PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts About Business Models

vangogh
05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Seth Godin has an interesting post, Thinking About Business Models (http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2009/05/thinking-about-business-models.html) that I thought might generate some good discussion here. I think all too often businesses, especially online, neglect to really consider the underlying business model behind their site.

Seth defines 4 elements of a business model:

1. What compelling reason exists for people to give you money? (or votes or donations)

2. How do you acquire what you're selling for less than it costs to sell it?

3. What structural insulation do you have from relentless commoditization and a price war?

4. How will strangers find out about the business and decide to become customers?

I think there's a 5th, which probably falls between #2 and #3 above that would relate to distribution of your offering. It's possible Seth means to include distribution in #2 though.

Seth adds some thoughts about how business models evolved on the web. It's a short post, but an interesting one and I think a worthwhile read.

This idea particularly intrigues me, since it's something I've preached for a long time.

The idea of connecting people, of building tribes, of the natural monopoly provided by online communities means that the internet is the best friend of people focusing on the third element, insulation from competition. Once you build a network, it's extremely difficult for someone else to disrupt it.

Online so much focus seems to be on how much traffic you can get when it really should be on finding a smaller group of people who truly want your offering and will be loyal to you. It's what Seth calls tribes and it makes a lot of sense.

How big your tribe needs to be depends on your offering and how much profit a sale means for your business. In my own business I can easily make a good living with about 20-25 good clients. Most service based business are the same. You don't need to reach millions of people. A few thousand targeted people and you can build a pretty good business. There's a big difference in how you market your business if you need to reach thousands instead of millions.

What do think about business models in general? Do you agree with the 4 elements Seth mentions? Are there more? Most of use here have sound business models, but have you really looked at yours? Can you answer the 4 questions above in a way that proves the soundness of your business model?

Patrysha
05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
The drive for traffic without taking into account what you offer to that traffic is common amongst both online and offline business owners.

It's so hard to meet up with business owners who have been in operation for five years or sometimes more that still believe that my product/store is for everyone.

In general, I find business owners who operate online or who have a presence online and are even making a little bit of money are miles ahead in their marketing knowledge than those offline.

Yes, I agree with Seth that these four elements are part of the foundation, but I believe there should be something about adding value to your offering so you can be perceived as elite in your field in the marketplace. Perhaps something along the lines of "What differentiates you in the marketplace and keeps you from becoming or dealing in a commodity?"

I am constantly looking at my foundations and seeing what can be tweaked and what is no longer working based on the clients and prospects I talk to and serve so that I can deliver what they want in the way they want it.

And yeah, I could answer those four questions :-)

vangogh
05-06-2009, 12:05 PM
In general, I find business owners who operate online or who have a presence online and are even making a little bit of money are miles ahead in their marketing knowledge than those offline.

That's interesting. I'm not sure I would have thought that. I would expect them to be more savvy when it comes to online marketing, but I wouldn't expect that about marketing in general.

The drive for traffic without taking into account what you offer to that traffic is common amongst both online and offline business owners.

Especially true online. I think people are under the impression that all you need to make money is traffic. And that once you have traffic you can do most anything to make money. Traffic is certainly good. If you have a lot you clearly increase the odds that someone will buy something.

But look at sites like Facebook and Twitter that have huge traffic numbers and yet still haven't figured out how to monetize. And lets face it most of us aren't ever going to reach their level of traffic.

I think people skip the business model part sometimes. They just dive in and assume their model is sound without thinking about it or figure the business model will find them when the time is right.

I'm always trying to start with the business model or at least understand how something I do fits within my current business model.