PDA

View Full Version : Idea Feedback: Clothing Website with verified sizes

dc878787
03-06-2015, 04:16 PM
I had an idea for a clothing business that I wanted to get some feedback on. Let me know what you think of this idea:

I'm 6'6" 170lbs. Needless to say, finding jeans/pants is always a nightmare for me. Between not having my inseam available in many styles (I'm a 32x36), the jeans I do find that are listed in my size often don't fit because they're shorter/longer than the listed inseam, and they shrink by varying amounts after washing them.

What I want to do is start a website that sells jeans that I have pre-washed and then measured the waist of the jeans and the outseam (the distance from the waist to the bottom of the outside of the leg). The website would list the jeans by their brand name (i.e. Levis 501 Original Fit) and the *actual* measured waist x outseam size for the customer to order.

I would definitely pay a premium for this, because I usually have to buy 2-3 pairs of jeans, and wash them to see if they fit. If they don't fit, I can't return them since I washed them already.

I'm curious if anyone else here would be interested in this website - would you pay a premium to know that a pair of jeans you purchased online have been verified to be the correct size to fit you?

KCSconsulting
03-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Before you spend money on inventory and infrastructure... I would suggest taking the sizing information you have and testing the market. Create a free site with the listed after wash sizes... See how much traffic you are getting, then monetize based on feedback. If done properly you won't have to charge a premium to make money. Think about this: what'd to stop someone from buying the right size needed from a seller once they know the sizes they need? However if you build a following, you can get wholesale cost, offer market value prices, and make money.

MakingItNow
03-08-2015, 11:19 PM
would you pay a premium to know that a pair of jeans you purchased online have been verified to be the correct size to fit you?

I'd pay a premium to know that a size I buy from any retailer would fit me with a legitimate fitment guide moderated by a third party. In fact, I'd pay every-time I went online to find clothes, for every article of clothing. However, I bet with hard dedication and work the manufacturer would pay you to do that. It would save them on returns and it would also promote sales of that brand, especially in a niche as you are speaking of.

That's a long shot. People laugh at long shots until they are conquered. You never know until you go and knock on some doors.

One thing about it. Clothing manufacturers don't always promote accurate sizing for a reason, especially with women's clothes. I think the reason is obvious. That's constructive food for thought.

MakingItNow
03-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Heck, that'd work for shoes too. You would think there would be guidelines were a 10 is a 10. In reality, a 10 may be labeled as a 9.5, or 10.5. That's a problem that needs fixing too. It could be done.

My two cents.

Harold Mansfield
03-09-2015, 10:30 AM
I'm all for a good idea, but I just don't see what problem this is solving..mainly because I'm not having a problem buying the right size. I can agree that some clothes fit me better than others, but most times that's design and cut over wild variations in sizes.

But generally it's not the inconvenience to me that it seems to be for others.

I even shop for clothes and shoes online, because I'm confident in the consistency of the brands that I buy. No problem.

But my real skepticism comes from your idea of "real sizing". This already exists. You can custom order all kinds of clothing both online and in person. The first thing that comes to mind is suits. This is how suits are sold. They are made to order. Levis and many other jean companies let you order to specific dimensions. You can even have certain brands of shoes custom to the specific dimensions of your feet.

Of course this isn't always affordable for the average off the rack shopper. So to me it's not that this doesn't exist. That's not the bright idea.
To me it's how are you going to do it and make it affordable to a new market of people who currently can't afford to buy clothes this way.

Brian Altenhofel
03-09-2015, 11:17 AM
The way that I would pursue it would be an affiliate marketing approach. Many retailers provide product feeds, and you can use those feeds to populate "buy this item" lists. You provide real-world sizing information, perhaps with a rating system so users can rate the accuracy of the sizing information (not every garment shrinks the same amount). Users could also subscribe to notifications of good deals on products they like.

Of course, that's the way I would do it. Every bit of that can be automated, though it's probably not worth it starting out to automate the measuring process.

Harold Mansfield
03-09-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm still not getting it.

So you're basically an affiliate, but you're testing every article of clothing to "real world" sizing information?
Also, is shrinkage that big of a problem these days? I mean between new materials, pre-shrunk items, and proper care there's really no reason for something to shrink to the point where it doesn't fit anymore.

Everything doesn't go in the dryer on hot. And most people understand which materials shrink and how to care for them.

