PDA

View Full Version : Great business idea, need help on how to make it happen

mmc2409
05-12-2015, 09:38 PM
I've got an idea for a business providing a service for the company I work for. I can't open the business in my name or immediate families due potential conflict of interest. How do I make this happen where I'm in charge of business and majority owner but not who they deal with.

Fulcrum
05-12-2015, 10:02 PM
In what way would your proposed business be a conflict with your current employer? You're providing a service for them not competing with them.

mmc2409
05-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Basically they just state it as a conflict. They have policy not to do any business with a current employee. I actually work in the dept where the service is needed and there afraid I may take action to benefit my outside business.

Freelancier
05-13-2015, 07:10 AM
They would be correct on this. If you're an employee and a vendor, which is going to be more important? The answer will eventually be whichever one is paying you best and that's not a situation they want to get into with their employees.

So... unless you can negotiate an agreement to provide the service and then quit as an employee, your best bet is to research other companies that do this service and bring them in to do the work that's needed.

Owen
05-13-2015, 08:44 PM
I've got an idea for a business providing a service for the company I work for. I can't open the business in my name or immediate families due potential conflict of interest. How do I make this happen where I'm in charge of business and majority owner but not who they deal with.

You could register the company as an LLC and file for a tax ID so you're not using your name nor SSN...

Harold Mansfield
05-14-2015, 12:05 PM
You could start the side company on your own time and get everything in place and your business set up, and then quit your job to start and grow your company.
That's pretty much how most of us started our business.

I don't see how you're going to be able to have the best of both world's. Both keep your job/safety net and start a business and avoid the conflict of interest. I don't think hiding it from your employer while still trying to get a contract from them is going to work without some kind of agreement from them.

Another options is, maybe see if you can talk them into solving their own problem and letting you run the new division.

krymson
05-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Another options is, maybe see if you can talk them into solving their own problem and letting you run the new division.

This would probably be in your best interest if you're wanting to stay with the company. They will view you as a problem solver and an innovator and maybe give you a pay raise. Otherwise, negotiating a contract with the terms of you quitting your job would be your other option.