PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Announces Release Date For Its Original Netflix Films

LogansWalk
07-07-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm one of those who has cut their cable service and has a Netflix subscription as I just really don't watch much television anymore save for the local news, but I had no idea they were releasing their own films and thought some might find this interesting

Netflix has slowly been getting into the business of making original movies, but it's all been smoke and acquisitions — until now. The company has announced the release schedule for its first set of films, and they're coming this year.

Arriving on October 16th is Beasts of No Nation, the new film from True Detective director Cary Fukunaga. The film will be going live on Netflix, and is still set to open in select US theaters — very likely a qualifying run for any potential awards consideration at the end of the year.

The first of four Adam Sandler films being made for Netflix, The Ridiculous Six, will debut on December 11th. Sandler, Terry Crews, Rob Schneider, and Nick Nolte all star in the film, which will be beating the 70mm release of Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight by a couple of weeks...

Netflix announces release dates for its first set of original movies | The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/7/8907313/netflix-original-movie-release-date-calendar-adam-sandler-fukunaga?ref=yfp)

Harold Mansfield
07-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Their original series have been very successful. Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Lillyhammer, Grace and Frankie, Daredevil, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Bloodline and many others. They also brought back Arrested Development which was a great move for them.

They've been hitting it out of the park. Also their licensing deals for other movies are really slow and hard to come by. So why not continue making their own content? It's been working.

vangogh
07-07-2015, 11:37 PM
I saw the same article earlier today. They've done a great job. I haven't found time to watch all their shows, but I've liked everyone I've watched. I wasn't crazy about the new season of Arrested Development. It wasn't the same when they couldn't all be together. I think they've agreed to do another season.

Showtime's channel popped up on the Apple TV today. HBO Now has been around for a little while too. I can't justify paying for all of them so I might have to turn each on and off a few months at a time, while I watch a few things.

A couple of years ago, right around the time Netflix received flack about temporarily separating the streaming and DVD rentals as separate business, Reed Hastings said something about Netflix trying to become HBO, before HBO could become Netflix. They seemed to both get here about the same time, which is probably best for us.

Harold Mansfield
07-08-2015, 10:36 AM
I actually didn't get on board with Netflix until they went streaming. I knew being responsible for sending discs back by mail was going to be trouble. Back then I had to buy a wifi enabled Blueray player to take advantage of it. I never used it for Bluerays. Now it collects dust.

This past year I've been making adjustments to my entertainment costs. I was paying $240 mo. for internet/cable/phone bundle and didn't have ANY movie channels. Since then I've cut my internet speed down to 100mpbs ( no noticeable difference) which cut my bill by $100 and I picked up 2 HBO's and a sports package ( I mean really, how many HBO's does one need). Then I added an XBOX and a Ruku. So now I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime ( which is really about the free 2 day shipping), HBO GO, and Roku adds about another 30 channels that I use regularly out of around 1200 available.

All that and I have more options and am paying about $70 a month less.

I'm not cutting the cord yet, but I'm far less reliant on cable channels than I used to be, I get more, and I'm paying less than before.
If the NFL offers streaming games this year through XBOX like they did last year, that will make it complete and I could very well do without cable altogether.

turboguy
07-08-2015, 12:03 PM
One of the things I have found is that if you call your cable company and say you are thinking of switching to dish or cutting the cable they will usually find a way to reduce your costs. Right now we are on a very basic cable package with maybe 80-100 channels and with internet pay about $ 120 a month. The last time we called they cut our cable speed and dropped 20 bucks off the bill but we don't notice a difference in the cable speed. I have never signed up for Netflix or the like and can find lots of movies for free on the internet including some recent hits. If at some point it is possible to get the Steeler games on the internet I don't think I would need cable at all.

KristineS
07-08-2015, 03:36 PM
I dropped cable television about two years ago and have never missed it. My disclaimer here is that I was never a huge television watcher, so spending the money to have cable tv just seemed a waste for me. I did get Amazon Prime and watch some shows through that and also Hulu. So far, anything I've wanted to see I've been able to see.

I am curious about the Roku though, as I've looked at that a few different times but couldn't make a decision as to whether or not it would be worth it. Do you find it useful Harold?

Harold Mansfield
07-08-2015, 04:18 PM
I am curious about the Roku though, as I've looked at that a few different times but couldn't make a decision as to whether or not it would be worth it. Do you find it useful Harold?
Yeah. I use it everyday. I mean it's $50 for the streaming stick and most of the 1200 channels are free. I mostly watch Crackle (Jerry Sienfeld's show Comedians Driving in Cars Getting Coffee'), TWiT TV ( All Tech shows), History, C|Net, PBS, NASA Pop Sci, and I'll browse through some of the other off beat channels. I also use it when I want to rent a movie to watch via M-GO. It also has a lot of independent film channels.

I usually use my XBOX for Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and Amazon although Roku has all of those apps too.

Here's the Rokku Channel line up:
https://www.roku.com/channels#!browse/movies-and-tv/by-popular

You can also cast from a mobile device just all the others. For me $50 was a no brainer. My Friday bar tab is more than that.

jamesray50
07-08-2015, 08:21 PM
When I was living with and taking care of my parents we had two TV's with two cable boxes, all channels except premium, HD was extra, two phone lines and high speed internet. Our bill was almost $300 month. That was ridiculous, so I cancelled one of the cable boxes (the one on my TV) and bought a Roku. It dropped our bill to $189 month. I also switched out the fancy cable boxes, which never worked properly anyway, and got one regular box for my parents. That was okay. I found plenty of stuff to watch on Roku. I was too busy caring for them to watch live TV shows. Now that I am no longer caring for them and have moved to a different state and my own place I still have cable. My cable box is connected to the smart TV in the living room and the Roku to the TV in the bedroom. The only reason I have cable is for local news and HBO (I love Game of Thrones). Being new in town I like watching local news to see what is going on. My smart TV is not smart enough to connect to my WIFI, and believe me, I have tried everything. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm thinking about getting a Roku stick for it and when my current special with the cable company is up I may cancel. But, that will really depend on HBO. I read somewhere they may offer a subscription service outside of cable companies. If they do that then I won't need cable to watch HBO Go.

turboguy
07-08-2015, 08:45 PM
But, that will really depend on HBO. I read somewhere they may offer a subscription service outside of cable companies. If they do that then I won't need cable to watch HBO Go.

It is available now. Here is a link

https://order.hbonow.com/

jamesray50
07-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Thank you very much!