PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding my niche/target audience

Melonie Sweets
05-29-2015, 05:10 PM
More my small business, I am an entertainer (singer/dancer/model). I am having a hard time find my specific niche. All I know is I want them to like Anime, Japanese music and cosplaying.

Owen
05-29-2015, 11:52 PM
More my small business, I am an entertainer (singer/dancer/model). I am having a hard time find my specific niche. All I know is I want them to like Anime, Japanese music and cosplaying.

The anime and Japanese loving community lol. Usually the "nerdy" demographic would be into it along with the "scene" crowd.

SynersisMedia
05-30-2015, 01:07 PM

What have you tried so far? What didn't work about it?

My initial impression from your statement is your trying to be to much, to many. An entertainer isn't a niche itself. If you are going to be a model be a model, if your going to be a dancer by a dancer and if your going to be a singer be a singer. I have been to very few events with singing models.

ilik
06-03-2015, 02:32 AM
you know i guess your problem is that you search for a niche somewhere. don't search it. create it. my idea is that you should rent some space and build something like an anime cafe - anime society thing. it does not has to be on a first floor,commercial spaces are expensive you may rent simple apartment. where every saturday will be devoted to some specific anime. get a big printer, print anime's screenshots and hang it around, get some lovely lighting. and invite everyone for cosplay and just for communication. get an electronic piano it's not too expensive, contact people who likes animes and can play piano and let them play the soundtracks on these evenings. you can buy kinect camera and make realtime miku dance floor with music ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQREhd9iT38 ). in short build an anime atmosphere. make entrance 5$ that won't make anyone frustrated. and sell there something, drinks hot chocolate jelly in form of anime characters i don't know... cosplay costumes... i'm sure many single designers are trying to build costumes but they don't know where to sell it. review upcoming animes and so on. sometimes journalists pay some money for letting them to take your area of business. you can make little bit of money out of that too.many anime likers are loners they would like to gather around similar events to communicate to people with common interests. well i have painted things too easily... i did not count money for investment and organization that's where hardest part comes.it's called business organization you either have the skills or you don't....

Fulcrum
06-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Rather than beating your head trying to find that niche, how can the OP monetize anime, Japanese music and cosplay?

Andrea
06-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Hello Melonie,

I'm not into the Anime scene, but from what I've seen, it's one of those niches that is so broad, that what you're really looking for is probably a sub-niche.

Having a niche is fundamental, but not mandatory to start taking your first steps in the business. I would say it's rather a process of discovery.

So even if you can't find a niche right now, it will find you eventually. That however, will only happen if you take action.Even if you find out you went the wrong way, at least you'll know where not to go in the future.

Two things I would do, if I were you.

- Start looking for occasions where you can perform, whatever they are, whatever they pay. Build up experience and move from there.

- Get in touch with people in the industry, maybe those who are doing what you would like to do, NOT to ask for work, but to get advice (what is normally called networking).

Hope this helps.

HooktoWin
06-12-2015, 12:40 AM

Hi Melonie,

I saw your question and I thought I'd jump in. Here's a straight forward approach.

Step 1: You'll need to define the demographics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics) & psychographics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychographic) for your audience.

This varies for each business, and it depends on several factors, there may be more or less for you. Here's a few areas we tend to start with.

Age: Do people in a particular age range buy more than others?
Gender: Are men more interested in the specific type of product or service you'd like to offer?
Income: How much money does your audience need to make to afford your offer?
Ethnicity: Are people of a particular ethnicity or subgroup much more interested in your offer?
Marital status: Are singles more interested? Or are married couples with a shared interest more likely to focus on your offer?
Location(s): Are there certain cities, regions where people are more interested in what you're offering? (e.g. people in Seattle or Portland love vegan food)

Step 2: Confirm the demographics for the customer you're targeting.

This could be as simple as you going to a conference and surveying a few people or reaching out to people who comment on websites that target the customer interests you're looking for.
Once you know who you're looking for and what they look like you can move on to...

Step 3: Your target audience needs to meet (at least) two criteria.

A willingness to buy.
The ability to buy.

If the people you've listed in your demographic aren't able and willing to buy what you're selling you'll need to rework/repeat things in steps 1 - 3.
There are two basic ways to determine whether your target audience is actually willing to give you money for your stuff.

Ask them. I personally avoid this method as people often make the mistake of telling you what they think you want to hear instead of the truth.
Presell your product. Once you've finished your other research (e.g. target profile interview, triggers, problems, etc.). You can put up a sales page or micro site to test customer interest. If you're able to get a small amount of orders from the target audience you selected in steps 1 through 3 (which could be as little as 3 to 4 orders depending on your industry), you'll have more confidence in moving forward with that target audience.

Caution: Most people stop at step 3 which usually turns into a disaster later on (e.g. target the wrong customer and they refuse to buy). Once you've completed step 3 there's more work to be done. I can go into that if you'd like. Let me know.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

mentrabi
06-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Lots of great advice so far especially from Hooktowin above.

You have already identified your specific skill set and your theme / niche in which your skill can be used.

The problem you're looking to solve for others my guess is a lack of entertainment.

If so, your target audience becomes those who are willing and able and have a need to pay for an entertainer with your skills.

Look for events and existing hang outs for those who would enjoy you entertainment (comic stores?). Tell them why and how your entertainment will provide value to their customer.

Good luck!