PDA

View Full Version : Blog Commenting - is it working for you?

bizcard
05-04-2009, 08:35 AM
I just want everyone's opinion about blog commenting. The fact that there are fewer blogs out there that are do follow and it takes some time before your post appears in the comment section, so is blog commenting a viable technique for online marketing? Is it working for you? What are your criteria in posting comments to a blog aside from it being do follow?

vangogh
05-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Do follow never enters into the equation for me. I think if you're looking specifically for do follow blogs you're missing the point of how commenting can be helpful. It's not about looking for a quick link. It's about building a relationship with the blogger in question and the audience of that blog.

For example a month or so ago I read a post on Performancing (http://performancing.com/) about forums. Since I have some experience with forums I left what I hoped was a useful comment for people. I used this forum's URL as the link around my name in the comment. Since then that comment has been one of the biggest sources of referral traffic back here. I could care less what value search engines see in the link.

You have to get past the idea that every link is only about search engines. Some will help where your site ranks true, but links can actually result in direct traffic through the link. Would you turn down a link from CNN if they told you it would be nofollowed?

Beyond the direct traffic is the relationship you can build with the blogger and audience. Business is about developing real relationships with real people. If you consistently leave useful, interesting, informative comments on a blog you like and follow that up with posts on your blog linking to that blog you stand a good chance of getting to know that other blogger who may then recommend you or link to you or many other things that can help your business.

See beyond the SEO benefits. SEO is just one aspect of marketing. It can be a great aspect, but far from the only one. See the larger marketing picture.

KristineS
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Commenting is a great way to build an audience and relationships. I never think about commenting in terms of getting links, I think about it in terms of building relationships. I'm looking to make connections with other bloggers and build a community. If that's your aim, commenting is a great tool.

Building relationships is also a great way to build traffic. Bloggers are a generous group (for the most part). They'll help each other out if there is at least a bit of a relationship there. Commenting is a great way to start that relationship, and become more than just a name on another blog.

vangogh
05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
As a blogger I can tell you I do notice when people comment on my posts and when they link to me. It's no guarantee I'll link back to them, but I usually will click through to their site and have a look around. Assuming the other site has content I think my audience will appreciate I'll usually find a way to work in links to that site in future posts.

rezzy
05-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I'll usually find a way to work in links to that site in future posts.
True. :)

This works on smallers blogs, but blogs that get hundreds of comments, its less important unless you are one of the first to respond.

I caught an early post and commented, I got several hits off it. Not sure how that really helped me, but I got a few hits off it.

vangogh
05-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Even with a popular blog that gets lots of comments you can still make an impression, though you're right that it will help to be an early commenter instead of number 95. I think it's better to see the indirect benefit instead of the direct benefit of traffic through the link or any SEO benefit. Don't get me wrong. Both are good, but your goal with a blog comment is simply to add something to the discussion around the blog post and ideally make a connection with the blogger or the audience around the blog.

elsoft
05-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Commenting on the blog just to show your website is not a good idea.Its a form of spamming.When a comment is dropped,it should be relevant and should mean something,it can atleast be a appreciation of blogger's efforts.For my blog,I treat each and every comment very big since I really donot publicise it and I feel good to know that people get to the site and leave their remarks.So,I would not suggest you to spoil a blogger's joy with spam unless you share something very relevant there.