PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Writing My Copy

webdesigngeek
05-06-2015, 06:39 PM
I am looking for advice on how to write copy geared toward small business owners. I am starting a company that does web design for local businesses. What are some things that you like to hear in copy? What are some things that you run from?

Thanks,
Kaloeb

Dan Furman
05-07-2015, 04:07 PM
There really is no set thing. Basically, you have to get into the mind of your target client and make them say "yes, this is what I was looking for" when they come to your site / read your brochure, etc. Make it about them and their needs, not you.

I can tell you right away that if you want to do this for local businesses, make that an angle. You're for businesses that want to see their web designer in person. There is a market for that.

Your writing also has to be interesting and engaging - people must want to read it, and keep reading. This is a big deal that many people miss. This isn't a school project - nobody has to read it - they must want to.

Hope the above helps.

David Hunter
05-09-2015, 12:36 PM
I am looking for advice on how to write copy geared toward small business owners. I am starting a company that does web design for local businesses. What are some things that you like to hear in copy? What are some things that you run from?

What copywriting books have you read so far??

vangogh
05-10-2015, 10:34 AM
I was thinking along the same lines as Dan. There are guidelines you can apply to all of your copywriting, but there's not one way to write copy that will sell to your potential customers. Your first step is to understand who your potential customers are so you can target copy to them.

I'd also advise reading at least one book about copywriting and find some sites online that talk about it regularly. You aren't going to write great copy just because you have a few tips. I fully believe you can learn how to write better copy, but it will take serious effort and time on your part to improve it. If you aren't willing to put in the time or effort, then I would suggest hiring someone to write the copy for you.

BenNeedham
07-09-2015, 07:30 AM
To be honest, the copy is directly affected by where you're going to use it. For example blogs, web copy, email marketing, social media and sales copy can all be considered as valid pieces of writing and are all very different beasts.

My advice is to begin with getting your message straight in your mind. After this you can start thinking about the platform you are using to convey your message. Blogs, for example, can be a little more playful, perhaps open with a joke and let it flow from there.

Whatever you have written, absolutely, 100% read it from top to bottom, multiple times. Imagine that you are your target audience... would you keep reading?

Ted Perrotti
07-20-2015, 07:29 PM
I agree with Dan. You have to get into the head of the client and give their needs/concerns as much attention on your site as you do your company's abilities. It's all about showing how your company is the best to meet their needs. Perhaps joining a Meetup group or other in-person gathering of local small business owners might help you to judge just what those needs are?

Paul
07-20-2015, 10:27 PM
For whatever this may be worth; as a non-web savvy client I want to believe that the designer has some understanding of the specific business. I'd pitch your "experience" working with different types of business, rather than the techy side. I'd sell what the web site can do for the business, not what you can do for the website. Just my opinion of course.

Hollie Rolla
07-21-2015, 05:25 AM
I think everyone is thinking along the same lines here. I think the most important thing when it comes to writing effective copy, is to maintain consistency through all of your online channels. For example, if you are a wedding planner and your ideal clients are conservative, reserved, wealthy couples, over the age of 40, its important to speak to them in the language that would appeal to them. Not only on your website, but your social media channels need to convey the same message. Your website copy should always express how you relate to them and understand them, understand their frustrations, and positioning your services as the solution- how can you make their lives easier? and why should they hire you and not anyone else? this is why niche research is so important and really, really getting to understand your ideal client, the way they think, the questions they are asking, their needs etc is key! hope that helps :)

tallen
07-21-2015, 07:53 AM
I'd pitch your "experience" working with different types of business, rather than the techy side. I'd sell what the web site can do for the business, not what you can do for the website.

I think you need both (not necessarily on the same page, though). Yes, pitch what the web site can do for the business (definitely), but there will also be some savvy prospective clients out there who will want to know what you can do for the website as well.

cbscreative
07-21-2015, 10:46 AM
You have some excellent guidelines above, so much so that I can only think of one thing to add right now.

After you have applied all the advice here, get yourself into an objective mode as best you can. By objective I mean you need to detach yourself and pretend you are the prospective client. Now from that state of mind ask yourself one simple question: Why should I care?

Does your copy compel the reader to care? If it passes that test, you've done well.

