PDA

View Full Version : Legalzoom Legit?

grubber2
06-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Hey there, Ive been wanting to get my DBA so that I can get my business in order, but since Im lazy I was looking for a way to get one online. Thats when I found this site called "Legalzoom". Does anyone know if this is a legit site? I just want to make sure my "paperwork" so to speak are all legal and since this site is offering something thats pretty important, I wanted to make sure it was legit. Thank you.

Freelancier
06-17-2015, 09:45 PM
A d/b/a is as simple as calling your county clerk's office and asking them for the paperwork and details. They'll tell you for free, you can set it up yourself in a few minutes and have the d/b/a within a month, depending on the requirements of your county. You don't need LegalZoom or an attorney for that.

LegalZoom is legit. But unnecessary in many instances.

MyITGuy
06-24-2015, 01:13 PM
The site is legit, I used them to setup my first company...however a d/b/a is a simple process as Freelancier mentioned. Your county may have the forms/payment online...

Harold Mansfield
06-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Yes it's legit. FYI: Robert Shapiro is a founding partner.

Business Attorney
06-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Most of what Legal Zoom does is fill in standard forms that are available to you, often online. Since you have to provide the information to them anyway, in most cases all they are doing is making sure you fill in all the blanks. Particularly for a DBA, you are basically paying Legal Zoom to fill in very little information.

They do have one advantage over doing it yourself, and that is convenience. It is a single point of contact if you are filling in various forms for various agencies, but again it is nothing that you can't do yourself with just a little more effort.