PDA

View Full Version : Best small business computer for under $1000

JC
05-05-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm looking for a computer, preferably a laptop that's reliable with enough memory to support a small landscape/remodeling business with 2-5 employees. Any suggestions?

Harold Mansfield
05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
I'm looking for a computer, preferably a laptop that's reliable with enough memory to support a small landscape/remodeling business with 2-5 employees. Any suggestions?

Do you have any more wants or needs? Windows 8? Windows 7? Mac? Touchscreen? Hard Drive size? RAM? Screensize? Do you plan on taking on the road, or just using it in the office? Is it just for work? Will multiple people be using it? Do you need a disc drive? Bluetooth?

There's a ton of laptops out there for under $1000. Can you help us with a little more on what you want or have seen that you like?

JC
05-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Do you have any more wants or needs? Windows 8? Windows 7? Mac? Touchscreen? Hard Drive size? RAM? Screensize? Do you plan on taking on the road, or just using it in the office? Is it just for work? Will multiple people be using it? Do you need a disc drive? Bluetooth?

There's a ton of laptops out there for under $1000. Can you help us with a little more on what you want or have seen that you like?

Sure, I would be the only one using it, I would assume Windows 8, I've heard Mac's are very reliable but not sure, no need for a touchscreen, enough memory for a couple of design programs, payroll, MS Office (I would probably have to figure that out...but basically a lot), would like to take it on the road as I don't have a ton of money for multiple computers, I would like a disc drive but don't need Bluetooth. Thanks Harold!

Harold Mansfield
05-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Sure, I would be the only one using it, I would assume Windows 8, I've heard Mac's are very reliable but not sure, no need for a touchscreen, enough memory for a couple of design programs, payroll, MS Office (I would probably have to figure that out...but basically a lot), would like to take it on the road as I don't have a ton of money for multiple computers, I would like a disc drive but don't need Bluetooth. Thanks Harold!

Good stuff. You can get some good deals on non-touch screen computers that have more RAM and Memory.
Windows 8.1 is where we are now and it will up upgradable to Windows 10 for free if you want to when it comes out.

If you're taking it mobile frequently, 15.6" screen is probably plenty big enough for both desk work and lugging it around in a bag and setting up wherever.
17" starts getting too big, heavy and cumbersome to pull out all day. Plus battery life.

You can always buy an additional battery for whatever you have. Very few laptops last all day of heavy use without a charge.

Macs are fine machines, but you probably can't get a new one in that price range and new Mac books don't have disc drives.

I've always done well with HP's (first choice), Acers and ASUS.

I have a Toshiba that I love, but I had a few problems with it out of the box. I got it cheap because it was discontinued and since I've purchased a couple of new batteries, upgraded the RAM to 16GB, and added a Solid State Drive and it runs great. But I've never had one before and I don't know if the initial problems were a fluke, or normal for the Satellite models.

You should be able to get at least 6G-8G RAM, 500GB Hard Drive (probably 1 TB) , with at least the latest Intel or AMD chip and it shouldn't cost you the full $1000. Not even close.

If you're running photoshop, get as much RAM and Chip speed (Processor) as you can. The latest version of MS office should run fine on anything Windows.

If you want to spend the whole $1k then you'll probably get the touch screen, Bluetooth and maybe even NFC anyway.
Bluetooth is easy enough to add with a dongle if needed.

You can also easily get an extended warranty and still not get close to your budget.

Here's an Amazon search (where I bought my last 2 laptops) with those parameters. If you stick with 6G RAM you could probably get 2 for $1k:
Amazon.com: laptops, 6G RAM, drive (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=laptops%2C+6G+RAM%2C+drive&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alaptops\c+6G+RAM\c+drive)

Read the specs and reviews. Be careful, a lot of new laptops are going for thin and don't have drives. The ones that do are also usually CD/DVD Burners.

I've personally been looking at this one:
Amazon.com : ASUS TP550LA Transformer Dual-Mode (Laptop or Tablet) Convertible Laptop (15.6-Inch HD Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Core i5-4210U up to 2.7GHz, 6G DDR3, 1T HDD, Super-Mini DVD Burner, Windows 8.1, Black Hairline-Textured Aluminum Finish) : (http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Convertible-Multi-Touch-Super-Mini-Hairline-Textured/dp/B00VU3VCAI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430869217&sr=8-4&keywords=laptops%2C+6G+RAM%2C+drive)

Hope that helps.

JC
05-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Good stuff. You can get some good deals on non-touch screen computers that have more RAM and Memory.
Windows 8.1 is where we are now and it will up upgradable to Windows 10 for free if you want to when it comes out.

If you're taking it mobile frequently, 15.6" screen is probably plenty big enough for both desk work and lugging it around in a bag and setting up wherever.
17" starts getting too big, heavy and cumbersome to pull out all day. Plus battery life.

