PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Learn If You Built A Search Engine Index?

vangogh
04-29-2009, 11:17 PM
You and I are not likely going to crawl the web and index billions of web pages. The search engines do, but they don't tell us much. Fortunately SEOmoz is also building an index and they're more open to sharing some of the info they learn.

If you're familiar with SEOmoz you probably know about their Linkscape tool which shares results from SEOmoz crawling the web.

Rand recently posted, Lessons Learned Building an Index of the WWW (http://www.seomoz.org/blog/lessons-learned-building-an-index-of-the-www) in which he shared some of what they found while crawling the web and analyzing link data.

If you don't want to read the full post, you might want to at least scroll down to the bottom for Rand's top tips for SEOs based on the data.

One tip I particularly like

Focus on link acquisition from a diverse number of root domains, not necessarily high PageRank pages, or those with high link counts.

In other words try to get links from as wide a variety of sources as you can. Don't worry about PageRank or site wide links.

Any of the tips stand out to you? Are any new to you or change the way you think about things?

KristineS
04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
I think this is a really good tip

Make smart, usable, short URLs.

So many times, people make huge urls that are complicated to remember and read. Short and simple is so much easier. Plus I think it causes you to be more concise about the content of your pages.

vangogh
04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
That is a good one. One thing I generally do with posts on my blog is change the URL and remove all the stop words like "the," "and," "a," etc. By default WordPress will use the title of your post for the page title, the post heading, and the URL.