PDA

View Full Version : If I Only Knew Then What I Know Now

vangogh
05-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Came across this post, I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now (http://www.seobook.com/wish-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now) which offers some advice for starting a business based on what the author has learned over the years.

All 10 tips are good, but I'll call out the first one specifically.

Don't start by building a website. Start by building a business case

Ask yourself:

* How will this activity make money?
* What are the unmet needs in the market, and am I able to fill those needs?
* How much time/money do I need to put into this, and will it pay back more that the input cost?

I think a lot of new businesses fail to ask these important questions. Some just dive in with an idea because they think the idea cool or easy.

There are some other great tips too like:

Business Is About Human Relationships

The post is written from the perspective of someone who's business is online so in places it will seem internet specific, but I think it's a worthwhile read for anyone thinking of starting a new business and even those of use who have already started.

If you could give your younger self some advice about starting a business what would it be?

rezzy
05-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Points that caught my attention

1.Give People Three Options

I know huggytree has mentioned this configuration, and I have been working on my pricepoints, among other things and I should create three package options.

2.It's Not About You, It's About Them

Ive heard that one in regards to copywriting on sites.

cbscreative
05-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I like the ones rezzy mentioned.

On giving 3 options, for a service business, I like this one a lot: "Get it fast, get the best price, get the best quality. Choose any two."

On #4, It's Not About You, It's About Them, I think this one is probably among the most common errors, perhaps even at the top of the list. It shows up especially in marketing materials. Web sites would be a great example. Choose any 10 web sites at random, and probably 8 or 9 of them get this one wrong. They talk to themselves instead of to the customer. We this, we that sort of thing.

If I had to add something to the list, I would say stay focused. It goes along with the first point about researching to know you have a viable business. Once you are sure the business model will work (or as sure as you can be), don't get distracted. When the going gets tough, many businesses lose focus. That's when you need it all the more.

vangogh
05-01-2009, 12:06 PM
The three option thing is a good one. I think many people naturally think more choices is better since more increases the possibility someone will buy at least one, but it generally just leads to indecision and no sales. You do see the three option thing a lot don't you?

small, medium. large
low cost, medium cost, high cost

It's not about you it's about them is good copywriting advice, but it's also good in other places too. When you're first starting a business we tend to think of what we want to do, but you really have to think if there's a market for your products and services first. You want to solve someone else's problem with your offering. The emphasis is always on them and not you.

Steve this might go along with stay focused, but I'd add just stay with it. I think a good deal of success in business is hanging in there long enough. Most business aren't going to make much early on. If you can last long enough you have a much better chance for success. Of course the flip side is knowing when enough is enough and your idea isn't one that will work for you.

cbscreative
05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Steve this might go along with stay focused, but I'd add just stay with it. I think a good deal of success in business is hanging in there long enough. Most business aren't going to make much early on. If you can last long enough you have a much better chance for success. Of course the flip side is knowing when enough is enough and your idea isn't one that will work for you.

Good call. I had that in mind too. It is just as important not to give up right before getting the prize. Business success stories are full of cases where success came right after they were about ready to quit.

vangogh
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
So much of the things you do in the beginning simply take time to work. Business is about building relationships and networking and that doesn't happen overnight. I know that many of the things I did several years ago are only now beginning to pay off.

I also think the longer you stay in business the more opportunities you see and the better you can shape how your business works. Early on you don't know the market. Over time you can define your market better. Early on you don't quite know what people will pay for your products and services. Over time you do. When you're in it longer you start to identify problems your business has so you can fix the leaky bucket and you do start to recognize new opportunities that can become profitable.

Vivid Color Zack
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I also think the longer you stay in business the more opportunities you see and the better you can shape how your business works. Early on you don't know the market. Over time you can define your market better. Early on you don't quite know what people will pay for your products and services. Over time you do. When you're in it longer you start to identify problems your business has so you can fix the leaky bucket and you do start to recognize new opportunities that can become profitable.

Not only expanding your opportunities but perfecting common opportunities that you may not have handled smoothly in the beginning. Every time we add a new product line (T-Shirts, Banners, Silk Lamination, Stickers) we face a few snags during the first month or so of offering them. Whether the snags are in how we produce the materials or in how we retrieve the orders from the customer, little things can end up costing a lot of money.

It feels really good to know that we've made so many mistake and gotten through them and learned from them. Starting up if we knew everything we knew right now we would be millionaires already. Hopefully in 4 more years I can prove that to be true. It often seems like the end of the world when something is not going to plan but once you've gotten through it you can look back and say "Hey, that really wasn't so bad."

I think I'm rambling now but I haven't slept so I... anyway... haha...

rezzy
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
A think a good note, that hasnt been mentioned is getting in with a group of people who are doing what you do. Small business people join a forum with other small business owners.

The collective has experinces and can each other out. Many times, I see thigns here and think, thats helpful and can avoid that (if at all possible).

I think its important to develop a good group of small business friends, who can direct you when you go astray. And pat you on the back when you do well.

vangogh
05-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Not only expanding your opportunities but perfecting common opportunities that you may not have handled smoothly in the beginning.

True. Hopefully you do better the next time out having learned from past mistakes. Being in business longer should make you more efficient and productive. The only real mistake is not learning from your mistakes.

I think its important to develop a good group of small business friends

Good point. That way you can learn from the mistakes of others instead of having to make all the mistakes yourself.

rezzy
05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
That way you can learn from the mistakes of others instead of having to make all the mistakes yourself.

And then when you make one, you can run to them for help.

vangogh
05-01-2009, 06:27 PM
That too. You have to learn to sort out who you should ask though. Otherwise you could be asking someone for help who points you in the wrong direction.

rezzy
05-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Maybe its high time, I start re-considering who I ask. ;)

vangogh
05-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Funny. I promise to only point you in what I think is the right direction. Of course sometimes I wear a blindfold when I point.

cbscreative
05-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Of course sometimes I wear a blindfold when I point.

And you wait this long to tell us this? :D

vangogh
05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
And I'm down to one good ear too. :)

rezzy
05-02-2009, 09:56 PM
And I'm down to one good ear too. :)

So its quite possible, you dont even clearly hear what we are asking about... maybe I should start getting a second opinion.

No wonder my site keeps crashing ;)

vangogh
05-03-2009, 02:36 AM
What? Huh? Sorry couldn't hear you. Could you speak up a little?

howtechhelpsbiz
07-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Wow, I actually fell into a couple of those categories :(

Hopefully I can turn things around fairly quickly!

vangogh
07-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Lot's of people fall into a few of those categories. Just learn what you can in order to improve things the next time.