PDA

View Full Version : More Content Through Audio

vangogh
05-13-2009, 05:10 PM
For those of you willing to get into audio here's an interesting post showing how you can easily multiply your content (http://www.dailyblogtips.com/multiply-online-content/) and add an extra form of media.

The basic idea is to run a live ustream (live video) once a week for 15-30 minutes and then turn the show into a podcast. Your readers will ask you questions and you can transcribe the show into an article or probably use it as fodder for several articles.

Your podcast can also be submitted as a separate rss feed to have a new marketing channel.

I'm guessing it would take a few weeks to get the process down and you would naturally need some existing readers for this to work. Seems like a good idea overall.

Would you be interested in including audio and video into your blog? Think it could take your blog to the next level?

Patrysha
05-13-2009, 07:08 PM
It something I've been considering adding for some time...

Whether it takes me to the next level or not...well it doesn't really have to take me far (the northern part of the province would suit me just fine...more than enough business for me to make a healthy living)...I guess we'll see.

vangogh
05-14-2009, 12:20 AM
I've been wanting to do screencasts for awhile. Seems like it would be a good fit for me with a design or development post. About a month or two ago I started listening to a few podcasts about WordPress. I can see where it could be a good format. The hard part for me is finding time to listen to them, but if they're kept short (under a half hour) it shouldn't be a problem.

The screencasts would likely be 5-10 minutes.

I only see more people listening to and offering audio and video in the future. Might as well get in on it now.

KristineS
05-15-2009, 12:54 PM
We've kicked this idea around too. We just added out first video to the web site, and more are on the drawing board, should we ever get time.

I think you can do some great things with podcasts and video if you're willing to put in the time and you do the work to learn the skills you need. There has to be a certain level of quality, at least in my opinion, particularly if it comes from a company.

vangogh
05-15-2009, 06:55 PM
You'd be a natural for adding audio or video since you pretty much do it for work anyway. Quality is always important, but especially with podcasts you can be relaxed and informal like you would be on a blog.

KristineS
05-16-2009, 12:41 PM
There is a difference between what I might do for myself and the OBS and what I would do for work. I think, if it comes from a company, there is a bit of an expectation of a higher level of quality.

Podcasts do intrigue me. I do a lot of audio for our videos now anyway, and podcasts would require a lot less work than putting together a video. I imagine I will try a podcast or two at some point.

vangogh
05-17-2009, 12:47 AM
I would think you have enough of a community on OBS to be able to get a podcast going. You talk about meetups on the site, but this could be a step toward that. Maybe you interview some people in the community or have a live session where people could post questions or even join in.

KristineS
05-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I've thought about that. There is enough of a community there. It's more about where I can most profitably spend my time at this point. First I want to get more people commenting and participating in challenges and stuff. After that we'll start building educational content, like podcasts. There are a lot of issues out there that need to be addressed and podcasts would be a great way to do that.