PDA

View Full Version : What's your most expensive paperweight?

Brian Altenhofel
02-04-2015, 02:46 PM
I took on a fairly large client. They use Pages and Numbers for their documents. Of course, I use Linux, so I can't open those documents. I can open Microsoft Office documents just fine, but not the Apple "equivalents". Honestly, this is the first time that I've seen a company that wasn't a "we-wanna-be-bought-by-Apple" startup use these applications so heavily. Maybe out of convenience on personal devices, sure.

At the rates that I charge, I feel like it should be expected that I be able to open and use any non-boutique format. Since these applications are Apple products and likely in reasonably widespread use, I don't consider them boutique. So I did a little searching to see how I could access them on Linux and found that there is a web interface at iCloud.com similar to Google Docs. Check Apple's help pages and they clearly state that you do not need an Apple device to use iCloud and can sign up directly through iCloud.com to get an AppleID without a device.

As it turns out, the signup page referenced in their docs doesn't exist (docs were updated only a month ago). Found the AppleID site and signed up. Attempted to login to iCloud and received a message that only AppleIDs with currently active iPhones or iPads can be used for iCloud.

So... today I had to go buy an iPad Mini. Thankfully, Walmart sells them for only $239 ($250-$280 was what I was seeing on Amazon for the same model number), so all it required was a quick trip to the nearest Walmart 20 miles down the road. Bought it, got it home, and turned it on long enough to set up, activate, and verify that I could access iCloud. Left all the plastic on, turned it off, and put it back in the box.

Harold Mansfield
02-04-2015, 03:50 PM
That sucks. And yeah, Apple are still little b*tches about their closed ecosystem (sorry Apple fans :)). Luckily I brought an iPod a while back so that's how I set up all of my Apple accounts.

Mybiggest paper weight used to be the blue-ray player that I never once put a disk in, but I gave it away along with a 5 disc DVD player, and a 100lb surround sound system from the early 2000's (couldn't find a fuse for the sub anyway, or I'd have kept it).

I have a netbook that I used twice and then tablets came out.
I have a cracked Nexus 7 that I've used 3 times and it's my 2nd out of 3 ( lost 1, cracked 1).
I have a Blue Yeti microphone, Blue pop filter, Blue shock mount, and mic stand with a swing arm attachment that I literally used for 20 minutes when I thought I could do my own voice overs. It took me longer than that to set it up.

Still got my original XBOX (back in the box). Not sure why I'm saving it, but I can't bring myself to even give it away.

And then various modems and routers that I keep having to upgrade because the speeds keep changing.

Oh yeah, and my printer which I haven't even used enough in 3 years to even need a cartridge change.

billbenson
02-04-2015, 06:52 PM
My wife is both very disorganized and a horder. I have everything in my office within arms reach from a bra (my personal favorate) to car keys to hard drives waiting to be put to sleep with a shotgun (my contribution to the party).

LesslieStrong
02-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Brian, dont they have return policy? You might be able to just return it if in original packaging and without damage.
Often shops have return policy without need of explanation if returned quickly. Its good for you, because you can return the hardware and it is good for shop as most likely you will buy from them more hardware as you will trust them!

Brian Altenhofel
02-07-2015, 04:10 PM
If I return it, then I'll no longer be able to access iCloud documents sent by clients, so that defeats the purpose.

carloborja
02-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Not sure about the process of your client, but can you not access the documents from the web?

Haven't really tried it myself. But, looks like iCloud.com (iCloud web) will allow you to upload these Apple documents and open it from there?

All you need is an iCloud account (which I assume you've already set up).

Brian Altenhofel
02-10-2015, 11:46 AM
You can't access iCloud via the web unless you have an iPhone or iPad attached to your Apple ID.

Harold Mansfield
02-10-2015, 02:00 PM
You can't access iCloud via the web unless you have an iPhone or iPad attached to your Apple ID.

Actually you can. You just log in with your Apple ID
https://www.icloud.com/

But you may need a device to view documents. But there's an option to install iCloud on your Windows PC.
http://download.info.apple.com/Mac_OS_X/031-13122.20141208.abbfo/icloudsetup.exe

And this article says you can sync iCloud with your Android device, but I haven't vetted it.
http://icloudandroid.org/

Brian Altenhofel
02-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Actually you can. You just log in with your Apple ID
https://www.icloud.com/

As I said in the OP, I originally tried that. When I attempted to sign-in with an Apple ID, I received an error message that the iCloud service requires your Apple ID to have a currently active iPhone or iPad attached. It would not let me continue past that point at iCloud.com.

After I attached a device to the Apple ID, it lets me in just fine. I don't use the device at all - I do it all through Google Chrome (sending a Mozilla browser ID because Apple blocks Chrome since it's a Google product). I even tried removing the device and attempting to login afterward - after removing the device, I received the "you must have an active device" message again.

I have no use for anything Windows. There is nothing running Windows in my office. The Android link only applies to calendars (CalDAV) and emails (IMAP), not applications like Pages and Numbers.