PDA

View Full Version : What is Joomla?

elsoft
05-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi friends.Its been sometime I hear this word Joomla.So I googled it and their site says it is a content management system.Has anyone here used it.What are your experieces.Is it similar to wordpress?

rezzy
05-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I covered this alot in another post. You can test out different CMSes at Joomla Testdrive (http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/details.php?scriptid=39&name=Joomla) I found Joomla to be hard to manage because it has all these extra option to control everything on the site.

The best way to see the difference is to test drive it. I find Drupal to be a much better software, touted as a CMS. Wordpress is a blogging software that people found could make a great site platform.

elsoft
05-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Rezzy,Is Joomla something on similar lines as wordpress?

rezzy
05-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Yes. It is very similar to Wordpress in many regards.

vangogh
05-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Like Bryan said. Joomla is one of the many content management systems out there. The idea is your content is stored in a database and the system controls most aspects of your site. It's a way to separate your content, your design, and functionality to make each more maintainable.

I've generally heard better things about other CMSs than Joomla, though it does have its supporters. I'd sooner recommend WordPress or Drupal, though it really depends on what you want to do. If you're planning a store you may want to choose one of the systems designed specifically to run an online store. Magento is a shopping cart app I've been hearing good things about.

elsoft
05-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Wow....Drupal ,Magento....There are alot of things to know about.Thanks guys.

vangogh
05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
One of the best ways to learn about them is to give them a try. If you have space on a server or have your computer set up to act as a server (it's not too hard) you can install each program and give each a spin.

That way you can find out which are easiest to use, which you're able to customize, etc.

rezzy
05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
If you have space on a server or have your computer set up to act as a server (it's not too hard) you can install each program and give each a spin.

Or if none of the above work, you can visit Open CMS Source (http://www.opensourcecms.com/) and test the admin and frontend of every cms known to man.

Without downloading and installing each one. You can quickly knock some of the running.

elsoft
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Vangogh and Rezzy.Thanks for the suggestions.Vangogh..Can you help with me with setting up the PC as a server.I have Windows Xp running.

vangogh
05-05-2009, 11:23 AM
The easiest way is to use a program called xampp ( http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html). The program will set up everything you need. It'll come with a an Apache server, PHP, and MySQL. Much easier than trying to install each on your own, though you could install each individually if you wanted to.

elsoft
05-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Wow..fantastic.Thanks for that Vangogh

vangogh
05-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Glad I could help.