PDA

View Full Version : Profile contact

orion_joel
05-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Vangogh,

What is the potential or difficulty behind adding a twitter profile option into the IM contact area. Which would display along with the ICQ and other message links under your information on the left hand side.

vangogh
05-03-2009, 03:58 AM
I have no idea. How's that for honestly. I like the idea of adding a few social media profiles to the contact page. I look into it and see what I find. It may not be right away, but I just added it to the to do list for the forum.

Maybe with a little luck someone has already written the code and I just need to install it to vBulletin.

vangogh
05-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Looks like there might be some addons for vBulletin that will add social media stuff to your profile page. I downloaded one, but it's for an older version of vB and I'll have to figure out how to make it work for the version we're using. I may be upgrading vB to the newest version in the not too distant future too.

I'll definitely add something to allow us to add social media contacts, though it may take some time till I can work out which one on which version.

orion_joel
05-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks Vangogh, sounds good. Only really thought of it when i was browsing and realized i had the ICQ and MSN links to the left under my other details. And just thought while good there are probably more relevant ones people may like to include now.

vangogh
05-04-2009, 01:29 AM
It's a good suggestion. As soon as I read what you said I knew it was something I'd want to add. Give me a few weeks. I probably won't have a chance to really work on this right away, though I have already bookmarked a few addons.

The one I like most so far will allow us to have links for quite a few social media profiles. There are some that will actually display recent tweets in your profile too. That might be interesting.

KristineS
05-04-2009, 01:22 PM
One of the other forums I post on does allow you to add your Twitter profile. It's kind of nice to be able to see who is on Twitter. It would be a nice add on to have and if anyone can figure it out, it would be you, Steve.

vangogh
05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I'll get it worked out. It'll just be a matter of finding the time. There is an addon that was written for an older version of vBulletin that I think will work. The instructions though are based on some things no longer present so I have to work out where to make the changes.

Spider
05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
In the meantime, we can add it to our signature, like this ....

vangogh
05-04-2009, 06:13 PM
That certainly works as well and has the advantage of being seen on every page where you post instead of only on your profile page.