PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried that I gave out my social to a scam site?

redstar1324
06-21-2015, 03:49 PM
I applied for a loan from something I found on craigslist. I gave them my social security number. I later found out that it was a scam.

Should I be worried? How can I protect myself. I did not give them any bank account information.

Owen
06-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Well, not giving out your SSN is internet safety 101 unless you're dealing with a large company, like PayPal, specifically through their website and not some bogus email unless you 150% trust that company and it's verified that you're speaking directly to THEM. If that person decides to sell your SSN or do anything under your SSN, make sure you contact the FBI. Also, I would recommend you buy the most expensive LifeLock package. This will help you in a little bit, but if somehow they know how to bypass it, the FBI is going to have to get involved to make sure you're safe.

If you're under 18, they really can't do much with your SSN. However, they can still do malicious activities under it. If this is the case explain what happened and then contact the local authorities and they'll contact the FBI. Again, GET LIFELOCK.

Identity Theft Protection From ID & Credit Fraud | LifeLock (http://www.lifelock.com)

Freelancier
06-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Yes, I'd be worried. You should monitor your credit reports to see what they decide to do with it.

Harold Mansfield
06-21-2015, 05:48 PM
I applied for a loan from something I found on craigslist. I gave them my social security number. I later found out that it was a scam.

Should I be worried? How can I protect myself. I did not give them any bank account information.

Yes, you should be worried. Nothing you can do, and you can't take it back.
I'd do what Freelancer said and sign up for a credit or identity protection service.

Please don't look on Craig's list for financial services.

Business Attorney
06-22-2015, 01:00 AM
Yes, you should be worried. Once someone has your social security number, it is very easy for them to get all your other personal identifying information that they need to open credit in your name. You should definitely get a credit watch and you should strongly consider a credit security freeze, particularly if you don't plan to get any other credit in the near future. You should carefully read the pros and cons of a credit security freeze before you make that decision, however.

LogansWalk
06-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Yes, you should be worried. Nothing you can do, and you can't take it back.
I'd do what Freelancer said and sign up for a credit or identity protection service.

Please don't look on Craig's list for financial services.

Craigslist is chock full of scammers, really sad that people fall for some of these things but the scammers have gotten pretty inventive over the years and the average unwary person is easy pickings for these types.

redstar1324
06-22-2015, 02:34 PM
They had a fake license on their site.

I'm signing up for credit protection at my bank and reporting the company to the FBI.

Harold Mansfield
06-22-2015, 02:49 PM
They had a fake license on their site.
I'm really sorry that happened to you, but you have to take preventative measures now.
It's likely that your information will end up on a list of personal data for sale in batches to buyers from around the world who use it to piggyback and open new lines of credit in your name. They are fast. They'll max out your credit in one day shopping online and taking cash advances.

You have to sign up for a reputable monitoring service like Life Lock to shut down their ability to proceed.

It takes years to restore your good name after you've been a victim of identity theft.

Freelancier
06-22-2015, 02:57 PM
They'll max out your credit in one day shopping online and taking cash advances.
Had it happen to me a couple of times. Both times they didn't even need my social security number, the banks were all too happy to give them credit cards in my name. I had to put a hold on my credit reports to indicate that any new credit granted required the grantor to specifically speak with me and confirm the identity. Really slowed the junk mail credit card apps for a few years, but also stopped a few fraud attempts.

redstar1324
06-22-2015, 03:15 PM
I just signed up for Life Lock. I should have been more careful in the first place

billbenson
06-22-2015, 03:21 PM
While I agree with all of the above, I think its pretty easy to get your personal info including SS number anyway. You just made it easier.

redstar1324
06-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Life Lock said I should be good now.

Owen
06-22-2015, 11:43 PM
Life Lock said I should be good now.

Good. Hope you're safe :)

redstar1324
06-25-2015, 07:53 AM
You mean the police or the FBI?

Freelancier
06-25-2015, 11:21 AM
FBI and Treasury Dept handle financial scams, since they're often cross-state and involve violations of Federal codes.

billbenson
06-26-2015, 09:36 PM
FBI and Treasury Dept handle financial scams, since they're often cross-state and involve violations of Federal codes.

Unfortunately authorities don't follow up much after an initial investigation. I'm in a safe neighborhood. Little old lady next door has been robbed twice recently. I'm confident its the lawn guys she uses. She alway leaves her purse on the washing machine exiting the house through the garage. Someone broke into the garage and stole it. A month later someone cleaned her out while traveling.

After an initial invistigation the authorities never followed up.

That's why I would like a good camera system in my house. Give them a good DVD and they have no excuses.

turboguy
06-27-2015, 10:00 AM
I agree with you Bill. I think the main purpose the police have in their investigation is to document that you were robbed so you can turn it into your insurance company. Other than that they try to seem like they are doing their job so they don't get complaints.

billbenson
06-27-2015, 11:13 AM
I agree with you Bill. I think the main purpose the police have in their investigation is to document that you were robbed so you can turn it into your insurance company. Other than that they try to seem like they are doing their job so they don't get complaints.

The problem with the hacking and massive internet scams is they collect large amounts of data on a lot of people. They can then play the numbers game.

If they try to just target me, it's easy. But they would probably have done some research on me to see if I'm a good target.

naustin
06-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Hope everything works out for you. Being a victim of identity theft isn't fun. At least you have a heads up and know to look out for it now