I guess this is where I'm missing the point. It just doesn't seem like the big problem solver that's going to be a game changer.

Brian Altenhofel
03-09-2015, 02:06 PM
I use my Wrangler jeans as an example. On my standard "relaxed fit" jeans that I wear when I am doing physical work, hunting, fishing, or anything else where my legs might actually need protection, the waistband on a 36 inch pair range from 34.5" to 35.75" buttoned after being washed and dried. The 36 inch 20X jeans I wear when they need to be a little nicer are actually 36" buttoned after being washed and dried. I have a 35.5" waist. The instructions on the label are followed exactly. As a side note, some of the jeans that are more loose in the waist are rather tight over my boots...

"Pre-shrunk" does not mean that the garment won't still shrink when washed. The preshrinking is done through compression, not actual washing.

Sure, it's not a "game changing" idea, which is why I suggested approaching it via an affiliate marketing route - low investment and can practically run on autopilot.

billbenson
03-09-2015, 05:14 PM
I've never heard of jeans being sold by the seam length. I never find two brands of Jeans in a department store to fit the same.

I think it is a good idea. Particularly for products like jeans that last forever. There are other niches. My martial arts instructor won't buy jeans unless he can kick you in the head with them on. Years ago there was a line of Billy Jack Jeans from the movie in the 70's. They had an extra patch in the crotch area so you could kick high.

Body Builders are another group that need odd sizes.

When I was a field sales guy, I got custom suit's from Hong Kong. A guy would rent a suite in a hotel and have a book of clothing styles and a book of cloth swatches. Or you could just bring a photo of a suit you liked. Depending on the cloth you selected they were from $600 to $1k. They would pay for local tailoring, but I never had a problem. Quality was always great.

Just a couple of thoughts that come to mind

Harold Mansfield
03-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Lee Jeans and Levis fit me differently. Dickie's are also a different fit. But it's not the size, it's the cut. They're all the same waist and length, but Levis give me more but and thigh room to move around..which is not a measurement that I know of.

Same with some tops. A Nautica sweater fits smaller on me than say an Izod. So that begs the question, who decides what the standard is, and is that standard the same for everyone?

Fulcrum
03-09-2015, 08:46 PM
I like the OP idea as I find most shirts are being designed for people with "gym bodies". I can't stand tight fitting shirts yet if I step up a size it's comfortable in the shoulders/chest yet hangs down to my knees after a few weeks (I've got a bit of the bulldog build). Jeans are a different story - 36" waist yet the leg fit should be from a 34" relaxed fit.

In my line of work, this can turn into a safety issue. I've lost track of how many times I've got my shirt torn off by a wire wheel, or set on fire, because the fit is that poor. The same goes for pants hooking on tables or other large product in the shop.

billbenson
03-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Lee Jeans and Levis fit me differently. Dickie's are also a different fit. But it's not the size, it's the cut. They're all the same waist and length, but Levis give me more but and thigh room to move around..which is not a measurement that I know of.

Same with some tops. A Nautica sweater fits smaller on me than say an Izod. So that begs the question, who decides what the standard is, and is that standard the same for everyone?

I agree, but I still think there is a business niche here. And for someone like the OP he is kind of stuck finding some jeans that remotely fit him.

My wife has put on weight in recent years and has trouble finding jeans that fit her. She's pretty picky though. I think she should just buy the closest ones to her size and have them tailored. Problem is for women, styles are always changing. I'm wearing 5 y/o jeans and a t shirt from a thrift store. I keep one or two pair of jeans separate that she liked and bought for me. I just wear them when we go out. Florida is pretty informal.

I kind of digressed here, but, some people have non standard body types and are going to have to live with some tailoring. Not having looked at the niche, no idea on market size, but I think it is there.

billbenson
03-10-2015, 11:08 PM
In my line of work, this can turn into a safety issue. I've lost track of how many times I've got my shirt torn off by a wire wheel, or set on fire, because the fit is that poor. The same goes for pants hooking on tables or other large product in the shop.

This has always been an issue in certain industries. How does a guy using a tree chipper in the cold months stay completely safe??

Fulcrum
03-11-2015, 07:47 AM
This has always been an issue in certain industries.

True, but most of my time is spent indoors in a shop environment.

I do still think the OP has a valid idea here. I'm just not sure how to help him proceed.