PDA

View Full Version : Mobile IT Support for Business/Residential possible?

shutupdan
05-28-2015, 05:34 PM
I've been looking into the world of MSP's and frankly every time I think about I start to become worried. I have ultimately decided that I would like to open an IT company that mostly deals with mobile computer repair and selective IT support. I live near a few large cities and I would be willing to either drive or send out my employees to really anywhere in the state(there would be a gas charge). We would also offer small website setup and design, and of course the basics like antivirus. I also plan to have a teaching service available, to show people how to use a specific device. So basically we will do everything that involves a computer or mobile computer device, and some networking stuff, like connecting devices, setting up firewalls and security, mostly basic things. I do have certification in Security+ and Cisco Networking associate. I'm considering the name "Emergency IT" with our main focus being speed to the onsite location. Under no circumstances will I ever open a computer repair shop, to me that is one of the lowest end "IT" jobs available.

vangogh
05-29-2015, 10:25 AM
I don't have any statistics to back me up on this, but I get the sense the market for residential IT support is shrinking. Our computers and other devices get easier to use and more and more people grew up using them and don't need the help. Also as prices come down it becomes a better decision for people to just buy new stuff than have someone come to the house and fix their old stuff.

I would think you could do better as an outsourced IT department for businesses or something serving the business market as opposed to a residential market.

Under no circumstances will I ever open a computer repair shop, to me that is one of the lowest end "IT" jobs available.

Working in a computer repair shop might be a low end IT job. Owning the repair shop isn't.

Harold Mansfield
05-29-2015, 11:38 AM
VG has it right. Businesses and people working in home offices should be your target market, not your average consumer.
You could also do residential work, but it's not going to sustain you for the reasons stated above.

However, in your residential approach you'll probably do well to target families and offer specific services that deal with security and "child proofing" devices for people with kids. Setting up web restrictions, networks, monitoring, and so on.

But overall, businesses are your market. Because they NEED their stuff to work. If they aren't tech savvy they can't go days with things being down. The average consumer can. It's not urgent if their computer isn't working because they'll just use their phone or tablet until their friends nephew can come over and take a look at it. A business won't trust a friends nephew on their work computers, they'll want to call someone like you.

MyITGuy
05-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Businesses is where the money is at, especially the recurring revenue if done right.

Residential consumers always have that friend/family member that they take their stuff to or will nickle/dime you to death because they don't value your time.

Would you rather bill a business $150/hour plus trip time/costs or work with a residential consumer for 2-3 hours on-site and bill less than $150 (No additional markup for trip charges)?