PDA

View Full Version : Branding

Dan F
04-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi everyone :)

I'm working hard to setup a small business, which is going to be targeted at home users and small businesses. It's all about computer services, like computer repairs, upgrades, small networks and the like. I've been going on for some months now and still a long way to go.

At the moment I'm advertising using my name, but as time goes by I'm thinking of starting using a business name, as it doesn't make sense to change the name as soon as it gets better.

What I want from you is to tell me what do you think of the name I've come up with. The name is 'TechMate'. I'm still trying to think of a slogan. I'm going to emphasize what I think my competitors do not offer... 24/7 service, a personalized service (it's difficult for larger businesses to offer a personalized service as a personal tech).

Needs some opinions from you pros :)

Thanks.

rezzy
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I think techmate is a good one. Finding a business name is one of the hardest steps to starting a business.

vangogh
04-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Seems like a good name. It fits with what you do and it's easy to remember. It works with the idea of being more personal than your competitors. I assume that was the reason for the choice of mate, as in friend.

A couple of things to consider about the name.

1. The domain and many variations of it are probably taken. If you're planning a website, which you should, you'll probably need something that isn't your name. That could cause branding problems down the road.

2. If you prefer to go with a company name instead of your own name, do that as soon as possible.

3. While I like TechMate, if you're going to use personalized service as a selling point, there's nothing more personal than your name. There's nothing wrong with using your name as a company name.

Just some things to consider. I do like the name.

nighthawk
04-27-2009, 06:34 AM
1. The domain and many variations of it are probably taken. If you're planning a website, which you should, you'll probably need something that isn't your name. That could cause branding problems down the road.

When deciding on a name you should ensure the matching domain name is available - it is pretty essential for a branding point of view. If you are not running an international or online based business then dont be afraid to go with a local domain name - such as .co.uk or .au if the .com is not available.

As for providing a 24/7 service - are you sure you want to be doing this? If it is just you working for the business, do you really want to be receiving support calls at 3am, then again all the next day? What about when you are having a night out with friends, do you want to be handling calls while in the pub or a restaurant?

Dan F
04-27-2009, 07:06 AM
As for the domain name it's not a problem.

As rtegards to the 24/7, I doubt people are going to phone at 3am, but this is a silly argument. If they had to phone at 3am, I would arrange an appointment as soon as possible, like 6:30am or at the client's earliest possible. Of course, if the client needs the problem fix as soon as possible due to business or anything else, why not?

My village hosts only 3500, and I can cross the island in less than 30 minutes.

Maybe I should ask you if you have any other idea about this. What I will be trying to show to people is that other businesses close doors at 7pm (some close the servicing department at 4pm or even 3pm), whilst I'm able to go on-site at any time. Some people arrive from work at 7pm and when they switch on their computer system it wouldn't work, and they need to do something important. All stores are closed at that time.

What do you suggest?

Thanks for your feedback :) Really appreciated.

Dan F
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm also planning to do a form which I handle to my new clients to get their personal information, so that I could give them offers if I had to plan something in the future.

What are your opinions about this?

Thanks.

rezzy
04-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Thats a great idea and generally a good way to contact clients.

Although you want to make sure, you provide other methods for contact.

One thing I have learned as I fine tune my site and contact forms, it to ask for only the information you need to contact them. By adding more information then needed you reduce the chances they will fill out the form.

Who really likes telling a stranger their life story, if they only need to know one thing?

KristineS
04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Forms are useful but, as Rezzy mentioned, make sure you don't ask for too much information. Ask for too much, and you do run the risk you won't get any at all.

It's also not a bad idea to be able to contact your past customers later. Just keep in mind that you should always give them a way to opt out of getting further e-mails from you if they don't wish to receive those e-mails. It's very annoying to keep getting e-mails you don't want and having no way to request that the e-mails stop.

Dan F
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I haven't included too much information. So far, this is what they should fill:

Name
Surname
Address
Telephone
Mobile
and a question of how did they hear about me.

haven't included any e-mail because I know they will not read them if I had to send them news. I was thinking of asking for their birthday as well, but most of the time all the family members use the computer so which birthday should I choose? Nothing :p

Underneath the form I've put a disclaimer that authorizes me to use their information for my business only etc.. Not sure if the US have the something like the Data Protection Act; most probably under a different name.

