PDA

View Full Version : If you are looking for website builder- stay away from Weebly.com

Sundance71
05-01-2015, 11:19 AM
I just had terrible experience with Weebly. I invested lot of time to create me a 7 page website, endless hours of developing, testing, redoing. When I got it ready and I really liked the outcome I had a problem cause some of a text was invisible with Firefox while it was ok with other browser. So I contacted the help desk... got it fixed...

In 2 hour time my site was deleted and my Weebly account terminated... No warning, no reason , no nothing. I sent them an e-mail asking what about the content that took me days to create? No answer to this date! Seriously... my website was not really ready yet, no payment module, no real domain I was planning to purchase....

It is just killing me how rude they can be. I do not know the reason. I did not advertise the site , was just developing it. It was sports related information and consulting....

Either way. Be aware. You do tons of hard work. Finally you develop the product you like....and they erase everything and throw you out with the one click. And no explanation ...Nothing. Buff you are gone....

That is not business, that's BS people. Do not go anywhere near these fools! You will get hurt!

There is nothing worse when you have nice website you have developed through hard work, business is growing, clients are approaching you and one morning you wake up and all that you have been working for is gone. No e-mail, no explaining , nothing!

Your account is terminated , you send and e-mail to ask and no one answers you! UNREAL! And the dullest thing is- I have no idea why. NO IDEA!

Harold Mansfield
05-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear that happened to you, but it's just another example of why you need to own your own stuff if you're serious about doing anything online.

LogansWalk
05-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Have you tried calling them to get an answer? Did a little checking and here's a number for them, not sure if that'll help but it's worth a shot

Phone: 415-375-3268

Ryan26
05-02-2015, 08:17 PM
I would suggest Wordpress + theme. You can make many things and Wordpress is really easy to use.

krymson
05-06-2015, 05:43 PM
I wrote an article on this subject a while back Web Designers vs. Web site Builders - Krymson Productions (http://www.krymsonproductions.com/web-designers-vs-web-site-builders/). This is the issue when dealing with WYSIWG sites such as Weebly, WIX, and the like. You don't own the code or the content. Something will work in some browsers and other things won't. You can't fix it, and you gotta deal with a customer service representative that knows jack about when design. When you're ready to own your digital assets reach out to one of us web developers or web consultants here on the form. We'll either help you make your vision a reality or point you in the right direction and refer you to someone who will do a good job and work with you. I'll promote myself here and say I'd be willing to help you with the whole package if you're willing to make that investment and I know Harold is really good as well and I'll give him his props and I'm sure he'd be willing to help as well.

I can promise you either one of us will give you a good experience and what we create is yours because you pay for it. Let one or both of us know and we can get you up and running.

fossfolks
05-30-2015, 08:29 PM
I agree that these weebly type sites can be a pain. I think you're best off in the beginning getting some cheap hosting (nosupportlinuxhosting.com is only a buck a month) that allows shell access and IMAP mail. When things are rolling, and you know it's worth doing, move to something better. A word of warning... NSLH does not provide backups either, but there's a tool on the admin panel of your account where you can grab a whole site backup. Wordpress is easy to maintain, with not much of a learning curve if you can find a pre-made template you like. Another upside to WP is that you can back up your site and database, then pretty much move them to whatever server you like.
I've no experience with Drupal or some of the other open source CMS (I can only recommend open source by the way -- they're the only type of app where you've got access to everything) apps, but I suspect they're similar. Little bit of learning curve, and off you go. Each one has a community to give you a hand when you're stuck too.