PDA

View Full Version : Single Page vs Traditional Multiple Pages

krymson
04-15-2015, 04:09 PM
One of the trends not is an "infinite scroll" single page, place all of your content here types of sites. I'm not a huge fan of it so far (I'm running a semi test of it on my personal site). I mean if you really think about it, it can't be great for SEO. Since I started it, my bounce rate is super high (SEO factor). It's hard to see what content is being viewed, and it's difficult to generate good SEO content multiple keywords (I'm sure it would be easier but I'm no content writer... content writing is the bane of my existence).

I just don't see having a single page website with all your content in one place being that great. What are your thoughts and concerns? Fill me in on what I'm missing from an SEO perspective if it is viable to have an infinite scroll site that's good for SEO.

Freelancier
04-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Your "bounce rate" is based on whether the user goes past the first page, so your bounce rate should be about 100% if that's your only page. Not so useful for google's algorithm if they're seeing high bounce rates from your site, right?

My thought is that if you don't have enough content to have more than one page, maybe you need to think more about what you want from a web site that will help your business grow.

krymson
04-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Yeah. I was just testing it out. Gathering data for a speaking event coming up, but I want to get other experiences and thoughts on the matter.

Harold Mansfield
04-15-2015, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't do it just because it's supposed to be good for SEO. Those tricks and strategies come and go quickly.
Your users should be your first concern. Build the site that you need to get the desired results. Whether that be a one page scroll or multipage site. Build the best tool for the job.

You can SEO a paper bag. Build for people and you'll get the results you are looking for.
I wouldn't care if Google ranked me ten zillion if my site did it's job and converted visitors into sales.

Gustav-Dam
04-16-2015, 11:17 AM
i also dislike single page designs, divide your content in proper categories and topics.
use keywords sets as theme for topics

Harold Mansfield
04-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Look at it this way, a 10 page website is 10 different opportunities to be found in Search Engines. A one page website is one opportunity to be found.

Given that reality, how can one page be better for SEO? Being that you can't keyword stuff a page with 10 different keywords, seems to me a one pager is putting all your eggs in one basket. Unless you also plan on an advertising campaign to bring people to the site, I don't see why it makes sense to convert to less opportunities.

Freelancier
04-16-2015, 11:50 AM
I think that by going to one page you also lose an opportunity to have a denser use of related keywords that you get with a single page. An unfocused page can't be good for search engine ranking.

Duston McGroarty
04-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Pinterest really started the whole Infinite Scroll trend. But if you really look at their site, and how it's designed, all of the "pins" actually are separate pages. That's why individual pins and collections of pins rank in the search engines.

In my opinion, Infinite Scroll should really just be used to display blog posts or pages on your site. So, when someone clicks, they're taken to that page. It really just keeps the user from having to click "Next Page" to display more posts or results.

A one-page site and Infinite Scroll are two different things. I see many agencies and freelancers using one-page sites where there isn't much content to be displayed.

Dan Furman
04-23-2015, 12:17 PM
I personally dislike those one-page sites. It seemed to be a big booming fad for a short while, but it's subsiding now. In most cases, they are terrible for business.

The reason is simple - one page sites skimp on content. Everything is really short and punchy, with no meat. The message seems to be an impatient "just buy it already". I get a slight feeling of distrust from them.

I like a site that gives me short / punchy info to start, and plenty to sink my teeth into if I wish to delve deeper. Give me the fairly standard banner / short paragraph / "3-4 side by side boxes underneath with the pertinent info/read more" any day. It's a proven winner that I don't see going away anytime soon.

Harold Mansfield
04-23-2015, 01:08 PM
The reason is simple - one page sites skimp on content. Everything is really short and punchy, with no meat. The message seems to be an impatient "just buy it already". I get a slight feeling of distrust from them.

I like a site that gives me short / punchy info to start, and plenty to sink my teeth into if I wish to delve deeper. Give me the fairly standard banner / short paragraph / "3-4 side by side boxes underneath with the pertinent info/read more" any day. It's a proven winner that I don't see going away anytime soon.

So happy to hear the opinion of a professional copywriter on this. I couldn't agree more. It's always a constant struggle with some clients between what they think is cool, and what I know works. OR what they think will please Google and what I know pleases customers.

Some layouts just work. Plain and simple. That's why you see variations of them all over the internet.

Goldnote
07-16-2015, 11:41 AM
1 page sites are horrible for SEO. Most site's created are not created to their full potential. There's more to a "pretty" $5000.00 site. Not only in SEO terms but conversions as well. An expensive site that looks pretty is no good if you can't get organic traffic and sales. All you'll be doing is writing a check every month continuously trying to Market/Advertise for more visits/sales.

The proper way to build a site is to know exactly how you're going to structure it and know all your "main" keywords before starting. A lot of sites have a few categories with a mess of unrelated topics within them. This is not only confusing to Search Engine spiders but visitors as well. Silo structuring is the best.

Harold Mansfield
07-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Single page websites have a place in overall web marketing especially as ad landing pages, and they can get found in search depending on your competition.
There's also Parallax websites which technically are single page, but can have the content of a multiple page website.

journalist55
03-02-2022, 10:46 AM
I agree with you, I think it is important to organize your site with different pages so that it is easier for your viewers to navigate and it makes it more visually appealing! Having to scroll for everything may lead to people leaving your site.