In the same form at the very bottom I've reserved a part for me where I've put:

A client ID (so it helps me keep a good record)
Date of first service.

Again I've put a disclaimer for me to sign which states that I should never use their personal information for anything else other than offers and for the business' records, and that the information should not be given to third parties. I sign for that too just in case something happens... who knows?

What do you think? At the moment I'm trying to create a database in Access, although it's confusing and requires lots of planning :p

vangogh
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Dan I agree with everyone about keeping the forms short and only collected essential information. Every extra field on a form increases the chance it won't get filled out.

Ask yourself what you really need with the form and collect only that information. Likely all you need is a name, one way to contact, and a box for comments.

Why a name and surname? Just use one field for name and let them decide what to include. You can ask how they found you later. If you need to know right away use analytics to track how they arrived at your site.

So you really need two phone numbers? Most people won't even give you one on a form. Odds are the email is the better contact. These are people who filled out a form on a website. They probably do use email. You can collect their phone number through an email. Ask for the absolute minimum. Anything else leads to less people filling out the form.

I'm rereading your post above again. Is this form one they fill out after they've already contacted you? Or is this the initial contact form? If it's the initial contact then I hold to everything I said above. If this is meant for after you've been contacted then it is ok to ask for the additional info.

Dan F
04-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Ah sorry, should have made it clearer. This is a form new clients fill during their first service or whatever. So I'm on-site looking and fixing their problem, in the mean time I give them this form to fill it out.

The reasons are those explained above. I'm creating a database with all the information needed (is it called a CRM?), so that I could use for offers and whenever they have any other problem I'd simply check the work I did previously on their system. I'm also going to relate Invoices and Work Orders to the Client Information Form.

So it's not something which is going to be on a website ;)

vangogh
04-29-2009, 12:09 PM
My bad. I had a feeling that's what it was after I wrote my post.

I guess the first thing is still decide what info you need. People probably won't give you home and mobile numbers for example. I know I wouldn't. Maybe just ask for phone. There are lots of ways to store the info from the simple to the complex.

You should be able o find software to handle most of it. CRM is customer relations management. At the moment I use something as simple as the address book that came with my Mac, but there are much more robust programs available for both Windows and Mac. Depends on your needs as to what will be best.

The info you mentioned wanting to collect seems fine. You'll probably find down the road other info you wanted to collect and maybe even some you realize you don't need as much as you thought.

Dan F
04-29-2009, 02:26 PM
You're right, I might do it Tel / Mob so they can list whichever they want.

It's really difficult to do an invoice system. What I'm trying to do is build a clients database which I could combine with a practical invoice and work order system. I'm trying to build a database using Microsoft Access but I have a strange feeling it won't work well as I'm not too knowledgeable with Access.

Basically:

1. Customer phones and I go on site.
2. Work on the issue and give them this form
3. Later I'll insert the client into my database
4. Insert a work order in the same database, which would be combined with the client's information (unique Work Order number, unique Client ID).
5. Print out an Invoice using the same Database.

Also, when the client phones another time, I just input their telephone in the database to find all the information needed, like their system specs, their previous work orders (problems), the contact information if I ever need to contact them.

The problem is that I can't seem to find a good way to build this system :confused: Also, most third party software have lots of not needed features which makes the process more confusing.

vangogh
04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I would think Access could do everything you want. I don't use Access myself so I can't really help with the details. I took a class in Access years ago and from what I remember it wasn't too difficult to use, though there was a learning curve and most of the work will be in setting things up.

You're probably right in that most commercial systems will offer much more than you need. However keep in mind the cost of development for a custom system and it might then make sense to pay for the extras. You may even find down the road that you do want some of those features.

What kind of problems are you having as far as building the system? Is it more the learning curve with Access or that you aren't sure how to set up the database itself?

Looking over what info you want to collect I think I would set up at least 2 tables within the database.

1. Customer - which would store the basic contact info. The table can be set up to add a unique id automatically so you won't need to show that on the form.

2. Order - which would be any details you want to collect about the specific call. You'd probably want the price, date, and fields to describe the work. Probably add a comment field so you can add any extra comments. You'll probably also want to include the customer id and perhaps the customer name.

