PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Cure Writer's Block

KristineS
05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Anyone who writes, even if only occasionally, probably gets writer's block every once in a while. I'm fortunate in that I don't get it often, but it does happen every once in a while.

I found this article 20 Surefire Ways to Beat Writer's Block (http://dmiracle.com/general/20-surefire-ways-to-beat-writers-block/) which I think has some good tips. My favorite cure is to just free write. Sometimes I'll write about how stupid it is that I have to write anything at all, but it gets the words flowing and my fingers typing and eventually I'll get around the block and be able to finish what I need to do.

I'd like to know what the rest of you do when working to overcome writer's block. Please share your favorite tips.

vangogh
05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Nice article. I do a few of the things on the list, particularly write something else.

I find when writing isn't coming it's sometimes that I need to get away from it for a bit before getting back to it. I've also found that it generally means I wasn't as interested in the topic I was writing about as I thought. It's a signal to me to look for another topic.

As long as I'm interested in what I'm writing about I can usually avoid writer's block.

Free writing works well too. It helps keep the editor in you away so you can get your thoughts out. Another trick is to start by making an outline of what you want to write about and then flesh out the outline. That you're usually never writing more than a sentence or three at a time and you reduce everything to a few writing chunks at a time.

phanio
05-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I agree - get away for a while - get you mind focused on something else - then come back.

Dan Furman
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree - get away for a while - get you mind focused on something else - then come back.

I take my dog for a walk. Or play X-Box (really). Totally remove myself from "work" - that usually works. It's like a reboot.

vangogh
05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
The getting away lets your subconscious work while your conscious mind is distracted to the point it can't prevent your subconscious from doing its thing.

KristineS
05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I think getting away is a very good tactic. The harder I push it, the more blocked I get. If I can get away and just let the task sit in the back of my brain, I'll eventually figure out what I need to do and get the piece done.

Dan Furman
05-12-2009, 01:50 PM
@#$% it.... I'm going to the gym.

Today is one of these days we're talking about. Nothing is going to come out. So here's what I do:

- I have a project for a client I should be working on. Nine pages of content. Maybe 6 require "real" writing. The other 3 are things like "contact us" and such. Stuff that requires an intro paragraph and little more. So today, I'll knock out those three if I can. Just so it appears like I did "something". That's kind of important to me.

- Then, like I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm walking away. Today, that will involve going to the gym, then coming back home... if I still feel this way (and I might), I'll work on my speech for Toastmasters tonight, and maybe some Velvet Assassin on the X-Box.

It's good to be the King :)

KristineS
05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
It's always nice to have something that doesn't require a lot of "real" writing. I've had those days too. In those cases, I do as you described, and just get the boilerplate stuff out of the way, so it's done. Then I can still feel I accomplished something and let the other stuff sit until it's ready to be written.

Paul Elliott
05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the subject and the link. I don't think I've experienced true writer's block. I guess I do what you describe as "free writing." I simply write something about the subject. I certainly do have better times and worse times, but not what I've heard others describe as writer's block.

Hmmm. That's probably because my mouth works so well ... with or without my brain being engaged. :D Anyway ...

Since I usually work from an outline, I just start listing words and topics in the right margin, then, expand on them.

Unfortunately, none of the popular WP programs any longer has a decent outline processor. I used to use WordPro and it did this well. But since IBM bought it and abandoned it, I've used Word and Open Office.

Anyone know of a good outline processor?

Thanks.

Paul

vangogh
05-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Paul I'm not sure if it would be what you're looking for, but you could try Mind Mapping tools. Just do a quick search and you should find some free and paid mind mapping tools.

Patrysha
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't think I've ever experienced writer's block (knock on wood), but then I'm always writing about different topics and in different genres. If something is not clicking, I can always move on to a project that my mind and mood are up for. Sometimes just doing mindless bookkeeping or housekeeping tasks can set off a series of articles just from random thoughts...I try to keep list material handy wherever I am.

I've thought about trying mindmapping software...going so far as to download a recommended one along with a tutorial video or audio or some sort of multi-media...but I've never actually got to the point of using it. Pen and paper work for me...why mess with that and force myself to learn another program.

KristineS
05-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I've never tried mind mapping, but it might be something to look into.

I'm pretty much with you Patrysha, simple methods work best for me. If I try to get too complicated, I usually end up getting in my own way. I've always been kind of a seat of my pants writer and that seems to work well for me.

vangogh
05-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Mind Mapping is simple. You start with a word and then start brainstorming other related words. The whole process can help you build an outline for anything. Here's a link to a Wikipedia page listing all sorts of mind mapping software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mind_mapping_software). If you look at some of the images each application produces it's easy to understand what a mind map is.

stu gray
05-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Mind Mapping is an awesome way to help come up with ideas - especially if you use the different parts of your brain (meaning - including colors and pictures...when you mindmap)

I have a friend who swears by 'Going flying' when he has mental block. No, not all of us have our pilots licenses...but what he means is, he has to "fly the plane" and not concentrate on ANYTHING else...(if he does, he crashes the plane.) He says when he lands, everything seems to just pour out a bit easier.

I guess its that whole - focus on something else completely, and your brain simmers and processes stuff...then when you come back to the page(or keyboard) new ideas come to the top.

I really like the free writing idea too... If you have read any of Julia Cameron's work - The Artists Way, the writers life, the Right to Write...etc...she swears by Morning Pages - 3 longhand pages of just whatever you have in your head...get it all out...and that stimulates more thoughts.

vangogh
05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I guess its that whole - focus on something else completely, and your brain simmers and processes stuff

I think that's the key. When you move your attention to something else your subconscious starts working without your conscious editor getting in the way. The free pages are about training your editor to stay away while you're writing.

I have read on of Julia Cameron's books. I think it was The Artists Way. It's been awhile, but I remember enjoying it.

KristineS
05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I like Julia Cameron too. I think I have one of her books somewhere. I read it quite a while ago.