PDA

View Full Version : advertising in action

rezzy
05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
There have been a few times, when I was out giving a presentation on how to do programming or one time I was meeting with a friend and a passer got interested and became a client.

Does anyone have stories of things that werent intentionally marketing but got you a few customers?

vangogh
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Depends on what you mean by doing something that isn't intentionally marketing. For example one of my biggest clients at the moment came through someone who had been reading my blog for awhile. Was that directly marketing? Depends on who you ask.

Most of my clients find me through things that would be considered indirect marketing rather than direct marketing. Clients find me through this forum, through various social media profiles, etc. I don't directly market on any of them, but they all are marketing to a degree.

I'd say your presentation is also indirect marketing. Anytime you're out there showing your skills you're marketing yourself.

rezzy
05-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Let me further explain the instance. I was meeting with a designer for some ideas at a public place. Some was sitting behind us got curious and started talking with us.

She ended up being a client.

vangogh
05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
First that's very cool and yes it's different than I was thinking you meant. Can't say that's every happened to me. I have had casual conversations that turned into light leads, but nothing ever came of them.

I guess it shows that you never know where your next client is going to come from and that you should always be conscious of what you do in public.

rezzy
05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Thats true. It makes me want to program/ make sites in public places. Lurking eyes might see me in action. I really need business cards. :(

vangogh
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Maybe you should spend more time working in coffee shops.

Vivid Color Zack
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I've had the same thing happen when eating lunch with my partner. Conversation between us is often work related and a few times we've actually had people say "Hey, we need to print some brochures, can I get a card?" or something of the like.

Always Always Always have your card with you, you never know when you'll need to give it to someone. Also you never know when you'll want to win a free lunch :)

rezzy
05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Always Always Always have your card with you, you never know when you'll need to give it to someone.

First things first, I need to design and get them printed! Which were the idea of the marketplace came from, I wanted to compare the people on the forums and help support the people I talk to everyday, instead of going to a big box printer.

KristineS
05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
First of all, that's very cool Rezzy. It is a good reminder that you never know from where work may come.

It also points out the value of being out there and visible. The more contacts you make, the more possibilities you have.