You'd tie both tables together through the customer id. When you're adding the details of one order you'd add their id or other unique identifying info and that order would then be tied to the customer.

You'll only need to add to the customer table when you have a new customer and then after that you'll just be adding to the order table.

You could also create some kind of marketing table which would include the how did you hear about us info along with the customer id.

Dan F
04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I rarely used Access before, so creating a full CRM system is not the easiest thing do me. So far I've managed to create the 2 tables you've mentioned together with forms. Both link together, but not fully working. I'm also trying to create an Invoice system within the same database.

I'm kind of lost now :p

vangogh
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Creating a full CRM could be a lot of work, which is why purchasing something more than you need may end up be best.

Here's a list of open source CRM software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_CRM_software) from Wikipedia that might be worth exploring.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but at the moment I uses the basic address book on my Mac to keep client info. Then I have an invoicing program that can connect to the address book. I know similar things exist for Windows. I'm pretty sure Outlook can be used to collect all the client info and there are probably many invoicing programs that can read the data from outlook.

Here's something called Easy CRM Software for Outlook (http://www.avidian.com/). The only thing it doesn't seem to do is generate invoices, however, it does let you export data to Word so I would think you could set up a template for an invoice in Word and export the data for each invoice.

You may also want to search for invoicing software as opposed to CRM software. Chances are most invoicing software will do what you want.

Dan F
04-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a MacBook Pro too. Mind sharing the invoicing program? :)

vangogh
04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Sure. I'm using Billings (http://www.billingsapp.com/). I'm still trying to figure out how to use some of it. Most of my clients don't need invoices, but one did so I grabbed the trial version and later decided to buy. It's $40 so it's not too bad and it can pull in data from Address Book.

Here's the site behind Billings, MarketCircle ( http://www.marketcircle.com/index.html). They make a productivity suite called Daylite, which looks nice and may have more of what you want. It's more expensive though. $189 for a single user.

There are other invoicing programs for Mac that look good too. Try the Apple download section (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/business_finance/). The link takes you right to the business and finance apps. Some on the list are free and some are pay. I spend an hour or two every so often looking through some of the apps in the different sections and have found a few good ones.

Give Billings a try and see what you think. They have a 30 day trial so you can see if you like it before buying. Other companies will make a series of apps that all connect to each other too. One thing I like about Billings, though I haven't really used it to its potential yet is you can set up an estimate slip with all the hours you think a project will take and then track your time in the program to see how long it really takes. Nice way to improve estimating skills. Might not be something you'd need, but nice for me.

nighthawk
04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
You're right, I might do it Tel / Mob so they can list whichever they want.

It's really difficult to do an invoice system. What I'm trying to do is build a clients database which I could combine with a practical invoice and work order system. I'm trying to build a database using Microsoft Access but I have a strange feeling it won't work well as I'm not too knowledgeable with Access.

Basically:

1. Customer phones and I go on site.
2. Work on the issue and give them this form
3. Later I'll insert the client into my database
4. Insert a work order in the same database, which would be combined with the client's information (unique Work Order number, unique Client ID).
5. Print out an Invoice using the same Database.

Also, when the client phones another time, I just input their telephone in the database to find all the information needed, like their system specs, their previous work orders (problems), the contact information if I ever need to contact them.

The problem is that I can't seem to find a good way to build this system :confused: Also, most third party software have lots of not needed features which makes the process more confusing.

Creating such a system is a fantastic idea, and will make your life so much easier. Many businesses overlook such things, but having a database like this will really save you time when it comes to invoicing, and also assist in helping to fix issues - if you can trace back through all previous calls you may just find a similar issue you have fixed for them before.

As for your form idea - I think a lot of the information may be redundant. In order to visit them on site, you will need to know their name and address, and probably a contact number anyway to confirm the appointment. Any additional information such as how they found out about you can be obtained just through casual conversation while you are working. Asking them to fill out a form sounds a little too formal, and many may choose not to.

Perhaps as an alternative fill out the form yourself? Create a job details form, with the clients name / address / telephone at the top, and system details below, followed by description of the fault and any actions taken by yourself to fix it. Fill this out as you work - if it is an existing client, then print off the sheet before you visit, with their details already filled in, and some details of the fault they have reported. It will not only allow you to gain the info you need, but will look a lot more professional and serve as a great historic log for yourself.

