PDA

View Full Version : George RR Martin Hurrying To Finish The Winds Of Winter Before HBO Series Catches-Up

M.Ehrmantraut
06-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I started reading Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire about 15 years ago and in that time, I've grown accustomed to waiting years between books. Well, now that the HBO series is almost caught-up with the novels, Martin is rushing to finish the latest in the series, The Winds Of Winter. I've watched the series up until this season and this really irks me that this is even an issue:

George R.R. Martin wasn’t able to write a fifth season episode of ‘Game of Thrones‘ due to his work on ‘The Winds of Winter‘ and it looks like he is still too busy with the next epic installment to pen a sixth season episode as well. As showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff are currently in the process of assigning the scripts out for the next season and with production beginning in July, the decision had to be made now. While Martin may have plans to be done by that time, there really is no guarantee that fans wouldn’t revolt hearing that the novel was even further delayed after a four year wait since ‘A Dance with Dragons’ was released.

Of course, that isn’t the only reason Martin might be in a hurry.

Considering that the sixth season will most likely premiere before ‘The Winds of Winter’ are released and events even in the fifth season might already contain new material it would be no surprise that Martin wants to try to get his next novel out before the show spoils it for readers. It will be an odd twist of fate with how many readers have spoiled the show for viewers so far.

George R.R. Martin Is Too Busy Working On 'The Winds of Winter' To Write A 'Game Of Thrones' Season Six Episode (http://sciencefiction.com/2015/06/02/george-r-r-martin-busy-working-winds-winter-write-game-thrones-season-six-episode/)

vangogh
06-04-2015, 11:59 PM
I've never seen the show or read any of the novels, though I'm pretty sure I would enjoy both. I don't have HBO. I plan on getting HBO Now, but I so much to watch already I thought I would get through what's waiting for me first. Game of Thrones is one of the reasons I want to get HBO Now.

Even though I haven't seen or read, I completely understand why this would bother you. I'd want Martin to write at the same pace that produced the previous novels. I also get HBO wanting to get another season out. I'm assuming season 5 was as good as seasons 1-4, in which case I'm not sure its such a huge issue. Do you have a preference for finding out the story in the novel or the series? Does it matter to you? I'm thinking you prefer novel first, but I wasn't sure.

M.Ehrmantraut
06-05-2015, 05:44 PM
I've never seen the show or read any of the novels, though I'm pretty sure I would enjoy both. I don't have HBO. I plan on getting HBO Now, but I so much to watch already I thought I would get through what's waiting for me first. Game of Thrones is one of the reasons I want to get HBO Now.

Even though I haven't seen or read, I completely understand why this would bother you. I'd want Martin to write at the same pace that produced the previous novels. I also get HBO wanting to get another season out. I'm assuming season 5 was as good as seasons 1-4, in which case I'm not sure its such a huge issue. Do you have a preference for finding out the story in the novel or the series? Does it matter to you? I'm thinking you prefer novel first, but I wasn't sure.

I would much rather end the series by reading it, not that the show isn't good but you know how when you read you develop your own images of the characters and scenery in your mind? I just prefer it that way, I guess. I've always been a big fan of reading but have enjoyed watching the HBO series - it was kind of bittersweet when the show started and so many jumped on-board, I'd rather see the final book released and then have the show follow and just don't like the idea of Martin rushing his work - hell, I've gotten used to waiting 5, 6 years between books hahaha

vangogh
06-15-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm the same way. I'd rather read than watch. Once you see the movie it's hard to see anyone else playing the role as you read the story.

I think it would have been hard for them to wait till the books were done before starting the series. Clearly HBO chose the right time to run the series given it's popularity. Had they started after the books were done, someone else might have beaten them with a similar story.

I'm with you though. I do like reading and I also like feeling like you know a secret the rest of the world doesn't.

M.Ehrmantraut
06-16-2015, 07:08 PM
You definitely hit the nail on the head on all points.

Someone just sent me this, some here might enjoy this - George RR Martin's open letter pertaining to all of the deaths in ASoIaF:

George R.R. Martin's Open Letter About the Deaths in Game of Thrones - Dorkly Post (http://www.dorkly.com/post/63864/george-rr-martins-open-letter-about-the-deaths-in-game-of-thrones)

vangogh
06-18-2015, 10:32 AM
I have to hold off reading that article for fear o spoilers. I do want to watch the series before too long. Just trying to catch up on things I already paid for first before paying for another service.