PDA

View Full Version : What the heck... Fiverr

krymson
05-15-2015, 03:32 PM
https://www.fiverr.com/categories/graphics-design/web-plus-mobile-design/#layout=auto&page=1

How is this profitable for the seller?

Harold Mansfield
05-15-2015, 03:41 PM
https://www.fiverr.com/categories/graphics-design/web-plus-mobile-design/#layout=auto&page=1

How is this profitable for the seller?

All they're doing is installing the same template over and over again. I've worked on sites where the client started on Fiverr or similar sites, and then came to me... and all they did was plop down a free template and toss about 40 words on the page...in broken English.

And most are in countries where $5 USD is 300 Rupees or whatever. And there's a lot of up-selling.

And they buy fake reviews for their profiles. I mean think about it. Look at some of them...600 positive 5 star reviews and nothing else? Not one negative experience or even a 4 star? The Pope ain't that popular in Vatican City.

But still, you're right. Its ridiculous and it gives some people who don't know any better a warped sense of reality and value.

RR151
05-16-2015, 02:03 AM
I have never done website development on Fiverr but have done a ton of work in the logo development, caricature, voice over and PDF form development. One thing that is important here is that not all work is done for 5 bucks.

Fiverr is a good entry level for many different kinds of clients. If the client wants to spend 5 bucks and get a free template then so be it. Don't make the mistake of comparing your service with that of Fiverr that is not the way to look at it.

How do you guys look at WIX? A Fiverr guy will build a WIX website for $45.00 not $5.00. I think WIX is more of a threat than Fiverr in the template world.

I don't know your business but maybe leverage their talents and become the middle man to help out the low level website development. Do this as a starting point with the new client that has a very low budget. You are charged at $10.00 and pay $5.00 to the Fiverr seller. Then explain we could do better with a bit bigger budget.

Example My Guy: Logo development can be done for 5 bucks and done within 24 hours in PNG format. In most cases with proper explanation it can be done with quality and with unlimited revisions. If you want the vector files it is an additional 10 bucks. $15.00 bucks is sold for 40 to 50 and is original artwork.

Just a thought, RR

Harold Mansfield
05-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Fiverr is a good entry level for many different kinds of clients. If the client wants to spend 5 bucks and get a free template then so be it. Don't make the mistake of comparing your service with that of Fiverr that is not the way to look at it.
I'm pretty sure no one does that.

How do you guys look at WIX? A Fiverr guy will build a WIX website for $45.00 not $5.00. I think WIX is more of a threat than Fiverr in the template world.
Not really. I don't see any of them as a threat because they don't attract my target market.

I don't know your business but maybe leverage their talents and become the middle man to help out the low level website development. Do this as a starting point with the new client that has a very low budget. You are charged at $10.00 and pay $5.00 to the Fiverr seller. Then explain we could do better with a bit bigger budget.

I supposed that could work for some people. Not me. More trouble than it's worth. I stopped trying to sell to people a long time ago, or I should say I stopped explaining. I definitely sell, but I target people who know what they want or need already.

Example My Guy: Logo development can be done for 5 bucks and done within 24 hours in PNG format. In most cases with proper explanation it can be done with quality and with unlimited revisions. If you want the vector files it is an additional 10 bucks. $15.00 bucks is sold for 40 to 50 and is original artwork.

That's kind of how I thought it worked. Nothing wrong with that. There's definitely a need and a market for places like Fiverr, I've used a similar site myself for some things. But I don't see them as any kind of competition. All web development and all budgets and needs aren't the same. There's room for every kind of business. The market will sort out who stays or not.

My only issue really has nothing to do with Fiverr, it's with people who scan the web and see $5 web work and then start making a bunch of assumptions about how it's all the same and what reality is when paying for people's expertise and time. It's frustrating hearing it on the other side of the phone before you get rid of them.

I also know they are in for a rude awakening. Sometimes they even call back once they're learned a few things and have seen the real world.

RR151
05-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Harold,

I hear you Harold, they have the 5 buck syndrome and they also think that HostGator at $3.95 a month is a good hosting solution for their business website. It's makes it tough to Price Condition them to the true costs of quality work.

RR

Freelancier
05-16-2015, 12:20 PM
It's makes it tough to Price Condition them to the true costs of quality work.
Not at all. You let those customers spend their $100 and 4-6 months screwing around and then when they realize they aren't getting anything close to what they needed, they come back to you and let you do it and are happy to pay your rate. My best customers are the ones who had bad experiences with their previous vendors.

RR151
05-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Not at all. You let those customers spend their $100 and 4-6 months screwing around and then when they realize they aren't getting anything close to what they needed, they come back to you and let you do it and are happy to pay your rate. My best customers are the ones who had bad experiences with their previous vendors.

So then Fiverr is a good thing, right? Humm...Never though of Fiverr as a price conditioning tool. Interesting thought process...RR

Freelancier
05-16-2015, 12:55 PM
So then Fiverr is a good thing, right?Good for whom? It's just a platform for connecting cheap clients with inexpensive service providers. If both sides come away happy with their transaction on there, I don't have a problem with that and I don't see that as taking anything away from my business. On the other hand, if the client turns out to realize that they're being cheap and it's costing them time and wasting their money, then that's suddenly a potentially good thing for my business, because it creates a new potential customer.

RR151
05-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Good for whom? It's just a platform for connecting cheap clients with inexpensive service providers.

Cheap clients? I guess that's me then because I am always on the lookout for talented people that want to create quality products as they hone their craft. Many of the people on Fiverr are people with many years experience that use Fiverr as a platform and charge more than 5 bucks.

Example: Tom and his 13 year old daughter Sara are a voice over talent that charges 5 buck per 165 words or .03 cents per word. They are from the US and do excellent work. My last purchase was $200.00 to voice over one of my reports. Fiverr has given Sarah an opportunity to work with here Dad and learn from Tom's 15 years of experience.

On the other hand, if the client turns out to realize that they're being cheap and it's costing them time and wasting their money, then that's suddenly a potentially good thing for my business, because it creates a new potential customer.

If that is a waste of time and money then so be it...It cost just 5 bucks to find a diamond in the rough like Tom and Sarah...RR

Owen
05-17-2015, 09:16 PM
I've used Fiverr once and that was to vectorize my logo. I had a lot of work to do at the time and didn't have much money, and someone was offering it for $5. I mean it's $5, if I get ripped off I'm not too worried about it. He was great to work with really, and he provided me the Adobe After Effects template file and the PNG and JPG image files.

RR151
05-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Harold,

Offering advice and adding resources is what this forum is all about, right?

Most of the small businesses in the forum can't afford much money to launch their dream business. I think Fiverr is a valid option for those that don't have the money to pay for website services in the beginning. Do you think it is possible to offer a PDF Rolodex of quality Fiverr Gigs here in this post?

If anyone else has had success or failure with Fiverr please post your story here.

Some inspiration from Henry Ford, I thought these words were perfect for this Forum...

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success. Henry Ford

Just a thought, RR