If you need any help setting up a CMS system, feel free to post any questions you have here on SBF, although I havent got much experience creating front ends in Access, I do have a lot of experience in creatign and designing databases, and I am sure there are many others here that can also assist you.

Dan F
04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
nighhawk, thanks for the reply.

I can get rid of the 'Where did you get to know about us' questions easily. I can fill it in myself too, but I need them to sign it due to law about data protection.

As regards to the CRM, I haven't heard about this thing since last week, so it're pretty new for me. Access is also a new thing since I've only used it at school years ago, and it was basic stuff. So I'm lacking knowledge on both the planning and design as well as the technical side of building it. Believe me, I'm not sure what to ask you as I don't know from where to start! :o I could always send you the database for you to look at if you can help me out.

SuzanneDIngram
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi Dan,

I have three points:

1. As far as your company name goes, my opinion is that your website url should have at least one search term in it. For example, my company's website (you can see it in my signature) includes term "lists" or "list" in our url because we are a list brokerage company. Your proposed company name Techmate does not have this. I would suggest a word like "solutions" (ok, that's a bit overused) or "support" or something along those lines. You could be helping a lot of consumers at home, people like my mother in the 60's or 70's who need help setting up a new computer, or setting up an email account. I think that these types of people might be intimidated by Techmate. I don't know... I could be wrong! :D

2. I think you need a proper CRM system but you do not have to reinvent the wheel. Use something like ACT. It costs about $300 I believe and you should be able to get it at any office supply store.

3. Lastly, but most importantly, when a customer calls you up, you can discuss your services, how you work, your fees, availability, etc and if they want to set up an appointment, THIS is the time to get all their contact info and type it into your CRM system right when you are on the phone with them. This will save you oodles of time. I do this every day. People give me their phone number, company name, mailing address, email address, etc. I can write a note on their record like "Prefers email" or "prefers calls". You also type into your CRM the time and date of the appointment and it will remind you. It should have a calendar on it. You MUST have a proper CRM system.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Suzanne

Dan F
04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Suzanne,

1. I'm not sure about the extra term in the address. Maybe I add terms like 'solutions', 'repairs', or even 'computers'... but still it does not indicate that I do computer repairs. The problem is that TechMateComputerRepairs is too long, so that's out of questions as well. That's why I'm trying to think of a simple and easy to remember slogan.

2. The problem with these ready-made CRM applications is that they are not suitable to your business... at least most of the time. During these last few days I've tried numerous CRM applications and haven't found one which is suitable for the work I do.

3. That's a good idea to ask for the information while they are on the phone with you. That's why I am trying to build MY CRM system. Most CRM systems I've used are more suitable for long time term jobs, like those of a web designer.

Thanks a lot for your time to post your suggestions Suzanne.

vangogh
04-30-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure the keyword in the domain is all that important. I think a memorable name is more important. I'd sooner be tech.com than techmatecomputerrepair.com. However if you can get a keyword in there that helps describe your business it's a good idea. It can help to a degree with search results and it can help people understand what you do by your name alone.

Odds are you can find something both memorable that does include a descriptive keyword.

TechMateRepairs works. Tech and Repairs are descriptive enough to tell people what you do. Not saying you have to add the extra word, but you can and I have a hunch techmate.com is going to be a long gone domain.

nighthawk
04-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure the keyword in the domain is all that important. I think a memorable name is more important. I'd sooner be tech.com than techmatecomputerrepair.com. However if you can get a keyword in there that helps describe your business it's a good idea. It can help to a degree with search results and it can help people understand what you do by your name alone.

Odds are you can find something both memorable that does include a descriptive keyword.

TechMateRepairs works. Tech and Repairs are descriptive enough to tell people what you do. Not saying you have to add the extra word, but you can and I have a hunch techmate.com is going to be a long gone domain.

It is indeed gone, however techmate.com.mt is available. If you only plan to target the local market, then such a domain will be suitable, and also show that you are a local based company, and not an international chain.

As for having keywords in the domain name - its always a good idea for SEO, but you need to consider whether you need SEO. If you plan on targeting a global market, and the internet is going to be your primary advertising means, then a good domain with your primary keywords in it, are desirable.

