PDA

View Full Version : Website Start

Paul
07-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Frontline Plans | Wix.com (http://paul10507.wix.com/go-public-1#)!

This is a site I was messing around with some time ago on a wix DIY program. The intent was to create the basic site and then have a pro spiff it up. Our primary business is taking micro cap companies public. These are NOT Wall Street deals, just small OTC type offerings.

There is no real concern for SEO as we don’t expect to attract clients through the internet, but maybe we will be surprised. Our marketing is a little different in that we search out prospective candidates or are referred by contacts.

We just want to try to reduce that first round of discussions about “going public” and be able to refer prospects to a website.
I wanted it to be fairly short and easy reading. We are not trying to make a “sale” conversion from the site, just trying to save some “phone” time with the most basic info.

I may create a separate site or section that addresses legal issues, the process and related strategies in more detail. That could easily be pages and pages but I didn’t want to go down that path yet.

Anyway, the questions are: is this copy too simplistic, is the black and white scheme too boring and does it at least answer the initial questions about going public and what else would you want to know on a first round of info.

BTW-I had discussed on here with Harold and others why I didn't see a need for a site BUT I think I may have to have one after all!

billbenson
07-06-2015, 07:24 PM
For one, I think you are going to need a professional domain name. If I get an email from a free domain, it goes to the bottom of the priority list. Not always because of other factors, but usually.

If you do use a site builder, keep all of your web pages in a site folder on your pc. A lot of website builders don't allow you to access your db. If you do decide to make a real web site out of it down the road, you want to make the transition easy for the website designer / developer. That includes images.

I never thought about this before, but who owns the copyright to information on a free website?

Lastly, you probably want to use a good website copy writer.

Yours is one of the few cases I have seen that a website builder may be the best route starting out. Mainly because you have less website management issues that are time consuming.

All that being said, if you have the funds, why not do it right from the start. Not needing SERPS placement, this doesn't sound to me like an expensive website.

vangogh
07-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately I can't see the site. I only see a message that I need to install a Flash player. I assume that's just a temporary thing until the site would be live, but in case you are building a site using Flash, my review is don't use Flash.

The intent was to create the basic site and then have a pro spiff it up.

Speaking as a professional web designer, the quote above tells me you'd be an awful client. Obviously I don't know you and I wouldn't make this kind of judgement about you based on one sentence, but the message you're communicating is that you don't want to pay for a website and you'll do a bunch of stuff cheaply so it won't cost much for a pro to sprinkle on some magic fairy dust at the end to make things beautiful. That's not what professional designers do.

If your plan is to hire a pro, then just hire one. Don't try to figure out in advance how to reduce what the pro will charge you. I would probably charge you more to work on your Wix site because I wouldn't be able to use the tools I typically use to design and develop websites and making changes would likely be more work for me than less. Actually I would turn you away because it wouldn't be worth it to me to tweak a Wix template.

David Hunter
07-07-2015, 01:36 PM
I'm with Bill and Vangogh.

Get a real website and you'll look more professional. You're talking about taking companies public, and you're using a free website. Not good.

I would keep it simple, but would also ad an opt-in form for you to collect contact info. If you don't ask for their info you won't get their info. So ask! Offer something of value. Create a free report on going public as your lead generation magnet.

jamesray50
07-07-2015, 10:58 PM
I was going to give you an end user review of your website, but I also got the message about the flash player and I didn't install it.

Paul
07-09-2015, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I should have made it clearer that I’m not trying to save money by doing it myself or by using a free service. It’s not the actual site. I just used wix as a “sketchbook” to lay out my idea. It’s easier than starting from scratch with a web designer and copywriter. They can at least see my idea and then go from there.

We have never had a website because it never was needed. Business generally comes from referrals. However, we do seek out companies that we think would be good candidates to go public. In those cases a site would be helpful as a basic introduction.

If we go with a full site it can be very comprehensive with all the legal stuff.. However, for the preliminary pages I just wanted to address the most common concerns for those that are not familiar with going public.

The usual concerns are that it is a complicated process, that it is only for large companies and is expensive. So I guess my better question is , does this site, so far, address those initial concerns?

Another question is, if you were considering our services, and were not familiar with going public, would you feel more confident with a flashy site or with a more serious “legal” looking site?

BTW-sorry about the flash for sme of you. That shows how much I know about web tech.

chewbecca
08-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Too me the site just doesn't reputable. Looks somehow more some honeypot business (not accusing you of anything, just my first impression).
Also the whole page feels like a weird mxiture of old fashioned design and more modern web techniques.

I actually feel your texts are good and are explaing well what you are doing, even though they could offer some more information.

Hope this helps somewhat,
best regards