PDA

View Full Version : CNN Online

billbenson
04-19-2015, 03:58 PM
I've used cnn online as my news source for some time. I'd leave it open and check it occasionally throughout the day.

Recently they have done some really annoying things. The first one was all of a sudden one of the ads would start to play audio. This happens when you are watching a news video as well so you can't understand the video you are watching. The ad audio walks over the video.

Most recently, the link you click on doesn't match the article or video the link forwards you to. I just got through clicking on a few links and most were unrelated to the headline.

I also want unbiased news.

Where does everyone here go for unbiased news online? Or as unbiased as you can get...

Freelancier
04-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Good luck getting "unbiased" news. The best you can hope for is that you're smart enough to spot the bias as it goes by and take the time to go figure out what wasn't being written or was being written in a way to make you infer something that might not be true. CNN is ok, but still hammers on the sensational for ratings during slow news days.

I use the local paper for local info, they suck at anything outside going on outside the state, usually late or incomplete. But then again, national/global news is not their model, so I can't expect them to provide that info.

As for what I do, I use my.yahoo.com and set up a page with RSS feeds from a number of sources and then scan that periodically to see what's going on. Still takes some effort to figure out which articles are just made-up junk, but at least I have enough redundancy to help figure out what's really happening.

billbenson
04-19-2015, 05:08 PM
For CNN I like Anderson Cooper. He seems to present both sides of the story. One day he will have some stories on the right, the next day on the left - if you are talking politics. But I don't want to dedicate an hour of my day to watching the news. That's why I want news online.

There is a local news channel that my ISP provides for that news. It's pretty good. Some national news as well. I try to take a break at 6pm to watch it but someone from the west coast or Hawaii always calls when I'm watching. Guess I should just record it on the TV that has a cable box in the other room. Don't have a box on my office TV/ Monitor. I do like using my 42 inch LED TV as a monitor BTW.

And I agree Yahoo seems to be the best option at this point. I was just hoping someone had some other options.

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2015, 05:56 PM
I read the Washington Post, NY Times, and watch Maddow on MSNBC. I also follow a few politics blogs on Facebook so when something comes across I usually skim through it and look for additional sources. I also watch the news hour on PBS every now and then. I rarely turn on CNN unless something big is happening. Can't really stand them for every day news.

I can't say I have one source of news that I trust as unbiased. I get info from a lot of different sources. One news show a day is not enough for me.

David Hunter
04-19-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm trying to stay away from the news.

They way I look at it, if it's important I'll hear about it from someone else.

Freelancier
04-19-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm trying to stay away from the news.I avoid local TV "news" like the plague. "If it bleeds it leads" is so true. Their whole model is to freak people out... and then report on the weather for tomorrow's rush hour.

M.Ehrmantraut
04-21-2015, 12:59 AM
I've used cnn online as my news source for some time. I'd leave it open and check it occasionally throughout the day.

Recently they have done some really annoying things. The first one was all of a sudden one of the ads would start to play audio. This happens when you are watching a news video as well so you can't understand the video you are watching. The ad audio walks over the video.

The audio ads - and amount of ads, in general - are ridiculous, most news sites are getting as bad as the click-bait sites posted on FB.

Harold Mansfield
04-21-2015, 10:25 AM
I was watching the CBS evening news on Sunday. About 10 minutes into the broadcast they did 2 minutes on a mass execution of Christians by ISIS, and then rolled right into 5 minutes on Aspirin. I was seriously dumb founded. Smiles and all, they just segued into the aspirin story like they were going from a cute lost dog piece.

I had to take a step back and shake my head to clear the cobwebs. I was like "Wait! What?"

It was the coldest, step-ford like transition I'd ever seen. Like it was nothing. "By the way there was a mass execution today and it's on video, now let's spend 5 minutes talking to this pharmaceutical industry person with some exiting news about aspirin".

I remember when the ABC, NBC, and CBS nightly news were trusted news sources. The only news sources beside the paper. Now they're just white washed cliff notes put together like a 30 minute sitcom.

billbenson
04-21-2015, 08:59 PM
I haven't watched network news in years. As hollwood is, they are biased to the left. I won't watch FOX either because they are way to the right. I want 'the facts mam, just the facts'.

I'm registered Republican because I'm a capitalist. That being said, it doesn't mean I won't vote for a democrat. The republican party is really screwed up.

I don't want to make this a political thread. But the same is true for all the news. Just gimee the facts. I can put my personal biases on them later.

Harold, I completely agree with you. The press is strictly going for the shock articles. Makes more money to show a guy getting his head lopped off than to tell the facts of the story. And the commercials that surround the story should be appropriate.