However if you are planning to target a local market then the domain isn't as important - searching for "pc repair Malta" is going to be a much less competitive market. Additionally I would imagine the primary advertising means for a business like this would be through local advertising. A memorable name would be more use in this case.

Dan F
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
My business is the local market as I only do local repairs so far.

As for the slogan, what do you think is a catchy one? I'd like to emphasize a personalized service as much as possible. I'd also like to say that I'm available most of the time, even after stores close (not sure of a proper wording for this).

vangogh
04-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Don't worry about a catchy slogan. Better to make it clear what you do. Something like "24/7 repair services with a smile" will be better than trying to be cutesy. Make it something that shows clearly what you do.

As far as using a .mt domain do you know if people in Malta actually type in .mt. I'd still go for the .com over anything, though I'd probably still purchase the .mt too. One advantage to using .mt is that search engines will probably give you preference in local searches, especially if you choose hosting with servers located in Malta.

Dan F
04-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Most probably that's what I will end up getting, since the business is going to be based locally.

You're right about the slogan. I'd rather use a phrase that clearly states what I do rather than the usual catchy slogans. I might just use 'Personalized Computer Services', or maybe 'Quality Personalized Computer Services' :o

Another question about advertisements. I've only advertised once last year using my real name in a local mag. I'm advertising again this year but since I'm going to use a different name, do you suggest including my name in the advert too? If yes, how should I do it? I know my uncle titles himself as Chairman. Some title themselves as Directors.

Thanks vangogh, I really appreciate what you're doing :)
as well as others :)

vangogh
04-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't go with chairman or director since you want to get across a personal feeling. No reason you can't add your name, though. That would make the ad more personal. If you feel you need to use a title why not just say owner. You could put a picture of yourself with your name and owner as a caption.

Maybe simply somewhere under the new name and close to it you could list owned and operated by and then your name.

Glad to help.

nighthawk
05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't go with chairman or director since you want to get across a personal feeling. No reason you can't add your name, though. That would make the ad more personal. If you feel you need to use a title why not just say owner. You could put a picture of yourself with your name and owner as a caption.

Maybe simply somewhere under the new name and close to it you could list owned and operated by and then your name.

Glad to help.

I agree. Go with "Techmate by Dan F", with the "by Dan F" appearing in a small font below the Techmate name. Giving yourself a title such as Chairman or CEO conveys that you are a large business, whereas you were wanting to brand yourself as a more personal service.

Dan F
05-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Yes, that's what I would think if I'll be reading such advert.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

Dan F
05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I was thinking of expanding the service and start selling computer systems as well.

Since I'm emphasizing on a personalized service, I thought of doing the same thing with new computer systems, built specifically for the clients' usage. In the meantime I can create a new scheme of selling 'energy saving' products where no company offers such scheme on the island.

However I have two problems which I've never dealt with before. First one is that I don't have a supplier and I can't seem to find one in Europe, which would make it even harder to find energy saving hardware. I currently buy the required hardware from a store in the UK, if they are cheaper then those locally.

The other problem is warranty. I don't have any warranties yet, and I would like to do something for both repairs and for new systems (if I decide to try this out).

Thanks for your suggestions! :)

EDIT: Just saw an advert of a newly opened store in Malta which looks like it's all about energy saving products. Would it be a good idea to contact this company and try to make a deal, like buying directly form them at a discount. Or maybe a business partnership where we both advertise each other or something similar. I'm new to this so I'd need your help before proceeding.

vangogh
05-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Sounds like you have a good idea. Now you have to solve the problems along the way. I'd say contact that other store. The worst thing they could do is say no, but what you're describing sounds like a win-win so I can't see why thy would.

Just look for the what's in it for them angle and set up the win-win.

Dan F
05-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Thanks vangogh.

Since the business is only at its start, I'm still searching for a part time job. Was thinking, would it be a good idea to tell an interviewer that I'm working to start a business? Of course, should the job be something different from the business :p

vangogh
05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Depends on the job I think. It could show you have initiative, but at the same time it's a signal to the employer that you're focus will be elsewhere. I probably wouldn't mention it, though I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer to the question.

KristineS
05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I think contacting the store would be a great idea. As Vangogh said, it is a win-win, and the worst they can say is no they don't want to work with you. So you've really not got much to lose.

