principle applies to anything a business does as a mode of promotion. It's important to keep costs down, but if you can't afford to do it well, it may be advisable to wait until you can.

Spider
08-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Here's a neat twist on the "Greeting Cards to Customers" idea that may be worth a try.

Everyone tries to get referrals from satisfied customers - that's a standard. But who tries to get referrals from vendors? Along the lines of --- "I have been a loyal customer of yours for many years. I have referred others to you because I have been satisfied with your service. Would you do the same for me? I would be most grateful if you would refer us to your other customers and clients."

You could send this to businesses that supply your business as well as other businesses with which you do business - your insurance agent, your attorney, your accountant, the people who service your vehicles and your computers, your chiropractor, your yoga people, the Avon lady .... anyone you buy from. And especially anyone you regularly refer to others.

yummytork
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Nobody mentioned any types of incentives. This is a shameless plug, and feel free to slap me Mods, but they are so cheap compared to their perceived value. I explain it more in my sig link if anyone wants to understand how they work better, and get a free 1 to try next time you need a new incentive idea.

Vivid Color Zack
09-15-2009, 05:10 PM
^^ Great point.

dbelmont
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
One thing I hear a lot from small business owners is the lament that they can't afford to do advertising or marketing. It is true that most advertising or marketing costs money, but it is also true that you can't increase your business without advertising or marketing.

If you were advising a small business with limited marketing funds, what ideas would you give them for low cost or no cost marketing techniques?

Develop a 30 second (no longer) explanation of what you do and find an excuse to give it to everyone you can. Face to face. Cost is virtually nil. Have business card at the ready. Hand to person as you speak your bit. Make sure the answer gives the person an obvious question to ask so you get implicit permission to tell them more.

The trick is this "elevator speech" has to be understandable to folks who know nothing about what you do . (and frankly do not care). It has to be simple. Short, sweet and to the point.

Example from my thermal imaging business.

"I find leaks"

Yes, I have a few slightly longer variation but when I can engage someone and get them to ask me what I do that's my answer. I say that as I hand them my card. It invariably gets more questions and I will then add. "I use an infrared camera to find leaks"

I could wax poetic about thermodynamics and how many things can be discovered with infrared. I don't as it's a sure thing to make eyes glaze over.

Make a plan/goal to talk to a certain number of people. And go out to do it. 5 per day or even 3 is good if you do it consistently. More will make you start to sound like Ron Popeil. You want to sound like someone just having a conversation. Wkeeping your eye on your goal.

Which is usually a lead to someone who may need your service. I find it best not to ask if the person I'm talking to is interested as it makes them defensive. Of course if they indiate they need my service I do then start asking them about their need.

This is a numbers game. You're not trying to force someone to want/need your service. You're just looking for someone who needs your service and if you talk to enough poeple you will find them. (Then build yourself a good referral rewards program to get more out of them).

Don Belmont

dbelmont
09-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Honestly - the advice I would give them is to get a job. You can't be successful if you don't have an appropriate marketing budget and at least a vague concept of how to market your business. I see it all the time in my advertising business - where the owners act like spending money on advertising is a luxury they hope to be able to afford someday. These businesses are usually out of business within 18 months. They might as well cut their losses now.

I have to agree with Steve in part. That inabilty to spend anything on your marketing effort is short sighted. I have to disagree that working from a shoestring budget or even no budget means folks can not eventually succeed if they are focused.

In fact I see the over reliance on traditional advertising as an almost certain way to over spend for your business when money is tight.

One mistake of the small business is taking their life savings and dumping it into traditional advertising trying to enter a market. Keeping ins mind that the goal of ad sales people is to sell ads, not to build your business.

To make a hit with print (radio, tv, direct mail etc) you need bucks to spend as the message needs to be seen by a potential customer many times before they will act. . And the overall rate of return is usually measured by a very low percentage or none at all.

In my specialty of the single person small business I'm fond of the face to face approach as it costs virtually nothing and can be highly effective since it's ultimately flexible. It's true it will not generate huge response at first but if you are focused and frugal you can build on it with other cost-effective techniques.

Since it's just you the success rate often doesn't have to be that high ( as long as you are profitably priced and keep your costs of doing business under control) to make a living. And it gives a solid base that can be built upon.

The key is a practical and realistic plan. With every marketing/advertising method being judged rigorously (aand early) on if it carries it's weight. (I just added that to my list of papers to write. How to judge advertising success for the small service business)

Don Belmont

Spider
09-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Excellent posts, Don. I agree that, for the very small business, there's not much to beat networking to promote your business.

I read "How To Work a Room" a long time ago and found it very useful. Therefore I feel comfortable recommending the 2007 updated verson --

How to Work a Room, Revised Edition: Your Essential Guide to Savvy Socializing (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061238678?ie=UTF8&tag=i45mc-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0061238678)

dbelmont
09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Excellent posts, Don. I agree that, for the very small business, there's not much to beat networking to promote your business.

I read "How To Work a Room" a long time ago and found it very useful. Therefore I feel comfortable recommending the 2007 updated verson --

How to Work a Room, Revised Edition: Your Essential Guide to Savvy Socializing (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061238678?ie=UTF8&tag=i45mc-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0061238678)

Yes. It just doesn't get better. It's cheap to do. It can be as immediate as you want it to be. It can get you business today. And frankly for me it's a rush.

Don Belmont

Express Web Studio
06-24-2014, 03:01 PM
If a person sees your face and talks to you 3 feet away for 20 seconds they are 50% more likely to buy from you than another competitor.

Talk to people everywhere you go...

zinsavage123
07-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Blogging and video marketing are my personal favorites.