RareRusticCrafts
08-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Hi Kaloeb,

I've actually been doing a lot of research on writing copy myself, as I find its a major gap in my marketing materials. I own a small handmade bath and body business near Buffalo, and I don't have any employees yet, so I'm stuck with all the copywriting. I get a regular e-blast from 2 ladies at The Copy Cure, and I've been able to pick up some pretty useful tips from them. I've also been watching a lot of tutorials by Aaron Wrixon of the Copy Trap. Here's some of the tips I've picked up:

From the Copy Cure:
Write it Rude - "Just Do It" "Got Milk?" are a couple examples the Copy Cure uses to drive this one home. If you're working on headlines or slogans, write it rude first. It's concise, straight to the point and memorable.

Make Copy Scannable (this is a big one!) - Break your copy up into small sections with clear headlines and sub-headlines. Bold text or use bullet points. People don't read text on the web anymore, they scan it as fast as they can, and they only read copy if they are absolutely drawn in. Only about 20% of people who visit your website will make it past the headline (that's from Aaron Wrixon).

Write like you talk - Write what you want to say without giving it much thought, then go back through and edit. Sometimes the most compelling bits are the most natural, conversational bits.

Be natural & real - write something that a person would say in conversation or think - She suggests listening in on other peoples conversations to hear the way they talk to each other. One exercise I tried was to browse my competitors websites and stores and jot down the thoughts that came into my head. i.e. "Wow, that packaging is beautiful" "Ugh, I'm not reading all of that." This has proved to be a very helpful exercise.

Write it as graffiti - This is a lot like the Write it Rude suggestion but with more slang.

Tell people what they want to hear - Identify the target market and what they are looking for. In your case, if your target market is small businesses, they aren't really looking for a website (that's what you're selling them), they're looking for more customers, and your website building skills are the solution. Try to simplify it and see it from your target's point of view to be the most effective.

I encourage you to check out The Copy Cure and Aaron Wrixon; they have both helped me out so much! Hope this helps you!

Savannah R. Griffith
Owner
Rare Rustic Crafts
Rare Rustic Crafts (http://www.RareRusticCrafts.com)

Sajun Becker
10-13-2015, 09:44 PM
You've gotten a lot of excellent advice here.

As a professional copywriter, here's my piece: read the classic works of copywriters like Dan Kennedy and copy it out long-hand.

Rinse and repeat.

Trust me, this will get you far.

Ola Rybacka
12-28-2015, 06:44 AM
I think the most important thing in copywriting is good quality, because if someone know that you're doing great job, they will tell show it to someone else and promote your work.

marketingwriter
05-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Lots of solid advice. Here's a formula that will help you write copy that "connects" with your prospect - especially if you are just starting out.

1. Use a headline to attract the reader's attention. Must give the reader a reason to investigate further. Heavy up on main benefit you deliver.

2. Display empathy. First few paragraphs should have the reader nodding his/her head. eg. "hmmm...that's exactly how I feel....this person "get's me." You almost want reader thinking that you're a mind reader. How do you know what to write for this part? That's where having a clear understanding of your ideal prospect's problem and how you can solve it come in.

3. Continue to demonstrate you understand the prospect's problem...

4. THEN you ride in on the white horse and show how you can solve it. You want to establish some credibility here. Social proof in the form of testimonials is important.

5. Finish with a strong call-to-action..Unless you're in a direct sales business eg. selling ebooks, lower-priced items, don't try to make an "actual" sale here. Too early. Instead, "sell" them on taking the next step in your selling process. Maybe a free report. A free course. Free consult. In exchange, ask for the reader's email address so you can continue the relationship going forward. Hope that helps.

G

TheConnector
05-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Hi Kaloeb,

I agree with all of the great advice you have been given. My recommendation is also a classic book called, "The Adweek Copywriting Handbook," by Joseph Sugarman. It's a great read full of original ideas that resonate with the human spirit.

Ultimately, what comes through regardless of the format is your intention and reason for writing the copy. Good luck and I wish you much success!

journalist55
03-21-2022, 10:52 AM
I think it all depends, just make sure that your content grabs your audience's attention and highlights your company's strong points and services. I think what is most important is to keep it short and simple.