As for the job thing, I don't think I would tell a potential employer that you're working to start your own company. If I were the interviewer that would immediately signal to me that your focus would be elsewhere and that you're only working for me as a stop gap while you get your own thing going. You might get points for being honest, but it would raise more red flags than I'd like.

vangogh
05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah. I guess the one place it would be ok to mention the business is if the job you're applying for is specifically temporary in nature. In that case someone might see you as an ideal candidate since you won't later be looking for permanent work.

Still I'd probably never mention it.

nighthawk
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I was thinking of expanding the service and start selling computer systems as well.

Since I'm emphasizing on a personalized service, I thought of doing the same thing with new computer systems, built specifically for the clients' usage. In the meantime I can create a new scheme of selling 'energy saving' products where no company offers such scheme on the island.

This sounds like a great idea - however you may need to ensure any purchasers are aware that any future support or repair work on the machine will be charged and not provided free of charge. I know a former colleague of mine used to build and sell PCs in his spare time - he eventually gave up as he was sick of people coming back to him every time something went wrong and expecting him to sort it free of charge.

With you also offering a repair service it is the perfect opportunity, sell them a PC, along with a support contract, or charge them for each visit to fix it. Ensure your name and number is on the case somewhere so they know who to call if they have a problem.

The other problem is warranty. I don't have any warranties yet, and I would like to do something for both repairs and for new systems (if I decide to try this out).

See above - I would be careful here. All of the parts will be covered by a manufacturers warranty, typically for 3 years, so replacing the hardware wont be an issue.

However if anything goes wrong software wise there is little you can do. Ensure you take this into account, along with time for fitting replacement hardware if needed.

vangogh
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Another thing to consider is who will be your market. Custom computers will probably do better with a higher end customer. It's unlikely you're going to be able to offer a less expensive system than Dell or HP so you are going to be dealing with a special group if people.

The energy saving idea is a good one, though you might do better to promote it more as a benefit to the environment than a benefit to the wallet. The cost may justify itself with the energy savings, but it takes time to recover. Average consumer is probably more concerned with what they have now than what they'll save later. Not all will be like that, but many will.

Marketing it as the environmental choice could open up a market of people with disposable income who are willing to pay more to help something outside themselves.

Just a thought.

nighthawk
05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Another thing to consider is who will be your market. Custom computers will probably do better with a higher end customer. It's unlikely you're going to be able to offer a less expensive system than Dell or HP so you are going to be dealing with a special group if people.

Dan suggested offering second hand - refurbished computers, this will cover the lower income side of the market. Additionally - Dan will be able to offer advice over what the customer needs, regardless of whether the customer is high or low income that is an advantage over buying from Dell. As long as the new machines are not too much more expensive than Dell, or he can offer a suitable second hand machine - he is in with a shot.

vangogh
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
My bad for skimming too fast and missing that. That makes sense. It's a good way to offer a low cost computer to people along with the technical support. People would naturally call Dan for support if there's a problem. You should be able to stay competitive even with big brands by selling refurbished.

Dan F
06-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Sorry for not posting earlier.

Over here, users rarely get a Dell or an HP. Most of the systems they have are bought from local retailers which build their own systems and sell them. Usually they have like 3 different systems, from basic to gaming systems with some available upgrades.

Lately, I've managed to register with a local computer hardware distributor and I've already had two orders in two weeks... and I haven't paid anything for advertising. The new clients get to know about me through word of mouth advertising. I've asked for opinions about customized and personalized systems, and both clients prefer it this way rather than going to a retail store and are given three options.

Since my last post, I've opened a thread in an international computer related forum, which is one of the largest on the net, for graphic designers to submit their samples for the logo.

I've got a lot to choose from but only few look professionally made in my opinion... being 2a & 2b, 4c & 4d, 5c & 5e.

What are your suggestions? (You need to download the file below)

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/239942470/LOGOS_IN_PROGRESS.rar)

vangogh
06-02-2009, 09:49 AM
The new clients get to know about me through word of mouth advertising.

That's the best form of advertising there is.

Are the logos online for us to see or could you attach them to a post or posts here? I can't speak for others, but I generally don't like downloading things just to take a look at them.

Dan F
06-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Hmmm... the problem is that there are 24 logos, and I could only attach 3 here.

