PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on using others website

phanio
05-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I came across a website that I reall like. I like the collor scheme and how the website functions. While this website and I do not offer the same products, would it be ok to copy what they are doing (i.e. how the site functions and color scheme)?

cbscreative
05-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Site functions, color scheme, even layout...yes. It might even be a template. One question I ask as standard procedure in designing a site is if there are other sites you like. The intent is not necessarily to copy another site, but to help determine what needs to be done to create the best site.

That doesn't mean I won't have ideas the client never thought about, but it does help guide the process. Besides, clients come in all "shapes and sizes" meaning some know a lot about what they need while others admit they know almost nothing and need help with every decision.

The important thing with your site is that it represents you, your company, and meets the needs of your customers and site visitors.

vangogh
05-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Depends how much you copy. Most artists will draw inspiration from the work of another. That happens in design too. It's common when designing a site to look at other sites and borrow ideas. There's a line though where it's outright copying and that's not right.

When I'm designing a site I may see another with a color scheme I like. I might grab that scheme and use it as a starting point in my own design, but I'll always look for ways to alter enough to make it my own. If I did borrow a color scheme as a starting point I wouldn't also borrow the same layout or typography, etc.

As far as functionality is concerned I think that's more of an open game. Part of what makes for a good business model is having something difficult to replicate. You can't just lift someone's code (though in some cases you probably could), but if you see company X offering something to their customers, I don't see any reason why you can't also add that same something to your business.

Still there's an it depends sense to the whole question.

Harold Mansfield
05-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I borrow things all the time, and customize them to suit my needs. On my latest project I actually borrowed the entire idea and changed it to be niche specific for what I wanted it to do.
I don't see a problem with it.

I see a lot of direct clones, especially in the "webmaster", Make Money Online", and blogs about "blogging"..right down to the affiliate banner placement. I think that is out of line, but if it's a different subject matter and you of course add your own customizations...go for it.

nighthawk
05-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Depends how much you copy. Most artists will draw inspiration from the work of another. That happens in design too. It's common when designing a site to look at other sites and borrow ideas. There's a line though where it's outright copying and that's not right.

When I'm designing a site I may see another with a color scheme I like. I might grab that scheme and use it as a starting point in my own design, but I'll always look for ways to alter enough to make it my own. If I did borrow a color scheme as a starting point I wouldn't also borrow the same layout or typography, etc.

As far as functionality is concerned I think that's more of an open game. Part of what makes for a good business model is having something difficult to replicate. You can't just lift someone's code (though in some cases you probably could), but if you see company X offering something to their customers, I don't see any reason why you can't also add that same something to your business.

Still there's an it depends sense to the whole question.

I agree with VanGogh, I have used other websites for inspiration a few times and made a site with similar colour schemes and layouts, however I would be weary of making an exact copy. An exact copy would violate the owners copyright, and may result in lawsuits.

Additionally you may wish to be careful when copying functionality - it may be patented. Amazon for a long time held a patent on "one click ordering" - you could order an item by simply clicking the buy button - no need to enter credit card details, or click "checkout". they were quite aggressive at clamping down on other sites offering the same functionality. However I believe this patent was later repealed and judged to be invalid.

If you spent a lot of time developing a unique looking website packed with unique functionality, would you be happy if someone else copied it?

vangogh
05-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Additionally you may wish to be careful when copying functionality

True. I guess it depends here too. I would think more often than not you'd be ok to replicate another site's functionality, though there are times when they may hold a patent. From a business standpoint you may not want to. Some functionality will be seen as being associated with one company, patent or not, and you might be better off coming up with something new to differentiate your business.

phanio
05-03-2009, 06:42 AM
I won't copy it exactly - probably just use some of it as a starting point - I just like how this site looks - very clean and simple - and how it interacts with the user.

Thanks for your comments.

vangogh
05-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Using the other site as a starting point is not only fine, but it's common practice in design and art in general. If you couldn't do that both design and art would have ceased to exist thousands of years ago. I'd be willing to bet the second piece of art every created was inspired by the first.

cbscreative
05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
That's kind of how I interpreted the question, phanio, but you did get a good variety of responses and considerations.

KristineS
05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Using a site you like as inspiration and a starting point is a common thing. Just make sure you don't imitate another site too exactly. It has happened, and companies have gotten spanked for doing it. This is one example (http://www.t-shirttalk.com/2009/03/24/busted-tees-vs-nerdy-shirts-web-site-design/).

Looking to others for inspiration is allowable and even expected. Copying something to slavishly could get you into trouble.

vangogh
05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
The second design in the example is clearly inspired by the first, but I wouldn't call it a copy. I think there's enough difference to call it its own design. Really the only thing that's the same is the overall layout and I can tell you there are only a handful of layouts that are ever used online. Will we get to a point where someone will claim you copied their site because you placed your logo in the same location they did and used a header, footer, and two columns like they did.

I think the issue in the example you posted is more to do with two competing sites in the same industry, however, that does bring up a good point. If you are going to use another site for inspiration it's probably best not to draw inspiration from a direct competitor.

KristineS
05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I think the issue in the example you posted is more to do with two competing sites in the same industry, however, that does bring up a good point. If you are going to use another site for inspiration it's probably best not to draw inspiration from a direct competitor.

I think you're right Vangogh, it had to do more with one was quite a popular site in that particularly industry and then another site came in with virtually the same design. That's where the problem really was, I think.

In truth, if you want your site to be user friendly and successful, there are a finite number of ways it can be designed and laid out. If you go too far outside the box or use mystery meat navigation or something, you'll do your site more harm than good.

Harold Mansfield
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I can say my new site was directly inspired by another. I have been looking at it for some time and thinking how I could make that work for my niche.
It's not the same subject, and I have made it custom for my audience, but like Kristine said, there are only so many ways to lay something out online, especially with static sites so there are many sites out there, especially blogs, that are similar or just like another one.

cbscreative
05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
When it comes to design layouts, they really are quite finite just as Kristine stated. Sure, you could feasibly get really creative and have something completely unusable. For those that are user friendly, they take advantage of eye tracking studies, left to right readability, sensible navigation, etc. This limits you to relatively few options without risking failure.

Obviously the two t-shirt sites could and should have been done differently, but I'm with vangogh on not making a big deal about layout.

With at least the last couple versions of Dreamweaver, they have "templates" included in the program. These templates are deliberately "plain" meaning they are layout only and have no graphics or color. The rationale behind these was based on research that web site layouts don't vary all that much, and these layouts meet most design needs. I've not used these yet, but they do provide a good starting point for layout that has been well tested, and are created using good design standards.

vangogh
05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Odds are the original site borrowed its layout from another site too. It's not like it's anything all that original. I've seen the same layout hundreds of times.