PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Lee Passes Away

LogansWalk
06-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Christopher Lee has now passed away at the age of 93. An old favorite of mine, I loved the old Hammer films when I was younger and later his work in the Star Wars films.

Prolific British Actor Christopher Lee Dies at Age 93 - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/prolific-british-actor-christopher-lee-dies-age-93-31687697)

I got a kick out of this story:

Filming a scene in Return of the King (seen only in the extended version), when Grima Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) stabs Saruman in the back on top of the tower, Christopher Lee corrected Peter Jackson on the fact that when a person is stabbed in the back of the chest, they do not scream (as the director wanted), in fact the air is pushed out of their lungs and they “groan” with an exhalation of air, very quietly, as their lungs have been punctured.

From Peter Jackson’s DVD commentary: “When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would, I was explaining to him what he should do… And he says, ‘Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?’ And I said, 'Um, no.’ And he says 'Well, I have, and I know what to do.’”

The crew said that they knew Christopher Lee had been in the British Royal Air Force Intelligence Service in World War Two, and they didn’t really push him for more information about how he knew in such detail exactly what noise a person makes when this is done to them.

He wouldn’t have told them anyway.

When pressed by an eager interviewer on his SAS past, he leaned forward and whispered: “Can you keep a secret?”

“Yes!” the interviewer replied, breathless with excitement.

“So can I.” replied a smiling Lee, sitting back in his chair.

billbenson
06-11-2015, 04:10 PM
It's always amused me how in movies, everyone who falls off a building screams. I might be saying something profane to myself, but I wouldn't be screaming.

My wife screams a lot though, but that's at me. :)

vangogh
06-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Sad to hear he passed away though he had a long life and I assume a pretty good one. Good behind the scenes story. I remember the scene.