You could always check out the original thread (it has 3 pages) where I've asked for them:

Board Message (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=770890)

vangogh
06-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Looks like the original thread is only viewable to members that are logged in.

I was thinking you only wanted us to look at the 6 designs you mentioned above. I didn't realize you wanted us to look at all 24. The 6 images wouldn't be too hard to attach here Otherwise if you can wait till later I'll download what you sent to rapidshare and take a look.

Dan F
06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Yes please :) Maybe you think the logos I chose are really ugly and the others would be better to use :p

Thanks again.

vangogh
06-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I liked 2a and 2b much better than I liked either of the 4s or 5s. I like the two 5s you mentioned better than the 4s. The difference between the versions of each wasn't so dramatic to me.

My reasons for liking 2a and 2b are that the font did say tech to me and gave me a greater feel of quality than most of the other logos. I'm not sure it gets across the personalized you're using in the tagline, but I think of the three logos it was the most professional looking.

I thought the phone as the top of the 'T' used in 10 and 11 was interesting, though I wouldn't recommend either of those logos over #2.

2b looks a little better to me than 2a. The lighter blue in the circle pulled me into reading the company name, but I think either would be fine.

Dan F
06-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks for taking your time to view the logos.

Is there anything wrong with the slogan itself or is it the font used? Some friends suggested that I should remove the little circles around the letters of the slogan.

Again, thanks for checking them out :)

vangogh
06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Glad to help.

I'm not sure what you mean about the circles. I don't see any circles around the letters of the tagline. Am I missing something? I think the tagline is fine. I suppose 'computer services' can be somewhat of a vague term. Some might see what I do as offering computer services for example. I think the word quality gets used to the point where it means less than what it's trying to say. But overall I don't think the tagline is bad.

Dan F
06-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh I see. I was more worried about the 'Personalized' word rather than 'Quality' and 'Computer Services'. Maybe I should change the word 'Services' to 'Servicing'?

What would you put instead of 'quality'? Any ideas?

Thanks VG :)

vangogh
06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought personalized made sense since you are trying to offer something more personal to people.

Describe here what your services are going to be and also why someone should choose you. Why should people contact you instead of your competition?

Dan F
06-03-2009, 02:13 PM
That's simple.

I'm competing with large retail stores, which make more profit by selling hardware and software, and obviously do repairs when needed. What usually happens is that when someone takes a computer system for repair they don't have any interest of the user's usage, their budget etc... So lets say they need to replace the motherboard, they simply replace it with anyone that works. Thsi is just an example. That's the reason why I'm emphasizing the 'personalized' work.

Also, it's not the first time I've opened systems of new clients who had literally a mess in there cases. For example cooling fans holding with super clue, drives holding in place with only one screw, messy work etc... This is what I'm trying to say with 'quality'. Of course, there's the usual stuff about customer service and everything, not just the manual work of 'cables!'.

Thanks again VG :)

vangogh
06-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Again I don't want to say your current tagline is bad. I'm thinking the personal touch part is what you want to get across most. I think quality is something that's expected and you can get that across by doing quality work, having a professional looking site, logo, business cards, etc.

This is just brainstorming so I won't claim it's great.

Custom repair for your personal computer
Personal attention for you PC
Every computer needs a personal touch
Making friends with your PC

Again not necessarily special, but I'm trying to emphasize the personal part. It fits well with your name TechMate. I'm thinking a tagline that's part tech and part mate reinforces the theme and your selling point. Computer, repair, computer repair all get in the tech and words like personal, friend, mate, attention, touch emphasize the personal.

Dan F
06-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Actually I really like the third one :) I'm thinking of going ahead with that!

EDIT: What should I ask the winner to provide when done? In terms of files formatting, so I would be able to use them wherever I want, business cards, website, shirts... anything.

vangogh
06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
You want to make sure the image you get are vector files. That way you'll be able to enlarge and shrink the image without quality loss. There are several formats they could deliver, but common ones are .ai, .eps, and even pdf files. You may also want psd files which are Photoshop formats.

Glad you like one of the taglines. Maybe my brainstorming wasn't so bad.

Dan F
06-04-2009, 11:57 AM
You're becoming my online business adviser :D

vangogh
06-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Cool. I'll send you a bill for my consulting fee :)

Just glad I can help. Always happy to pass on anything I've learned.