You can always buy an additional battery for whatever you have. Very few laptops last all day of heavy use without a charge.

Macs are fine machines, but you probably can't get a new one in that price range and new Mac books don't have disc drives.

I've always done well with HP's (first choice), Acers and ASUS. T

I have a Toshiba that I love, but I had a few problems with it out of the box. I got it cheap because it was discontinued and since I've purchased a couple of new batteries, upgraded the RAM to 16GB, and added a Solid State Drive and it runs great. But I've never had one before and I don't know if the initial problems were a fluke, or normal for the Satellite models.

You should be able to get at least 6G-8G RAM, 500GB Hard Drive (probably 1 TB) , with at least the latest Intel or AMD chip and it shouldn't cost you the full $1000. Not even close.

If you're running photoshop, get as much RAM and Chip speed (Processor) as you can. The latest version of MS office should run fine on anything Windows.

I you want to spend the whole $1k then you'll probably get the touch screen, Bluetooth and maybe even NFC anyway.
Bluetooth is easy enough to add with a dongle if needed.

You can also easily get an extended warranty and still not get close to your budget.

Here's an Amazon search (where I bought my last 2 laptops) with those parameters. If you stick with 6G RAM you could probably get 2 for $1k:
Amazon.com: laptops, 6G RAM, drive (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=laptops%2C+6G+RAM%2C+drive&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alaptops\c+6G+RAM\c+drive)

Read the specs and reviews. Be careful, a lot of new laptops are going for thin and don't have drives. The ones that do are also usually CD/DVD Burners.

I've personally been looking at this one:
Amazon.com : ASUS TP550LA Transformer Dual-Mode (Laptop or Tablet) Convertible Laptop (15.6-Inch HD Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Core i5-4210U up to 2.7GHz, 6G DDR3, 1T HDD, Super-Mini DVD Burner, Windows 8.1, Black Hairline-Textured Aluminum Finish) : (http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Convertible-Multi-Touch-Super-Mini-Hairline-Textured/dp/B00VU3VCAI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430869217&sr=8-4&keywords=laptops%2C+6G+RAM%2C+drive)

Hope that helps.

Wow, thanks Harold!! This does help a lot!

CCAdamson
05-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Not my thread but have been looking for a new laptop as well. Good information here Harold. Thank you.

Brian Altenhofel
05-05-2015, 09:18 PM
If you want to save a bit more, look at factory refurbs from places like Newegg or TigerDirect. The warranty becomes 30 days instead of 1 year, but they can often be found for 40% or more off of the regular price. Find one that happens to also be a closeout model, and you can save more than 60%.

For example, in late 2012 I bought this (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G74SX-A1-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00542SUD8) for ~$700 as a refurb on closeout. Regular price was $1700, and last year they were still pulling over a grand used. A brand new ASUS with an i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 15.6" screen, 2GB dedicated video card, and 1TB HDD runs $950 with full warranty (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232122&cm_re=asus_15_rog-_-34-232-122-_-Product). By the way, if you're ever in a dimly lit area, you'll appreciate a backlit keyboard.

If you're taking it to job sites in a landscaping and remodeling setting, I wouldn't expect more than a couple of years out of one anyway.

millerguide
05-08-2015, 09:09 AM
I also have been in the market for a new laptop for my business. This is a great thread. Thanks all!

billbenson
05-08-2015, 01:22 PM
I'll just make one or two comments. Enough has been said above. Get at least 8 G of ram. 16 is better. And get a large HD.

Harold mentioned PhotoShop which is a memory hog. The other memory hog can be how you work. I keep a lot of programs open all of the time.That eats up memory. If you close out of programs when you aren't using them you don't need as much memory. Still I wouldn't go below 8 G of ram these days. Operating systems are requiring more and more. If you look at news programs or other sites that have ad's running all the time, close them out when you aren't looking at them. They can use up a lot of memory.

The ability to expand, add more Ram down the road etc is also important.

If your working out of your car, a larger monitor may be nice depending on what you are doing. If you are dragging into the client the smaller monitor size is probably better.

Harold Mansfield
05-08-2015, 02:17 PM
I'll just make one or two comments. Enough has been said above. Get at least 8 G of ram. 16 is better.
Totally agree. 8G is getting pretty common now and is still far below your budget.

The ability to expand, add more Ram down the road etc is also important.
It's HUGE! My Toshiba came with 6G RAM for $350. But it was upgradable to 16G RAM which was the entire reason I bought it. At that price it was a great deal. I ended up with 16G RAM for $500.

IMO, HD isn't as important as it used to be (for me) because I don't keep everything on my computer anymore. 500GB-1TB is pretty common now.
I have a small office server that everything is networked to including my mobile devices. Because of it I barely use 10% of my desktop's 1TB HD. Same with my laptops.

It's a best practice to have an easily accessible back up so that you don't lose everything in case of a failure, loss, or any kind of problem with your device.