PDA

View Full Version : One Marketing Plan Fits All

KristineS
08-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Every once in a while I'll get a e-mail from someone promising me that they have this revolutionary new marketing plan that is guaranteed to bring me business. Generally it's some cookie cutter plan that could be applied to almost any business or industry.

In my opinion, those plans don't work. I think the best marketing plans are custom tailored to the company for this they are intended.

Am I right or wrong in that assumption?

Patrysha
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I believe you are right...

While some of the plans can be adapted to any business, the key word is adapted. They won't stand a chance if they are cookie-cutter plans that haven't been customized.

No one system will work for everyone in every situation...

In fact, without tweaking and testing even a business following their own plan can get off-track if they aren't adapting to their customers needs.

Marcomguy
08-13-2008, 09:13 PM
You're right. The person selling you the plan doesn't know your business situation, goals, etc.

There are some truths of marketing that apply to every product, but I think what we really need is someone to analyze our specific situations and recommend tailored marketing plans.

Come to think of it, that's what advertising and marketing agencies do.

orion_joel
08-14-2008, 12:07 AM
While fully customized marketing plans are good and will provide a lot better option to some businesses, a cookie cutter marketing plan may not always be a bad thing. I mean, at least it would mean you have some sort of marketing plan even if it is a basic one.

This is not to say that a cookie cutter plan should be the be all and end all of you marketing. It would absolutely be worth using it as a start and then adding, and adapting it as you see what works and what does not.

Ad-Vice_Man
08-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Marcom, you're right... this is what advertising and marketing companies do for their clients. They identify what their clients situation/problem/goal is, assess their clients strengths, weaknesses and assets, and utilize all of the tools available to them and build a custom campaign, that is regularly assessed and tweaked.

Think of it like building a house, in theory I could build myself a house (FYI I'm not a carpenters of any sort) by simply going to the local Home depot, buy some ply wood, a saw, a hammer and some nails. I'd have been very economical with my tool expenditure and materials, but imagine what the house would look like, It wouldn't be very comfortable. ie. it would likely leak in a rain, rattle in the wind and be cold during the winter. But think of all of the tools and materials that a professional home builder would use. And that home builder knows what materials go where and which tool to use for what.

orion_joel
08-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Ad-Vice_Man, that is a really good point there. I mean you do see many people that build a house as an owner builder, however it generally takes them a lot longer to get things together right then it would take a qualified professional. I would expect it would play the same for marketing, while you could take a DIY approach and put things together yourself it is going to take a lot longer to get it right then if you paid a professional to do it in the first place.