PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get funding as a young person?

shutupdan
07-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Hey guys. I was wondering if you know of any good place to get startup funding at a young age(18 and 19). Also, would indiegogo be a good place to start a campaign? We want to open an IT support and computer sales business. We don't really have any sob story except that we need 5k to live off for a few months as we start to get more clients, and neither of our parents have money to help us. My dad is unemployed and my mom works at Wal-Mart. My friends dad owns a little mack truck repair shop. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Freelancier
07-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Your best bet is to try to find paying customers in a hurry. Unless you have friends who have money who believe in you, don't waste your time hunting for money, spend it hunting for paying customers with short time-frame tasks you can invoice and get paid within a day or two.

shutupdan
07-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Hmm. That's a good idea I guess if I had a place to live and money for gas. I do know someone that will be our hardware supplier as we set up HaaS that I've known for about five years, I've just been weary about asking for a loan.

Freelancier
07-05-2015, 09:49 AM
That's a good idea I guess if I had a place to live and money for gas.If you don't have that and you don't have customers ready to go, you don't have enough money to start a successful business. Most businesses fail in the first year because of lack of cash; don't be part of that statistic. Time to go find a job and save up to start your business.

Harold Mansfield
07-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Hmm. That's a good idea I guess if I had a place to live and money for gas. I do know someone that will be our hardware supplier as we set up HaaS that I've known for about five years, I've just been weary about asking for a loan.

I wouldn't do it. I mean why would I loan an 18-19 year old money to live on, and start a business when they aren't even trying to do anything on their own? Sounds like you need to get a job, and get stable with at least the basics before you attempt to start up a business. No one is going to loan you money to start a business in the state you're in, and you don't have anything worth investing in.

Even if it takes 2 or3 jobs, if it's important to you and you believe in it you'll do what you have to.
That's pretty much the way most people start. Bootstrapping.

In other words, you're young and can do whatever you want. The world is your oyster. Go out. Do. Try. Fail, and try again.
People are more willing to help those who help themselves. Whoever "we" is there should be no reason that you can't work and save $5k between you and start building your business on the side while paying the bills.

SellingZeroesAndOnes
07-08-2015, 05:20 PM
I agree with everything said above. It doesn't make sense to look for loans at this point, your time would be better yet looking for customers.

How about this as a plan:
-Get a part time job or even full time job
-In the evenings and on weekends, figure out who your target demographic is. Is it simple IT support for homeowners or business related IT? Contact anyone and everyone you know and inform them of your services. I'm sure you'll find someone who has a computer issue you can fix and start getting some cash flow. What about older people who might need IT help?
-Once you have an idea of who you want as your customer, go out there and find them.
- Eventually the business will have enough cash flow to allow you to leave your job and focus on growing the business.

JOSourcing
07-11-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm surprised that no one suggested start-up sites. Are they a "no-no" here? If not, try KickStarter. Alternatives are here: 8 Kickstarter Alternatives You Should Know About (http://mashable.com/2012/12/06/kickstarter-alternatives/)

You should note that the business practices of these types of sites are being scrutinized by your favorite U.S. Govt. department. So I highly suggest you remain ethical. Previous scam artists have given these ventures a big, pretty, red flag.