PDA

View Full Version : Positive experience with LinkedIn

huggytree
04-25-2009, 09:09 AM
i was at a marketing roundtable 2 days ago with the local builders association

someone mentioned LinkedIn.com as a good place to find business

so i did it!

i joined several local business groups and left the post 'free plumbing advice given here'

i dont mind giving out free advice and i thought it was a good way to be noticed....2nd reply was from a 24 unit condo association in a rich community (i work there often)...they arent happy with their plumber and wanted my phone #

i recommend everyone try it!

vangogh
04-25-2009, 11:48 AM
LinkedIn is a good site. Great way to connect with other business owners. I probably don't use the site as well as I should, but I do have a profile.

Congrats on making it work for you so fast. Look for people posting plumbing related questions and answer them. That should help set you up as the expert and hopefully lead to more jobs.

cbscreative
04-26-2009, 05:45 PM
This seems more like a confession thread so far as I too have not used LinkedIn like I should. Maybe it's my ties to the "old ways" in spite of the fact that I welcome change and strive to stay current. I've had a profile for some time now, but have not fully taken the plunge.

vangogh
04-27-2009, 01:34 AM
I'll have to look for it, but a couple of weeks ago I came across a video by a web designer(?) explaining how she used several social media sites, one of which was LinkedIn. I think she said she used LinkedIn much like a rolodex. She used the site mainly as a way to collect contacts. It made sense to me, though maybe you have to watch the video and see how she used the other sites as well to see how they all tied in.

I'll look for the video and maybe post a general social media thread about it.

rezzy
04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I have recently started re-examining my linkedin network and started adding some of groups and other friends and people I work with.

Its has given me exposure but no returns ATM.

KristineS
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I like LinkedIn and I've made some connections through it, but I don't use it like I should either. I need to spend some more time on my profile there.

Glad to hear it worked for you huggy. That's great!

vangogh
04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
By the way here's the other thread I started, How to make Social Media Work for Your Business (http://www.small-business-forum.net/internet-marketing/1379-how-make-social-media-work-your-business.html).

I'd highly recommend watching the video I linked to in that thread. It's about 6 minutes and I think makes clear what social media and networking is all about.

SimplyBRG
04-27-2009, 04:01 PM
I have been a member of LinkIN for about a year and I have not received one referral from anyone on that site. I am attorney so maybe it is more useful to other types of business. To me it seems like nothing more than an address book for friends and colleagues. Maybe I am not using it the right way.

vangogh
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Try not to think of any specific social networking site as a direct means of business. I think they work best when used to build relationships with people who may then send you work indirectly.

For example someone who has your contact info from LinkedIn also connects with you at a site like Twitter. They recognize your name and you strike up small conversations. That leads them to visit your website and get a better feel for what you do. Perhaps they link to your site from their site or recommend someone to give you a call.

The business you get may not directly have come from LinkedIn, but LinkedIn may have contributed to business.

Watch the video in the post I linked to above. I think it will shed some light on the whole process.

huggytree
04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I have people coming out of the woodwork asking to be LinkedIn with me. People i met once months ago...its alittle strange...i made an impression on them obviously..good networkers remember everyone i guess....my memory isnt that good....i remember them when they tell me who they are....just seeing their name or company i draw a blank

another person offered to get me some plumbing work at a nursing home..i dont have the commercial experience...but its 2 possible plumbing offers in 4 days....ill be happy with a job or 2 from it a year...

elsoft
05-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi.I have joined Linkedin recently,without actaully knowing much about the site.Now I am very much engrossed to this site.Its a great community of entreprenuers and people rich with experience.Its a great place with some excellent discussions.

It is a site recommended for someone in business as well as some one looking for business.

vangogh
05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
It is a good place to connect with other people in business. Do you get into the questions and answers there?

elsoft
05-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Hmm...Not really.I actaully read through them and in the process adding up people.Not much of question and answers in linkedin so far.

vangogh
05-02-2009, 01:27 PM
If you're interested he's a series of articles on How-Tos for LinkedIn (http://www.linkedintelligence.com/linkedin-how-tos-from-dave-taylor/)

huggytree
05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
i landed my 1st linkedin job today

its a small service/repair job...but its in the neighborhood i like to work in.

less than 2 weeks and a job...i consider it a success.

everything i ever do gets me a job or 2....its been one of my keys to success...do everything!...it always pays off....50 small networking things = success

vangogh
05-02-2009, 04:39 PM
everything i ever do gets me a job or 2....its been one of my keys to success...do everything!...it always pays off....50 small networking things = success

That's good advice. Everyone might not have the same success as you have, but you always need to keep trying different things to see what works and what doesn't. Then do more of what works and replace what doesn't work with something new.

bizcard
05-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I've signed up to linkedIn for more a year now. It is actually from a client of mine, I guess the idea of having recommended by someone reputable is really nice and beef up your profile.