PDA

View Full Version : Best Places To Present To Investors

Owen
02-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Hello! :D

My company is looking for investors. We make 3D printers, and lately our prototype has been in development. We have invested a lot of money into it, and we think it's time to really start wanting investors. The question is: are there any investment conventions or something where I can go on stage and speak about it and hopefully get investors? I live in Maine, so anything near Boston would be great.

THANKS

Harold Mansfield
02-02-2015, 08:02 PM
I would imagine in your area there are a few events like that. They're probably not billed as "Investor Conventions", usually people just call them conventions or trade shows but this is where people who make decisions go to find the "hot new thing".

You should also be doing something to help yourself in the meanwhile like a website that showcases your product and putting together a press pack that you can distribute around to the tech industry and even the local news to get yourself some free publicity which in turn may produce some interest.....if you do it properly.

Fulcrum
02-02-2015, 08:43 PM
I can't help you too much with investors but I'm in agreement with Harold about the website. I looked over yours and I'm going to assume that it is still in development.

One thing I've noticed about 3d printers is that they are very niche and seem to fit best in a prototype shop environment (I could be wrong with the 2nd part of the statement). This, along with Chinese made machines watering down the market, may limit the investors that will want to jump on board.

Owen
02-02-2015, 10:07 PM
I can't help you too much with investors but I'm in agreement with Harold about the website. I looked over yours and I'm going to assume that it is still in development.

One thing I've noticed about 3d printers is that they are very niche and seem to fit best in a prototype shop environment (I could be wrong with the 2nd part of the statement). This, along with Chinese made machines watering down the market, may limit the investors that will want to jump on board.

The largest 3D printing company has a stock price of $70+ at this point. I'm not sure how they did things, since they haven't officially released anything. I hope I can find something :)

Freelancier
02-03-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure how they did thingsThey own a boatload of patents and have the technology to "print" not just using nylon/plastic, but other materials as well. So they're considered a buy-up candidate when one of the bigger technology companies -- often mentioned is HP -- decides to get into that space. Otherwise, the stock price is divorced from their current sales/profits reality.

Harold Mansfield
02-03-2015, 01:59 PM
They own a boatload of patents and have the technology to "print" not just using nylon/plastic, but other materials as well.

A boatload of patents always helps.

Paul
02-04-2015, 12:02 AM
If you are really ready for prime time try MoneyShow.com: Upcoming Conferences (http://www.moneyshow.com/conferences.asp). Companies exhibit like a trade show for investors. You must be very prepared in all ways for this kind of show, slick presentation, good looking booth, financial “offering” type docs , a good spokesperson and I recommend a closer . There is a lot of investment money walking around but you have to be really tuned up and prepared to attract some.

I’ve exhibited at their Vegas show, not sure what they have around Boston.

Owen
02-04-2015, 04:46 PM
They own a boatload of patents and have the technology to "print" not just using nylon/plastic, but other materials as well. So they're considered a buy-up candidate when one of the bigger technology companies -- often mentioned is HP -- decides to get into that space. Otherwise, the stock price is divorced from their current sales/profits reality.

So you're saying HP could screw everyone over if they wanted to get into it?

Freelancier
02-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Nope, just like IBM doesn't screw everyone over with all their PC patents and HP doesn't screw everyone over with their printing patents. But they do make money on them.

Harold Mansfield
02-04-2015, 04:53 PM
They could however, spend you out of business pretty easily. And probably for cheaper than the lawyers it takes to do it legally.

bgallegos
06-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Have you tried AngelList (https://angel.co/) or EquityNet.com? They are online platforms that connect startups with investors. Good luck!

[ link drop removed]

pushtheproduct
07-29-2015, 04:42 AM
There are a ton of festivals. SxSW in Austin, Las Vegas has thinktank/startup groups all the time. Chicago constantly has things as well. Possibly New York if in a budget crunch.

SafeHouse
08-04-2015, 01:11 PM
whether HP or IBM has a stake in this sector or not should pose a deterrent to you. If truly you have giants to contend with, your competitive advantage won't be the material used or the technology employed but, pay rapt attention, the creativity of your mold design. That's it, the uniqueness and appeal of your creative output is your potent selling point and distinguishing factor. Be Bold. And Stay Creative!

<removed>