PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hammered By Rain

LogansWalk
05-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Last night was one of the worst storms I've seen in some time, I had been following the weather and knew we were going to get hit but had no idea it'd be as bad as it was. The water on my street has gone down quite a bit now but people not far from me are taking boats out to navigate through the neighborhood. Funny story from all of this, I woke this morning to find a car in my driveway. The driver was in it, turns out he had taken an alternate route home and hit the water on my street and his car stalled, he pushed it into my driveway and sat in there for 8 hours! I invited him in and gave him some food and drink, let him use my phone and he was able to finally drive off at 10. We haven't had anything this bad since Alison in 2001 and my heart goes out to those who lost vehicles and had severe damage to their homes, etc.

Houston 'hammered' by torrential rains, flooding - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/26/us/severe-weather/)

Memorial Day Rain Turns Houston into Water World | Houston Press (http://www.houstonpress.com/news/heavy-rains-turn-houston-into-water-world-7462988)

vangogh
05-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Crazy. We had flash flooding from rain storms about a year and a half ago and I know the area still hasn't recovered fully. We've had a lot of rain the last 5 or 6 weeks and for awhile people were worried we'd see flooding again. Fortunately the worst storm moved off before it caused too much damage.

I definitely feel for the people in Texas affected by this. I was fortunate when it happened here, but I know plenty of people who weren't. I'll keep the people of Texas in my thoughts.

Owen
05-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Here in Maine it hasn't rained too much, but starting this week it's going to pour for the next week :(

M.Ehrmantraut
05-26-2015, 11:53 PM
We got hit pretty hard over here last night, luckily the water didn't come up into the house but I was greeted with about 4 inches of water when I opened my car's door this morning.

I feel for the people in Wimberley, one guy on the news today was being interviewed about the flooding in Houston and he said his relatives were the family missing in the vacation home that was washed-away Sunday. Just recently I had been talking with a friend of mine that owns a roofing company and we were saying how we are due a storm this summer, had no idea we'd get ones like this.

Residents and officials faced an unprecedented wall of water during flash floods that crushed homes and swept away families over the weekend in Central Texas.

Rescue crews on Tuesday continued searching the length of the Blanco River for 13 people who remained missing, including a family of eight vacationing in a single home washed away, authorities said. There have been two confirmed deaths.

A record surge 44 feet high sped down the Blanco River late Sunday, demolishing homes and businesses, Hays County Commissioner Will Conley said. The previous record on the river was 32 feet, recorded in 1926.

"It was literally a large wall of water that came down the Blanco River and destroyed everything in its path," he said.

San Marcos city spokeswoman Kristi Wyatt said Tuesday afternoon that 30 people who were listed as missing had been accounted for in Hays County, about 35 miles southwest of Austin.

Official: 'Wall of water destroyed everything in its path' (http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/05/26/extreme-weather-texas-oklahoma/27945961/)

vangogh
05-27-2015, 10:44 AM
The video showing Houston reminds me a lot of what it was like here. I don't think the flooding was as widespread here. I don't recall problems in Denver. The major damage was further north. I feel for everyone there. I don't think floods come across as devastating as they are when you're watching on TV.

M.Ehrmantraut
05-27-2015, 11:56 AM
It had been raining lightly all morning and just stopped... Talked with some friends and a lot of snakes have come out due to the flooding. People have been bringing their small boats, rafts, innertubes out and not thinking about what is really in that water...with that said, reading this news made me cringe:

9:07 a.m. CDT

More than 100,000 gallons of untreated wastewater has spilled after a wastewater treatment plant in Houston flooded.

Houston's Department of Public Works and Engineering said in a news release that the Southwest Wastewater Treatment Plant flooded Tuesday when a bayou overflowed its banks during extensive rains, damaging the plant's electrical and mechanical systems.

The department says the spill has been contained and they've increased monitoring of the water supply systems. The department says cleanup will start once the flooding subsides.

The department says people should not swim in affected areas. It also says people are not required to boil their water, but may wish to do so.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has been notified of the spill.

Latest on Flooding: New Storms Hit Flood-Weary Houston - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-weather-texas-officials-defend-storm-response-31328041)

Harold Mansfield
05-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Where I live, we'd kill for just a small percentage of that kind of rain.

Freelancier
05-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Where I live, we'd kill for just a small percentage of that kind of rain.Where they live, they usually think the same thing.

Owen
05-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Duplicate delete post

Owen
05-27-2015, 10:35 PM
The thing I find hilarious is in Texas when you guys get a centimeter of snow you're canceling everything and there's panic but here in Maine we get 5 feet of snow an it's "get over it" or "oh looks like springs comin' eh?"

Harold Mansfield
05-28-2015, 09:45 AM
The thing I find hilarious is in Texas when you guys get a centimeter of snow you're canceling everything and there's panic but here in Maine we get 5 feet of snow an it's "get over it" or "oh looks like springs comin' eh?"

We had a few inches a couple of years ago. It fell all on one day and it was pretty thick..like a Michigan snow fall. Took people hours to get home during the worst of it which was rush hour.

We too cancelled everything the next day because we don't have any equipment. We don't have plows and street crews. No ice salt sitting in warehouses. No one has snow blowers, shovels, or windshield scrapers. Most of us don't have winter boots, coats. Our cars, trucks and school buses don't have snow tires on them. We have nothing. People were sweeping the snow off of their cars and walkways with common household floor brooms.

We had to wait for the sun to do it's work, which was the next day, everything melted in one day and we got back to normal.

So I fully understand how a few inches can cripple a city that doesn't normally get snow.

LogansWalk
05-28-2015, 12:22 PM

Hell, it doesn't even have to snow, just let it freeze and get some ice on the streets and it's all over here! Time to shut the city down!

billbenson
05-28-2015, 03:52 PM

Ya, this is a little ridiculous. Cities and states are prepared for normal events, not something that happens every 10 years.

Fulcrum
05-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Hell, it doesn't even have to snow, just let it freeze and get some ice on the streets and it's all over here! Time to shut the city down!

Even in areas that see lots of snow, this is still a frightening endeavor.