PDA

View Full Version : Android Development and Programming

Harold Mansfield
06-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Around the I/O Google announced Android Developers Courses in partnership with Udacity. I started taking one about a week ago.
It's actually very interesting and I think it's going to go well.

I'm also eyeballing the introduction to Python class, but after I get over the half way hump with the first class.

I'm not looking to develop apps as a service, but there are a few ideas I've had for a while and I need to know how to do for myself.

Just wondering if anyone else on the forum develops or tinkers with developing mobile apps, or is interested in it.

Freelancier
06-23-2015, 03:53 PM
So it took weeks to respond, but suddenly it's timely. I have THREE clients looking to us to do mobile apps. We're looking at cross-platform toolkits, just because it'll hopefully save us some time getting an app on the big three platforms without hopefully sacrificing features.

Any insights are appreciated.

Brian Altenhofel
06-23-2015, 04:28 PM
PhoneGap has been used on several projects that I've worked on. I can't speak for the developer experience on it because I didn't work directly with it.

Harold Mansfield
06-23-2015, 04:49 PM
I have no suggestions either as I'm still in the learning phase. It'll be a couple of months before I'm proficient enough to build anything worthy of going in the Play Store.
I don't know how good the cross platform solutions are, but I saw an app that my buddy uses to track his beer tasting as a PhoneGap example and it works well.

Freelancier
06-23-2015, 05:26 PM
I've spent the afternoon reading and the common threads I'm finding are:

PhoneGap: you can do it on all desired platforms, but it doesn't give you enough help for cross-platform issues, so expect to have to learn how to do that.
Xamarin: you can do it for iOS, Android, and Windows; and you can even use a typed language like C# to simplify development. It has more to load at startup, so it's slower to get going, but once going is native-fast.
Titanium: deployment can get expensive, the UI will be painful to create, only works with iOS, Android and Blackberry.

Telerik is working on NativeScript, which offers a way to do cross-platform javascript on mobile devices, but it still feels early (was just announced a few months ago). They also have their mobile platform offering, but I'm not seeing a lot of reviews of it, so not sure.

I'm not in love yet with any of them.

kimoonyx
01-06-2016, 02:27 AM
I have an interest in this subject too. I would like to be able to develop my own app as well for game start stores... good luck with your course bro.